U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

322 posts, read 707,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
American kids have been playing soccer in droves for decades now, yet it doesn't seem to translate into the adult years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Soccer seems to be doing Okay on a niche level. Not much more than that though. The words "amazingly well" will only apply if you begin to see heavily hyped matches of free to air tv every weekend like you have with college football or basketball.
I think the issue is that the sport (fan wise, not player wise) has been improving over the years, but it has been a much more gradual improvement than an "overnight" one. I first got into soccer as a fan in 1989 and when you compare the 1989-95 type years with today it's night and day how much more popular it is now. However, the process to get to today has been so gradual that not many people have noticed. And it's not like it's "mainstream" yet or anything. But it is so, so much more popular now than it was when I got into it in 1989.

In my opinion, it will keep growing at this rate over the next few decades and, although it may never supplant the NFL, it could get up to MLB/NBA/NHL levels. Of course, predicting the future is a guessing game that anybody can disagree with, but that's my prediction.

Even if the U.S. were to win the World Cup in a couple months (long shot, of course, but always possible), I think that would obviously propel interest in soccer in this country upward, but it's not like MLS games would then start averaging 50,000 a game either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,439 times
Good point.

I think soccer will have REALLY arrived, when we look at the World Cup with HALF as much spectator interest and media frenzy as we do the Super Bowl or Oympics. Aside from some obligatory ESPN coverage, you'd wouldn't know the thing is going on here.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 AM

896 posts, read 242,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I would tend to agree with No. 2 moreso than No. 1. American kids have been playing soccer in droves for decades now, yet it doesn't seem to translate into the adult years.
I think one of the reasons soccer doesn't do as well in the states as the rest of the world is because the other sports in the US are getting the best of the best athletes. NFL,NBA,MLB. Could you picture Dwight Howard (who played soccer as a kid) as a centerback? Lebron as a striker? Ha, here's a game, name the World Cup team's starting 11 from other US sports.

Until we are able to bridge that gap, we will not see US players as world players.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Good point.

I think soccer will have REALLY arrived, when we look at the World Cup with HALF as much spectator interest and media frenzy as we do the Super Bowl or Oympics. Aside from some obligatory ESPN coverage, you'd wouldn't know the thing is going on here.
When the event actually starts, you will definitely know it is going on.

Not sure if it will reach half of the Super Bowl and Olympics media frenzy, but it will definitely be on the front page of newspapers, on TV, etc. It's just that it's still a few weeks away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
I think one of the reasons soccer doesn't do as well in the states as the rest of the world is because the other sports in the US are getting the best of the best athletes. NFL,NBA,MLB. Could you picture Dwight Howard (who played soccer as a kid) as a centerback? Lebron as a striker? Ha, here's a game, name the World Cup team's starting 11 from other US sports.

Until we are able to bridge that gap, we will not see US players as world players.
Very good points in terms of our skill as soccer players and as a national team. In most countries, many of the best athletes in that country play soccer, which is definitely not the case here in the U.S.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 8,168 times
ESPN isn't doing bad at showing the game. There at least are giving a damn about it which is great since it's the biggest sport event.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,439 times
It is true, I am surprised how much geniune hype they are giving the event (understandable given that they need to recoup on their investment).

Still one thing I see is that outside of them, no one is really talking about it.

Case in point, unlike South of the Border. In the USA you CANNOT skip work or sneak viewing of the World Cup at work, that'll prolly get your fanny fired.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,019,471 times
Alot of people are excited about the world cup. I'm even going to 2 world cup parties. Ive noticed a lot of younger people (mainly 20-30 somethings) are really excited about it. It seems as if it's the older, grumpy crowd that is indifferent about it.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It is true, I am surprised how much geniune hype they are giving the event (understandable given that they need to recoup on their investment).

Still one thing I see is that outside of them, no one is really talking about it.

Case in point, unlike South of the Border. In the USA you CANNOT skip work or sneak viewing of the World Cup at work, that'll prolly get your fanny fired.
Like I said before, wait until the event actually starts before judging how popular it is here. It's not like people talk nonstop about the Olympics weeks before it starts.

Oh, and damage to the economy is so overrated when it comes to people missing work due to March Madness or the World Cup. In the whole scheme of things, having some people miss work for a couple days a year (or, in the case of the World Cup, every four years) is a drop in the bucket in terms of the economy. And if you allow your workers (who are interested in the games) to miss a little bit of work (unpaid of course, or with vacation time, etc.), that will go a long ways to help increase their job satisfaction, which will more than pay itself off in the long run.

Just my two cents ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Alot of people are excited about the world cup. I'm even going to 2 world cup parties. Ive noticed a lot of younger people (mainly 20-30 somethings) are really excited about it. It seems as if it's the older, grumpy crowd that is indifferent about it.
Good point about the age group. No official studies have been done as far as I know, but just from looking at those who attend Sounders games, it appears to be - for the most part - a younger group of people than those who attend Mariners or Seahawks games. There are exceptions, of course (like this really cool older guy I was next to a couple games early this season), but in general soccer fans are in their 20s and 30s. But that's the group that grew up when soccer slowly started to take off (early 1990s and thereafter). For example, I got hooked on soccer in 1989 when I was 14 and haven't looked back since. And I feel like I am in the older group at games lol.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,767,902 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, I already have taken off work all of the days the US play in the group stage along with the days they will play if they make it into the knock out rounds.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,380,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Speak for yourself, I already have taken off work all of the days the US play in the group stage along with the days they will play if they make it into the knock out rounds.
In our offices we have "commons" with a TV set. During world cup this shows the games. A lot of people will take time out to watch certain matches and make up for it by working a bit later. We see no problem with it. In fact, it is something of a morale booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer