U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2010, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,469 times

Advertisements

hi my girlfreind and i were looking to move down to SC in the next couple of years from cold weather. where would the best places to live in SC be for a young couple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,519,196 times
Unless there's a serious economic turnaround between now and the time you move, the best place will be wherever you are able to find a job (before you move!). And no sarcasm is intended. SC's unemployment rate is hovering around 11%, and that number is lower than recent months due primarily to (1) people who have given up looking for a job and are no longer counted, and (2) a temporary summer bump in employment related to extremely low seasonal pay in tourism jobs.

Just one opinion, but I would start looking in the Greenville SC area. That economy appears more robust than most of the state, it's a vibrant community, more youthful than much of the state, and the demographics are sufficiently diverse that a couple more northern accents will not be a hindrance.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 AM

608 posts, read 699,980 times
to be honest with you wherever you can get a good job

Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM

748 posts, read 1,187,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Just one opinion, but I would start looking in the Greenville SC area. That economy appears more robust than most of the state, it's a vibrant community, more youthful than much of the state, and the demographics are sufficiently diverse that a couple more northern accents will not be a hindrance.
That's good advice! Greenville is an awesome location for young couples. Lots going on for that demographic.

Basically I'd focus your relocation search on the three large metros in the state: Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston. Those are where you'll find the most young professionals/young families, the most going on, and the most transplants as well.

You could probably also keep Myrtle Beach on your radar, if you like that kind of environment, as well as the Fort Mill area which is a suburb of Charlotte, NC.

But I also like the suggestion that you look for jobs as part of your relocation search before moving anywhere.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Status: "OK, winter can end any day now! ;)" (set 2 days ago)

3,205 posts, read 4,121,048 times
we moved here from WI 1.5 yrs ago, besides the obvious job status for you both at the time of a move ( we were able to bring ours with us ); i'd add to look into areas that can get you a nice mix of things you already like to do as well as things you'd like to try. We picked the Cola area as it was somewhat similar to Madison, and more importantly had a nice lake nearby. And as we've discovered, we're say 2-2.5 hrs from the beach ( Charleston makes a great day trip ), same distance to Ashville and getting into the mountains, and Greenville is only 1.5 hrs away ( actually about 2 hrs to Charlotte if needed ). So for us it's like being centrally located and we can find plenty to see and do either minutes or hours away.
The weather is a huge plus; we dont regret our move one bit.

good luck with your search

Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,469 times
thanks for the help, we would definitely look for a job before we move, we would probably have to move to or around greenville, columbia, or charleston. I work in construction and she would have to work at a news station so populated booming areas are a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina