Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,195 times

Advertisements

I'm in a conundrum. I have a lease with Honda and moved a few months ago from NC. The SC DMV says that I can't register my car in SC (or get SC plates) without an original power of attorney from Honda. Honda says that the SC DMV has to request that themselves. SC DMV says they don't do that, and that Honda has to complete a form and send it - along with my packet of documents and the original power of attorney - to the SC DMV and then they'll process my registration.

I sent my whole package off to Honda in late April. I've heard nothing, and Honda said they don't track it.

Now my NC registration is about to expire and NC is threatening to fine me for cancelling my NC insurance. I have SC insurance, but no SC registration.

How can it be this complicated? Do I just have to turn in my car early to resolve this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,772 times
Did you go through the local DMV or the main DMV office in Columbia?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM

168 posts, read 694,675 times
I had a similar problem with our 2 leased vehicles when we moved here. It seems that nobody at the Balantine DMV office knew anything about registering a leased vehicle. They kept asking for the title and couldn't understand how you could drive a car w/o a title. Long story short, go in person to the DMV, take all of the paperwork you have for your car, when they give you a hard time ask them to call Honda while you're in line. That's what we ended up having to do and although it was very frustrating, it worked.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
I had a similar problem with our 2 leased vehicles when we moved here. It seems that nobody at the Balantine DMV office knew anything about registering a leased vehicle. They kept asking for the title and couldn't understand how you could drive a car w/o a title. Long story short, go in person to the DMV, take all of the paperwork you have for your car, when they give you a hard time ask them to call Honda while you're in line. That's what we ended up having to do and although it was very frustrating, it worked.

My first try was at the DMV, and I didn't even make it to the line before I was sent away with a list of items I had to get from Honda and come back with. That was when the wild goose chase started.

I got an idea this morning, and looked to see if the check I sent with my package had been cashed. It hasn't. So the SC process hasn't even started -- I guess it all died at Honda. I'll have to go to the DMV in person again, I guess. This is ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 PM

113 posts, read 461,994 times
Megassel!
Your thread yesterday regarding the lease and your entry into SC prompted me to immediately inquire about my lease as well. My wife and I are relocating in September from NJ to SC, so your comments hit home. I immediately called Wells-Fargo which is where our financing for our new Toyota is based. I explained to them your problem and Wells-Fargo indicated that as soon as we move to contact them and request a "out of state title transfer " They would immediately provide me with all the necessary forms that you spoke about and they assured me that I would have no problems. You are correct though in that anyone in your situation and the same as mine must get the required paperwork to take to the DMV. I was hoping that because our lease was through Wesll-Fargo and not Toyota that I would avoid the problem but I was told that I would also need to acquire the necessary paperwork in order to satisfy the DMV.

I guess the DMV's are only doing their jobs, but here in NJ you always seems to get the run around or get to the front of the line only to be sent home looking for this form, proof etc. They are all the same.

Good Luck with your processing.

Allentown

Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
I am guessing this will work the same way if a bank has a lien against your car?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM

I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'll call Honda and say I need an out of state title transfer and see what they say. It can't hurt! Thanks for the tip! And Honda thanks you, too, because I'll be a little less frustrated since I'm going in with some direction.

I tell you, 75% of everything on this move has required at least one phone call to get the paperwork corrected. I'm losing my mind. And in a few months, we'll move again to the new house and I'll have a whole new batch of "issues" to fix. And then, blessedly, it will cease and we will return to normal life. It's been a long time since we've had that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Megassel!
Your thread yesterday regarding the lease and your entry into SC prompted me to immediately inquire about my lease as well. My wife and I are relocating in September from NJ to SC, so your comments hit home. I immediately called Wells-Fargo which is where our financing for our new Toyota is based. I explained to them your problem and Wells-Fargo indicated that as soon as we move to contact them and request a "out of state title transfer " They would immediately provide me with all the necessary forms that you spoke about and they assured me that I would have no problems. You are correct though in that anyone in your situation and the same as mine must get the required paperwork to take to the DMV. I was hoping that because our lease was through Wesll-Fargo and not Toyota that I would avoid the problem but I was told that I would also need to acquire the necessary paperwork in order to satisfy the DMV.

I guess the DMV's are only doing their jobs, but here in NJ you always seems to get the run around or get to the front of the line only to be sent home looking for this form, proof etc. They are all the same.

Good Luck with your processing.

Allentown

Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Not sure if this is the same with a lease, bit for Liens:

Your out-of-state vehicle title and registration
If there is a lien on your vehicle, you must bring the name and address of the company that holds the lien.

SC Department of Motor Vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina