Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am planning a little weekend getaway to the Mrytle Beach area. I'm coming from Charlotte. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to stay if we were to spend the night? It doesn't have to be at the beach but does anyone know anywhere that's nice and not over priced in the vicinity?

Also the best route from Charlotte and any tips you can think of to make our trip more enjoyable. I've never been there and no nothing about the area. I just want to go to the closest beach. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rep points for all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Sheena, this time of year is pretty booked in Myrtle Beach. We have found that many places will only rent for the week. These rentals have been booked for months in advance.
But, I will tell you about a lovely place I stumbled upon a year ago. It is in Sunset Beach, NC. A family run Inn, within walking distance to the beach, nice rooms, very quiet beach (if that's what you want) and about 30 minutes to Myrtle Beach.
The place is called Sunset Inn, I think we paid around 90 dollars a night/mid season, the owner serves coffee and a light breakfast.
For a long weekend, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Look up The Sunset Inn
9 North Shore Dr.
Sunset Beach, NC
My spring notes say their number is 1-888-575-1005. Hope it still works!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Well thanks guys, sorry I didn't have a chance to read the thread till I got back. I just got home today. Ok what the heck is the deal out there in Myrtle Beach? Why are the houses so cheap? The beaches are beautiful and why is it I can buy a house within miles to a beach for under 200,000. Any thoughts?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
Why are the houses so cheap?
I guess that is all relative... I've seen people here complain that the area is so expensive.

One reason why prices have stabilized in the area is that homeowners insurance has become so expensive and prohibitive to many on a fixed income.

Another reason is that the market is flooded with new listings. Many people who would be interested in moving here are stuck because they are unable to sell their homes up north etc. The new construction builders are posting some great incentives to buy, you may want to check that out.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I guess that is all relative... I've seen people here complain that the area is so expensive.

One reason why prices have stabilized in the area is that homeowners insurance has become so expensive and prohibitive to many on a fixed income.

Another reason is that the market is flooded with new listings. Many people who would be interested in moving here are stuck because they are unable to sell their homes up north etc. The new construction builders are posting some great incentives to buy, you may want to check that out.
I was talking to someone that lives in Carolina Forest and he said his homeowners insurance was 600.00 a year.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, my insurance company just bumped us $500 (from $3500 to $4000) for homeowners with the wind/hail policy. I just went shopping around and since they expanded the state wind/hail pool to the ICW most of the companies will not write the wind/hail portion. State Farm just began writing again for homeowners on the South Strand but without the wind & hail. I went with them since it'll remain at the $3500 a year.

It's quite frustrating, especially since the expansion was supposed to lower rates & bring in more competition among insurance carriers.

Before you buy, price out the insurance... just because one person has an existing inexpensive policy doesn't mean that yours will be too. They may have had the policy for a while & the new quotes will be different.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Well, my insurance company just bumped us $500 (from $3500 to $4000) for homeowners with the wind/hail policy. I just went shopping around and since they expanded the state wind/hail pool to the ICW most of the companies will not write the wind/hail portion. State Farm just began writing again for homeowners on the South Strand but without the wind & hail. I went with them since it'll remain at the $3500 a year.

It's quite frustrating, especially since the expansion was supposed to lower rates & bring in more competition among insurance carriers.

Before you buy, price out the insurance... just because one person has an existing inexpensive policy doesn't mean that yours will be too. They may have had the policy for a while & the new quotes will be different.

Yeah for sure we'll price it out for sure. 4000 a year sounds good too.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Well thanks guys, sorry I didn't have a chance to read the thread till I got back. I just got home today. Ok what the heck is the deal out there in Myrtle Beach? Why are the houses so cheap? The beaches are beautiful and why is it I can buy a house within miles to a beach for under 200,000. Any thoughts?
Jobs, congestion, and tourists.

I was in MB this weekend, and there are plenty of crazy rednecks running around there. For a lot of people, there's the perception that raising children in Myrtle Beach would be like raising them on the Las Vegas strip, or Hollywood. Maybe it's not that bad, but I still would be hesitant. I think some of the newer housing developments are isolated from the tourist parts, though.

Other than that, the job market is a deterrent for many people. Many people are limited to work in construction or tourism.

Last edited by anonymous; 06-26-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Jobs, congestion, and tourists.

I was in MB this weekend, and there are plenty of crazy rednecks running around there. For a lot of people, there's the perception that raising children in Myrtle Beach would be like raising them on the Las Vegas strip, or Hollywood. Maybe it's not that bad, but I still would be hesitant. I think some of the newer housing developments are isolated from the tourist parts, though.

Other than that, the job market is a deterrent for many people. Many people are limited to work in construction or tourism.
I actually lived in Vegas for 1 year and the touristy part of Mrytle Beach did remind my husband and I of Vegas. We only lasted a year there I hated it but we lived in a bad area. I don't have small children anymore but I'm not looking to live in the middle of the action. I actually didn't think the traffic or congestion was bad at all compared to where I come from in the Phoenix area. My job situation will be a concern, but my husband may be able to transfer with his company. He works for a builder that currently has 7 subdivisions and more in the works.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Once you get out of central Myrtle Beach you start to lose the touristy flavor. North Myrtle & Little River are nice and if you go south into Garden City and below of there it is more community and less transient. All of these areas are less than 30 minutes to Myrtle Beach. West you have Carolina Forest and some other nice areas into Conway. The population is over 100,000 people for the entire Grand Strand and surrounding area and not all work in the tourist/construction industries. So there is hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina