Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times

Advertisements

you don't see the 'athletic' types of plays in soccer that you see in football or basketball.
the most impressive things u see are 'dribbling' skills and hard kicks.. other than that nothing
basketball:

in game:

and late game finishes are more exciting and happen more often in other sports.. a 3 point buzzer beater, a hail mary pass, walk off hr in the bottom of the 9th.. what is the equivalent of this in soccer? kicking a penalty kick to decide a game? smh

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No one can dispute the endurance and agility required in soccer.

I think another reason football is more popular in the U.S. may be because even though there is a lot of stopping and starting (as opposed to watching the soccer ball get kicked back and forth over midfield, which is supposed to be 'nonstop action') is that each play is obvious and the significance of each play is obvious. You can more obviously build towards the outcome of the game step-by-step by analyzing each play.

I think that Americans, who notoriously have short attention spans, would gravitate more towards this kind of game. I am one of those people. Go, 'Horns!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
In America it's all about size and strenght. A 6' / 170 lbs soccer player is never going to be as impressive as a 6'4" / 225 lbs football player.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
and late game finishes are more exciting and happen more often in other sports.. a 3 point buzzer beater, a hail mary pass, walk off hr in the bottom of the 9th.. what is the equivalent of this in soccer? kicking a penalty kick to decide a game? smh
Have you been living in a hole the last few days? I think the perfect example of a great late-game finish was the last USA match.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not that you're standing around, it's just that you are not running the entire distance of the field. In situations where the play is concentrated near the other team's goal, you're not doing that much running.
You really have no clue what you are talking about. You either played in a very low level rec league or never at all.

Quote:
You sprint much more in basketball than you do in soccer. You sprint pretty much on every single play. That's why coaches have basketball players run "suicides." When I played soccer, we ran laps, but never suicides. That's because there's not as much of an emphasis on first-step explosiveness and cutting.
You're coach needs to be fired if he isnt doing speed work with his players. I have never had a soccer practice in my life (played for 2 decades) that didnt involve sprints.

We use to start our practice with a 4 mile run and then follow it up with wind sprints the length of the field. We we would usually do ten of those and then actually start our real practice. After practice was over, we would do another set of wind sprints and then usually cool down with a 2 mile run.

Now, I really know you havent played soccer or at least only played in some podunk county rec league where no one knows the sport.

Quote:
In soccer, if you're defending a counterattack, yes, you'll probably have to sprint. But a good bulk of the action in any soccer match takes place in the midfield. So you're not sprinting that much, although you're in motion most of the time.
There is far more sprinting in a game than you will ever know.

Quote:
Half-court basketball takes less physical conditioning than organized soccer. Five-on-Five, full court, basketball on a regulation court, on the other hand, takes a h*** of a lot of fitness, my friend. You get tired much more quickly because of the sequence of events: shot, rebound, fast break, sprint down court, turnover, sprint back up court, shot, miss, fastbreak, run back down court. After a minute of doing that, most people will have their hands on their knees sucking air, including soccer players. If you're playing man-to-man defense on top of that, you will really be spent. Man defense in basketball wears you out in a way that it does not in soccer. You're in constant physical contact with your man, and you're also trying to fight through screens with guys who may have 100 pounds on you.

I don't think soccer takes more endurance than basketball, even though you're running longer distances. In basketball, you're running shorter distances, but you're running hard much more frequently. Basketball also places more emphasis on strength and strength training than soccer. Do you think there's really a soccer player out there who can put Lebron James on his bum? Doubt it.

From a fitness perspective, boxers and other fighters are far more fit than both basketball and soccer players.

I've played both on highly competitive levels. Yes, basketball is much faster paced and short bursts of play will drain you of temporary of energy. However, over the long term, soccer takes far more endurance and physical fitness.

It's been scientifically proven that soccer takes more endurance than basketball.

I can knock LeBron James on his bum and so could you if you knew how to defend properly. If you know how to legally take someone's legs out from under them it doesnt matter how big they are, they are going down.

You really cant compare boxing to soccer and basketball, it is an entirely different animal.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Again, brute strength and power are much more important in basketball than they are in soccer. Can you find any soccer players who are this powerfully built?

Yes, there are some players that large but a bulk of them are not because it would actually hinder their play.

One of the biggest misconceptions that most American sports fans have is that having big muscles means that you are in great shape and a top notch athlete. Having muscles is only one small piece of the equation. We are one of the only countries in the world where we do not appreciate truly great athletes like cyclist, triathletes, or runners.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
In America it's all about size and strenght. A 6' / 170 lbs soccer player is never going to be as impressive as a 6'4" / 225 lbs football player.

Says you. Size is not impressive. If I took the time, I could bulk up to 225 pounds and be a solid rock of muscle too.

Lance Armstrong is only about 6 foot and a 170 pounds and he is a better athlete than anyone in the NFL, NBA, or MLB can even hope to be. No one in those leagues is even worthy enough to suck his dick, much less compare.

He is the best athlete of our time and possibly the best the world has ever known.

Size is not impressive. Nearly anyone can go to a gym and bulk up if they have the time. But building the complete athlete like Armstrong is something most people could not do even if they had all the time in the world to do so.

Something else to note is that you use your hands every single day. You use them to eat, brush your teeth, drive your car, pet your dog, and whatever else you need to accomplish. Have you ever done any of that with your feet?

Using your feet to do anything other than walk or run is damn near impossible. Soccer players use their feet to control a ball. They kick a ball at a full sprint 30 yards to another player running at a full sprint and place it right at their feet.

I bet just about every single person on this board could go outside right now and throw a 30 yard pass with a football or baseball to their friend without even thinking about it. Even people with no training in either sport. However, I bet hardly anyone could do that with kicking a soccer ball even standing still much less doing it while running.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
Will soccer ever shake off this uncool image?
not anytime soon. where i grew up, the soccer kids were about as cool as the trivia team.

i never understood the appeal. it isn't nearly violent enough, it is just running around in circles, with the occasional dive at your opponents feet.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
not anytime soon. where i grew up, the soccer kids were about as cool as the trivia team.

i don't understand the appeal. it isn't nearly violent enough.
Not violent enough as compared to what? Baseball? Where no contact whatsoever occurs?? Basketball, where if you barely touch someone they call a cute little "foul"? Football?? Where you have 50 lbs. of armor protecting you? Give me a break... Some of the most vicious collisions I have ever seen have taken place in soccer.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Not violent enough as compared to what? Baseball? Where no contact whatsoever occurs?? Basketball, where if you barely touch someone they call a cute little "foul"? Football?? Where you have 50 lbs. of armor protecting you? Give me a break... Some of the most vicious collisions I have ever seen have taken place in soccer.
haha, you are obviously not a well rounded athlete.

when you have "50 lbs of armor" -- which is actually about 15 pounds of plastic -- then you can go full speed and deliberately slam your body into someone else's, face first, 50 times per game.

nobody hits with the force, technique, reckless abandon, or frequency of football players. certainly not rugby or soccer -- they can't. if they did they would break every bone in their face, because they don't have pads. it is silly to even try and make the comparison.

Last edited by le roi; 06-25-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer