Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 8,591 times

Advertisements

I always wondered how fundamentally different our perception of soccer is compared to the rest of humanity. Its almost as if we can't even agree on the basics when it comes to soccer, most foreigners think it takes more skill than our sports and we see it as really easy and simple. Not to mention how they seem to think that a game with a 1-0 scoreline is more exciting than a 28-17 football game.

But more than that there seems to be also a huge "uncool" image that soccer has. When the average american thinks of soccer nothing but lame/uncool images pop into mind: soccer moms, little 5 year old girls kicking a ball, mexican immigrants playing soccer in the park...etc.

Will soccer ever shake off this uncool image?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Hi rondembo, you may have some good results posting this in the soccer forum, this subject has come up quite a few times in there. Good luck

Edit--this one survived in the general sports section and addressed a lot of what you asked

Legit question for those that don't like soccer

Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
It already is shedding this image. Most of the soccer bashers I knew have either gone to indifferent or they actually appreciate the sport now.

The thing is that people bash soccer without actually knowing anything about it. When they actually learn the game many of them have this moment where they realize it is actually a good sport that is entertaining.

Now, that I have said my peace, cue the CD Soccer Bashers and their unintelligent, uninformed comments.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 8,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It already is shedding this image. Most of the soccer bashers I knew have either gone to indifferent or they actually appreciate the sport now.

The thing is that people bash soccer without actually knowing anything about it. When they actually learn the game many of them have this moment where they realize it is actually a good sport that is entertaining.

Now, that I have said my peace, cue the CD Soccer Bashers and their unintelligent, uninformed comments.
WHy do soccer bashers exist? Why are there no tennis bashers during a grand slam, or rugby bashers during the rugby world cup, or football bashers during the super bowl?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
I always wondered how fundamentally different our perception of soccer is compared to the rest of humanity. Its almost as if we can't even agree on the basics when it comes to soccer, most foreigners think it takes more skill than our sports and we see it as really easy and simple. Not to mention how they seem to think that a game with a 1-0 scoreline is more exciting than a 28-17 football game.

But more than that there seems to be also a huge "uncool" image that soccer has. When the average american thinks of soccer nothing but lame/uncool images pop into mind: soccer moms, little 5 year old girls kicking a ball, mexican immigrants playing soccer in the park...etc.

Will soccer ever shake off this uncool image?
Football game score is completely bunk because a TD counts as 6 points and a field goal counts as 3. If a TD counted as 1 score as it should, it wouldn't seem so high scoring.

The rest of your post is not even worth responding to or even acknowledging... Keep hating while I keep playing and having fun! Cheers!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Soccer bashing is quickly becoming an grumpy old man/ ignorant redneck's club. Neither of which are "cool".

Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
I don’t think it has anything to do with cool or uncool. Most Americans that bash soccer do so because they feel soccer is threatening their beloved American sports like American football or baseball. But in reality, if any of this “soccer bashing” Americans would watch a professional soccer game, they would think different, and it has happened again and again. You tube Drew Carrey and soccer and see what I’m talking about. Having said that, soccer in my opinion would not get too much popular in the US than what it is right now due to one thing; capitalism. As long as Europe remains the Mecca of soccer and keep paying soccer players astronomical salaries a la NBA or MLB, soccer will remain in the eyes of most Americans, a European sport.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
WHy do soccer bashers exist? Why are there no tennis bashers during a grand slam, or rugby bashers during the rugby world cup, or football bashers during the super bowl?
Because none of these other sports try to shove themselves down our throats. None of them take up valuable prime time tv slots on ESPN when they get fewer viewers than the WNBA.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Because none of these other sports try to shove themselves down our throats. None of them take up valuable prime time tv slots on ESPN when they get fewer viewers than the WNBA.
Quit being paranoid dude, no one is shoving anything down your throat (that we know of!) It's World Cup time which only happens every 4 years and that's the reason for the extra coverage.... And you're completely full of crap about the ratings being lower than the WNBA... Sorry, they don't have a special programming JUST for you! Use your remote control, will ya?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

You can choose what you watch. If you dont want to watch soccer games then change the channel or do something else like read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer