Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times

Advertisements

Oh im sorry you're right... why bother with actual statistics measuring a player's athleticism... let's be really objective and say what we "think"... i "think" messi is a better athlete than nate robinson.. nate robinson can run faster, jump higher, and is stronger.. but those aren't signs of athleticism. i'm just being a jerk and messi rulez =(

This thread was full of outspoken soccer fans, posting links of idiots in the stands lighting flares and singing stupid songs as their basis for why soccer is "cool" lol yet when the real reasons as to why American fans don't like watching soccer started coming in.. suddenly it got REAL quiet.

Basketball, Football and even baseball have tons of freak athletes.

soccer has a 5'7 150 pound "man" as its BEST player in the world.
what other sport could messi play? he'd get broken in half in football or hockey, no athleticism to play basketball, too short for tennis (unless he played against women, and even then he'd be shorter than most players LOLOL), not fast enough for track, not strong enough for body building

i guess his "special" height and weight make him the perfect "athlete" for soccer HAHAHAHAH

now that I have answered the question, feel free to thank me via private messages or here. Also I accept your apologies ahead of time.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Hahaha, not only do you think vertical leap is a significant statistic (where's the trophy for highest jump?), but you've now dragged baseball into this conversation about incredible athletes....

Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Hahaha, not only do you think vertical leap is a significant statistic (where's the trophy for highest jump?), but you've now dragged baseball into this conversation about incredible athletes....
You don't know what you are talking about. There is nothing more athletic than sitting in a dugout for 2.5 hours.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. There is nothing more athletic than sitting in a dugout for 2.5 hours.
Oh yeah, even the managers are athletes. Do tobacco and sunflower seeds count as "performance-enhancing?"

Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,816 times
Nate robinson WHO . Why the world loves football( Maradona 5'5, fat and also a Genius)

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ a clip from 1986... does this mean in the 24 years since there isn't something to show the 'athleticism' in soccer? hahahahahah!

and that is hardly a show of athleticism lol... it does show impressive 'dribbling' skills or whatever you call the control of the ball. very much like golfers have great control of their swings and their ability to place golf balls very close to the hole is just as impressive. is it a show of athleticism? nope.

this, yes:

YouTube - Vince Carter dunk

this, yes:

YouTube - Best Juke Ever

this, yes:

YouTube - BARRY SANDERS OWNS

^especially considering he's being chased by mutant linemen and linebackers/corners 7-8 inches taller and much heavier than he is, all looking to take his head off, as opposed to the guys basically chasing around maradona like they're playing tag.

and lastly:

^ nothing, NOTHING in soccer comes close to this in terms of athleticism.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM

489 posts, read 1,192,816 times
Why the fascination with large men. Very Homoerotic ,something to tell us?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 AM

lol aww is that what ur resorting to? I guess its "homoerotic" to watch men in tiny shorts running around then too isn't it you insecure middle aged virgin

My most used example being the 5'8 nate Robinson voids your pathetic red herring, clown

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
I think this thread is dead - or at least it should be.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
Soccer Players are great athletes and they certainly have a lot of skill and ability.

The problem is that none of the above makes the sport any more interesting for me to watch. My soccer friends tell me that the game is not all about scoring - its about the fight for ball possession. I guess I can understand this, but I can't seem to find any of it very interesting.

There just seems to be too many people fighting for the ball and too little scoring or breakaway action.

Its a world-wide phenomenon - I get it.
The players are awesome athletes - I get it.
It is not easy to play - I get it.
I don't fully understand the game - maybe, but it still puts me to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer