U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 AM

59 posts, read 142,294 times

Advertisements

I grew up playing hockey and whenever I was injured on the ice, if I could make it to the bench I did as did everyone else. If I couldn't make it to the bench I had to wait for the trainers to come and help me. I have been hooked on soccer since watching a Dynamo game last month but one thing that struck me was all these players that would take a hit and stay down. The play was still going on but they were not getting up to help their team. When the referee finally stopped the play, the player took a minute then got up and started limping around and then was playing the game again. My thought was that they fake the severity. Is there any truth to that? Do they do it with the intention of the ref drawing a yellow or red card? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM

580 posts, read 877,933 times
Some do it more than others. Also some refs are tougher than others and they might hesitate longer before calling the md staff onto the field.
Sometimes it looks like a fake and it's not, it's just that people who don't know...well, don't know.
I remember back in my days playing for the regional title in Italy and during a corner kick, a defender of the other team hit me involuntarily with his knee right on my upper stomach, below the ribs.

I went down and it wasn't really pain, but I could not talk and felt I could not breath. They got me out of the field and the docs were rotating my arms in wide movements while telling me to breath slowly and one of them was sort of massaging my ribs while applying some pressure.
I guess for the crowd it really looked something abd happened.
At a certain point, I regained my breath all of a sudden, and got up on my feet. The whole thing lasted less than a minute. Now that I could breath I was fine, the pain was minimal.

So I went back on the field, running ,and from that moment to the very end of the game I was booed by the home crowd as soon as I was touching the ball, as they all flet I faked the injury to get a penalty kick.

The bottom line is not always when a player gets back up and start running, he was faking, it depends on the injury.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM

59 posts, read 142,294 times
Alright, that makes sense. Thanks. If the ref feels a player is faking it, is there any penalty for that player?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM

119 posts, read 234,189 times
I don't know about in other countries, but in England the general rule regarding injuries is that unless it is really serious or a head injury, play can continue - it is often see as the sporting thing to kick the ball out though so the player can recieve treatment. But in some cases...say a player for team A goes down but team A still attack and have a chance, it might not be to their benefit that they stop play...but if a team A player goes down and the ball goes to team B, it is ungentlemanly for team B not to kick the ball out.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,899,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdweller View Post
Alright, that makes sense. Thanks. If the ref feels a player is faking it, is there any penalty for that player?

Yes, you can receive a yellow card for diving.

I think FIFA should form a committee that reviews all games for divers and then suspends any player caught diving. It is something that is plaguing the game and needs to be eliminated.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM

322 posts, read 717,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yes, you can receive a yellow card for diving.

I think FIFA should form a committee that reviews all games for divers and then suspends any player caught diving. It is something that is plaguing the game and needs to be eliminated.
100 percent agree. FIFA does need to video review all games in their jurisdiction (i.e. international games: World Cup, World Cup qualifiers, etc.) and pass laws having countries do so themselves if they have the available technology (and money, in some cases). It is so frustrating that acting has become such a big part of this amazing sport.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,092,207 times
But I hate cards given for dives... if it is obvious sure, but I know when I play and am on the attack, usually it is at great speed and after expending a ton of energy... so if I go down after a little contact, it's because I couldn't have stayed up if I tried!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
100 percent agree. FIFA does need to video review all games in their jurisdiction (i.e. international games: World Cup, World Cup qualifiers, etc.) and pass laws having countries do so themselves if they have the available technology (and money, in some cases). It is so frustrating that acting has become such a big part of this amazing sport.

FIFA actually has jurisdiction over practically all soccer games. They should review every game excluding exhibitions for diving and hand out suspensions without pay when applicable. I think we would immediately start seeing a difference.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 PM

322 posts, read 717,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
FIFA actually has jurisdiction over practically all soccer games. They should review every game excluding exhibitions for diving and hand out suspensions without pay when applicable. I think we would immediately start seeing a difference.
I guess what I mean is direct jurisdiction. Yes, FIFA is essentially the ruling body of every game, including overseeing the Spokane Spiders playing the Kitsap Pumas. But I believe it would be better (more cost-effective) if the leagues themselves were responsible for reviewing the video. And just have FIFA review video for those games where they are the sole overseer (i.e. World Cup, World Cup qualifiers, Confederations Cup). Have CONCACAF oversee the Gold Cup, the Premier League or the FA oversee Premier League games, U.S. Soccer or MLS oversee MLS games, etc. FIFA would create the rules, but would not actually oversee the games themselves except for World Cup, etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
I guess what I mean is direct jurisdiction. Yes, FIFA is essentially the ruling body of every game, including overseeing the Spokane Spiders playing the Kitsap Pumas. But I believe it would be better (more cost-effective) if the leagues themselves were responsible for reviewing the video. And just have FIFA review video for those games where they are the sole overseer (i.e. World Cup, World Cup qualifiers, Confederations Cup). Have CONCACAF oversee the Gold Cup, the Premier League or the FA oversee Premier League games, U.S. Soccer or MLS oversee MLS games, etc. FIFA would create the rules, but would not actually oversee the games themselves except for World Cup, etc.

Maybe. If they did that I would like for one league's committee to review another league's tapes. That way there would be no conflict of interest. For example, the MLS committee could review Mexico's league games and vice verse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer