Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM

540 posts, read 1,673,904 times

Advertisements

Winter here is very nice. The first year we were here, we needed our winter coats and gloves. Rarely needed them since. Well, 2 years ago I did. But then again, I have asthma and I can't get my chest cold in fear of bringing on an attack. It's funny because my friend and I were just having this conversation yesterday!!

If you have any kind of injury, etc., you'll see a huge difference down here. All those aches and pains you suffer up north due to the bitter cold, definitely will melt away here. However, don't fool yourself into thinking we never get cold. We do, just not AS cold. But then again, SC does have a mountain range that you can ski on, so obviously part of SC must get cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 AM

93 posts, read 165,270 times
We don't have winters, we just have "Late Falls"

Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM

704 posts, read 2,061,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
I live here in Indiana and I hate the freezing winters. We get quite a bit of snow and the high temperatures in winter (from Nov-Feb) can average at around 25-32 degrees.

I was wondering, what are the winters like in the southern areas of South Carolina?
I'm south of Charlotte. We had a snow this past winter on a Saturday. By Monday it had pretty much melted. I was shocked to get a call from my doctor cancelling my appointment due to weather.

You'll find that many drivers are fearful of driving in snow and even rain.
If the forecast is for snow, gas lines increase, as if the world may come to an end.
S.C. residents don't get enough snow to know how to deal with it.

As someone said, maybe 2 decent snowfalls a year. Some can be several inches.

I live in a mobile home and I don't need much heat until around mid November. I like to be warm, so I am usually late giving up the heat. Maybe early April.

This past winter we had some consecutive days, maybe two of them and the lows were under 20 and under 15. That was unusual, as we get such temperatures, but rarely for 4-5-6-7 days in a row.

If you are from Indiana you won't even notice our snowfalls. There will so few that you'll actually hope for 1 or 2.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,533,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Winter in South Carolina? What's that?

Seriously you will find that a lot of your winter coats are obsolete. Sweaters and turtle necks will get the job done. Until it snowed this past winter I didn't even know where my gloves were stored.
HA HA.....:-) it snowed 5 times this year in my part of SC, we most assuredly had winter, with several days close to 10 degrees.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes, we definitely get "winter". It's just no where as bad as up north, and not as nice as Florida! (at least that's what my friends down there claim!) I was down there one December and was wearing shorts and tshirts, just 3 years ago. Can't really do that here!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,396,533 times
If you are in Charleston it can be windy cold and raw in winter. Like with the heat index which in the summer can easily make it feel 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature ...(like today it was in the high 90's but the heat index was 122)....in the winter it can feel colder...but the cold isn't bad compared to the heat nor does it last as long as the heat. The heat can not be overestimated. It is BAD..barely tolerable. Your cooling bills in summer if you keep the temps where you'd want to could easily exceed what you pay for heat if you live up north. Having moved from New England, this is one thing I never really took into consideration before moving here.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM

My cooling bills are NO WHERE as high as they were up in NY for heating or cooling. We keep the a/c at 70 and our heat at 68 to 70 in the winter. Granted, it really makes a difference in what kind of house you have, and the insulation. If you live in a trailer or double wide, your cooling bills will be outrageous. I really thought it would cost more for central air running all the time, but I find it quite cheap compared to heating my older house in NY.

I agree tho, the heat is barely tolerable unless you're smack dab on the ocean front with the breeze to make a difference.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,434,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you are in Charleston it can be windy cold and raw in winter. Like with the heat index which in the summer can easily make it feel 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature ...(like today it was in the high 90's but the heat index was 122)....in the winter it can feel colder...but the cold isn't bad compared to the heat nor does it last as long as the heat. The heat can not be overestimated. It is BAD..barely tolerable. Your cooling bills in summer if you keep the temps where you'd want to could easily exceed what you pay for heat if you live up north. Having moved from New England, this is one thing I never really took into consideration before moving here.
I don't know how you cool your home but my cooling bills do not come close to my highest heating bill. I have a heat pump and I know that helps keep the cost down but I've also had a regular central AC unit and never ever paid more to cool than I did to heat. Now if you don't have central AC and rely on window units, you are throwing money out that window.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,515,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
My cooling bills are NO WHERE as high as they were up in NY for heating or cooling. We keep the a/c at 70 and our heat at 68 to 70 in the winter. Granted, it really makes a difference in what kind of house you have, and the insulation. If you live in a trailer or double wide, your cooling bills will be outrageous. I really thought it would cost more for central air running all the time, but I find it quite cheap compared to heating my older house in NY.

I agree tho, the heat is barely tolerable unless you're smack dab on the ocean front with the breeze to make a difference.
You got that right! I built a house in Aiken over the winter. I'm from Upstate NY and summer cooling bills in the $300 range were normal. No central air....only window units. The cost of electricity and gas is MUCH higher up there. It's been in the really high 90's and the 100's and my bill has been around $200. I have a heat pump and my house is brand new so that helps. I'm just shocked at how much less we're spending in utilities. It's nice! A few dollars left over for a dinner out or something.

And believe it or not, the cooling bills were cheaper than the heating bills in NY! And I had gas hot water baseboard heat. One of the best kinda of heat up there. There were months it was close to $400 and winter is loooooong up there! Heat goes on in September and stays on until May!

Aiken had some snow this past winter....It was all gone by noon the next day.

When I was here in January and February, the weather guy said the average temps for the CSRA (the Augusta, GA - Aiken, SC area) was 60 for the most part. There were many days it was 70 out! I've never had a birthday without snow before. Yeah it rained, but it wasn't 10 degrees below zero out with a wind chill like you wouldn't believe and snow wasn't up to my ear end.....LOL

Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM

I agree, the cost per kwh is far cheaper here, so heating and a/c isn't as painful. In fact, I think we pay 1/3 of what we paid up north. Especially if you factor in the heating oil costs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina