Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I made a similar point in another thread here in the soccer section. When you go to see Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, Peyton Manning, Barry Sanders, Ovechkin, Paquino play or compete you know you watched one of the greats in the game, the athletic ability comes through. While I can watch Messi, Kaka, Rooney, or other soccer greats and not even know they are on the field, they might not get a shot off, or a shot that goes over the goalies head by 30 yards. Soccer games are hardly ever entertaining too because the first teams that scores usually wins the game, you hardly if ever get the back and forth action like you do in a great basketball or football game where every single play counts. The why soccer is played makes that impossible, the last 20 minutes of a soccer game is usually one team keeping the ball away from the other.
I get it...ball possession in NFL where teams control the ball for the last 20 minutes of the game with boring 4 yard gain running plays (4-5 minutes clock time in NFL)= exciting...but, ball possession in soccer= borning. What?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM

615 posts, read 544,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I get it...ball possession in NFL where teams control the ball for the last 20 minutes of the game with boring 4 yard gain running plays (4-5 minutes clock time in NFL)= exciting...but, ball possession in soccer= borning. What?
No one holds the ball for 20 minutes straight in an NFL game, there are more comebacks in a weekend of the NFL then there has been in over 70+? WC games so far, there were three teams in the WC who didn't score the first goal to come back and win a game, thats lame. There is a better chance of getting the ball back when a team is running too and scoring, then in a game where the bulk of the action is 70 yards away from the goal, and the goal is surronded by over half a dozen dudes, in a game where it is hard to score to begin with.... So if you score a freaky goal in the first 5 minutes of a WC game you have something like 95% chance of winning, its retarded dude, no way around it. I know the game is over when my team goes down by 1 goal, I don't even have to watch the rest of the game.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Oh, one last point I want to make, the reason why fans in soccer can jump around in the stands and sing songs during the game is because nothing is going on in the field, the product (actual game) isn't entertaining enough to keep the fans occupied so they have to do juvenile stuff like sing songs, jump up and down, call each other monkies, and shoot flares at each other. if the game was exciting and entertaining they wouldn't de doing that junk, they'd be watching the footie!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:05 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
Young Herman:

Have you realized that you are not following a sport?

The NFL is just a tv show. NFL followers are just like any grandma who watches Smallville or Dr. House and has to deal with tons of commercials.

World football is a true sport. Please, stop the hate towards a sport that is popular worldwide.

I undertand if you love the 67 minutes of NFL commercials.. Some are hilarious... Those budweiser and pepsi commercials can be very creative.. and some NFL lovers enjoyed the nipple of Janet Jackson during the superbowl.

Don't bash world football... You can't win.. Because NFL "football" is not football. It is a tv show played by Ogres wrestling and throwing a Vesica Piscis shaped object.

Don't be mad when you read my words... Blame the greedy $$$ NFL owners, they destroyed what could have been a golden opportunity to create a real US version of Rugby football.

Australian rules football
Rugby Football
and Association Football

ARE FOOTBALL

The NFL version is a downgraded and extreme capitalistic version that killed the essence of the sport.

Last edited by Edu983; 07-10-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
Quote:
No one holds the ball for 20 minutes straight in an NFL game, there are more comebacks in a weekend of the NFL then there has been in over 70+? WC games so far, there were three teams in the WC who didn't score the first goal to come back and win a game, thats lame. There is a better chance of getting the ball back when a team is running too and scoring, then in a game where the bulk of the action is 70 yards away from the goal, and the goal is surronded by over half a dozen dudes, in a game where it is hard to score to begin with.... So if you score a freaky goal in the first 5 minutes of a WC game you have something like 95% chance of winning, its retarded dude, no way around it. I know the game is over when my team goes down by 1 goal, I don't even have to watch the rest of the game.
I have seen NFL and college football teams on numerous occasions start milking the clock with like 6-7 minutes left. That equals around 20 minutes or so when you add in all the commercials, timouts and other bs.

Sure NFL games have more combacks than soccer games. But, there are a hell of alot more blowouts in the NFL and college football than there are in soccer games. To me, nothing is more boring than a blowout. Out of the 11 NFL playoff games last year 5 of those games were complete blowouts. Out of the 15 world cup knockout round games there have been 3 blowouts. Bottom line...I'll take a 1-0 soccer game any day over a 52-14 NFL or college football game.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
I have been getting more interested in soccer the last few years. Espns decision to televise premier league game from Britain was a good one-----I enjoy watching. I cant imagine making these admissions several year ago, but the sport has grown on me.

Americans are more into immediacy and heightened pace for their sports. Something has got to be continually happenning or the attention span of our folks will wane. Being a baseball fan, that is the reason for declining interest among our youth in that great sport-----not enough action and immediacy-----kids dont want to see stratedgy and moves slowly deveop---the want mma or prime time wresting to see head banging.

I feel sorry for our generation-----give me cell phones with 500 gadgets----give me mma---give me video games---give me other action sports that require zero concentration and focus so I can see somebody knocked on their butt and I can grunt.

I wish I can say soccer will attract a larger audience in this country, other than at world cup time. I dont see it happenning as I dont Americans are willing to sacrifice their everything must happen now attitudes.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Young Herman:

Have you realized that you are not following a sport?

The NFL is just a tv show. NFL followers are just like any grandma who watches Smallville or Dr. House and has to deal with tons of commercials.

World football is a true sport. Please, stop the hate towards a sport that is popular worldwide.

I don't care if you love NFL commercials.. Some are hilarious... Those budweiser and pepsi commercials can be very creative.. and some NFL lovers enjoyed the nipple of Janet Jackson during the superbowl.

Don't bash world football... You can't win.. Because NFL "football" is not football. It is a tv show played by Ogres wrestling and throwing a Vesica Piscis shaped object.

Don't be mad when you read my words... Blame the greedy $$$ NFL owners, they destroyed what could have been a golden opportunity to create a real US rugby football version.

Australian rules football
Rugby Football
and Association Football

ARE FOOTBALL

The NFL version is a downgraded and extreme capitalistic version that killed the essence of the sport.
I can't decide whether to find it hilarious or pathetic the way you rail against the money machine that is the NFL. Do futbol clubs not care about making money? How much money does the EPL get from the Barclay's sponsorship? The TV contracts with Sky and ESPN? How much do clubs get for the sponsors on the kits or for the in-stadium advertising that's constantly in your face while you're trying to watch a match?

The hate coming from both sides is stupid. As a few others have pointed out, each sport requires a different skill set. Both are legitimate sport. We can argue over whether one is more boring than the other, but let's stop trying to say that one or the other isn't a real sport. You only make yourself look like a real moron. Those "ogres" you speak of could easily, in a one-on-one matchup, crush any of your favorite futbol players -- Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Donovan, you name him. On the other hand, any of those futbol players could probably outrun an offensive/defensive lineman (not so much a RB or DB).

Do any of your beloved futbol players have to remember a 4-6 inch-thick playbook? Perhaps that's why you love soccer so much......So easy, a caveman can do it, Mr. Geico commercial guy?

You're a real piece of work. Fortunately, most of my fellow soccer fans aren't as moronic as you.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Something has got to be continually happenning or the attention span of our folks will wane....
How can that be? Don't you know that football is nothing but stops and starts with a lot of TV commercials?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 AM

489 posts, read 1,192,306 times
Quote:
Oh, one last point I want to make, the reason why fans in soccer can jump around in the stands and sing songs during the game is because nothing is going on in the field, the product (actual game) isn't entertaining enough to keep the fans occupied so they have to do juvenile stuff like sing songs, jump up and down, call each other monkies, and shoot flares at each other. if the game was exciting and entertaining they wouldn't de doing that junk, they'd be watching the footie!
Young Herman you have a small but growing fan club here in England.We all( 9 members )find your posts hysterically funny keep up the good work.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 PM

First 20 minutes of the world cup final match, been boring as can be so far. Spain has scored 7 goals the entire tourney but still made it to the finals, nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer