Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 115,488 times

Advertisements

retiring soon from calif. cant wait. but trying to find the right area. low humidity around 40% or less most of the year. can handle warm to hot, the cold and snow but cant deal with hot and stickey.help i hope you s. carolinas can help if a place does exist sure love the looks of your state:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpiner
retiring soon from calif. cant wait. but trying to find the right area. low humidity around 40% or less most of the year. can handle warm to hot, the cold and snow but cant deal with hot and stickey.help i hope you s. carolinas can help if a place does exist sure love the looks of your state:
As a fellow Californian looking to SC for a possible new home state, greetings One thing to remember it's the south. Most of the south, esp. the deep south, has humidity it's just the way it is.

Some SC natives could help direct you to areas that might not be so bad, but I doubt you will get 40% and certently not in the summer.

Mark

Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
mgpiner, South Carolina is very humid - pretty much year round. Charleston's annual average humidity is 86%, Greenville's is 71%. The mountains in the far northwestern edge of the state might be bearable for you.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I live in Aiken, SC. The humidity here has been around 50% the last few weeks. It was in the 40% range before that. The people keep telling me that it is humid, but having just moved from Florida I don't find it to be so. I have not turned on the A/C in my car yet this summer.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 AM

50 posts, read 227,496 times
Evey, right now the humidity in Aiken in 70%. That part of South Carolina is very humid. Maybe it feels nice to you compared with Florida, but it's nevertheless humid.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpiner

I came from Southern CA and live in the Piedmonts (Tega Cay, SC)...low humidity...Nope...definitely not during the summer months.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM

I must need new equipment. TV weather people, too.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
I must need new equipment. TV weather people, too.
Naw...your fine...I don't mind the humidity either....but it is definetly a change from CA. My M.I.L. came to visit us one year (of course she picked July to come out for the first time) and she is from Portland, OR (she was a wreck the whole time she was here). We finally got her to come back during the falls months (which she loved) but I know we will never ever see here again during the summer.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:52 AM

I just watched the noon news. Humidity was 52%. I love the weather here. Spring was breathtaking, and I can't wait for the leaves to change.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:40 AM

56 posts, read 555,838 times
I am from California and I am planning to a move to South Carolina. We have focused on Aiken because of the moderate weather patterns.They have four season,, long spring and fall and short summer and winter. I live on the Central Coast, and I have placed our weather info and Aikens weather info our home page so I see how the weather compares each day. You may want to do go to some of the weather sites and look at the historical weather patterns for the South Carolina. I have found that the humidity is lower than where we live but the summer temps are higher. Probably depends on what you can tolerate. But you are not going to find any place in the South that doesn't get warm and humid in the summer. How much can you tolerate??? What will you be doing? are you retired? or will you be working outside? all factors to consider. I am retired so I am not concerned about a couple of month of warm and humid weather.
Make sure you look at Aiken if you are coming from California,, I have found that it is going to be less of a cultural shock because of the demographics of this particular little town.. population 25k to 30k in the city. Look at the web site of Woodside Plantation or Mount Vintage Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina