Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Nossir. You've got that backwards. I'm a southerner. When I joined this forum, I lived in Chicago, but I don't even do that anymore. I'm back in SC.

But if you ask lots of Southerners, Chicagoans are Yankees, too.
LOL....I was kind of joking and meant when you lived up there.

Illinois is a Yankee state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 PM

115 posts, read 325,733 times
I would not worry--My wife and I moved from suburban Phila., and hear plenty of Yankee accents in the area. People are super-friendly, the pace slower. We made a great decision to move here, and have no regrets.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,159 times
In regard to collecting unemployment, it is my understanding that when you move to a another state you CAN'T collect unemployment because you haven't worked in that state yet. Get you facts straight! There are a lot of other people getting free assistance from our government that have never paid one penny to any state..... That should be the direction that people should be concerned about.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
You will find the coast of SC (called The Low Country) to be the more liberal/diverse part of SC with many residents being transplanted/retired from somewhere else. Parris Island Marine Base and a Marine Naval Air Base are located in Beaufort and they draw people from all over the US. The Beaufort area is loaded with "damn yankees". You will hear "you all" but when two words (not one word like yawl), it is a yankee speaking....LOL

You do not like cold and like to be outside so you will love the area, especially Oct to June when the humidity slow. Even the summer heat is not bad along the coast.

Kick back and enjoy SC.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoing View Post
In regard to collecting unemployment, it is my understanding that when you move to a another state you CAN'T collect unemployment because you haven't worked in that state yet. Get you facts straight!
Not true,you can indeed get unemployment if you relocate.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Uh, yeah, it is OFTEN used in judgement.

I lived there 2 1/2 years and have spent about 14 out of the last 18 summers there...so I feel qualified to comment on the culture. As previously stated, EVERY other place (MD, MS, FL, UT, ect) I've lived I have been treated kindly. Not in SC (well, yes, there were people there who were kind...but they were over-shadowed by the rest of my experiences there).

Typical comments I hear/heard:

"Ya'll from NY? Ya ever been shot?"
"Ya'll from NY? Good thing you got out" (I'm not kidding, heard this 100x)
(to my brother) "Yer ***** girlfriend's not comming is she?"
"Yer not going to move here are ya?"
"Don't be looking at our n*****s like that"

Oh, BTW, when I was working there, I'd be the one to soothe "problem" customers because I could always make them leave happy.

I kid you not...when I lived there, not a day would pass without someone saying something demeaning to me for being a "Yankee" or without overhearing racist comments (that they weren't ashamed to make in front of just any boday).

I should add: Beautiful place. Really beautiful. Great seafood, fun beach culture.

I think your comments about SC is BS.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not true,you can indeed get unemployment if you relocate.
But when someone is relocated they would be working in SC. If they get laid off, then they can collect..... That would be my understanding.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM

728 posts, read 303,148 times
Why is the crime rate so much higher in Beaufort compared to New York or Chicago?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 AM

115 posts, read 325,733 times
The crime rate is very high...drugs and many poor people. Employers like to pay people $8 an hour with no benefits. Combine all this you have major problems. We escaped from Beaufort last year and finally feel safe. With all the burglaries, robberies, and shootings it feels like the 'hood in a big city. We would watch drug deals going down at Waterfront Park. Rarely saw police on Bay Street, except on Saturday when the religious guy would scream for an hour or two. Do not make the same mistake we did...this town has major crime issues...

Old 08-24-2015, 01:02 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma818 View Post
The crime rate is very high...drugs and many poor people. Employers like to pay people $8 an hour with no benefits. Combine all this you have major problems. We escaped from Beaufort last year and finally feel safe. With all the burglaries, robberies, and shootings it feels like the 'hood in a big city. We would watch drug deals going down at Waterfront Park. Rarely saw police on Bay Street, except on Saturday when the religious guy would scream for an hour or two. Do not make the same mistake we did...this town has major crime issues...
this is troubling. I love Beaufort. I have considered relocating there from across the river, as I thought since it is smaller it is safer. I suppose not. However, I've only visited half a dozen times and at this point it's only a thought or even fantasy for sometime in the future. I will follow up on this next visit.

I wish they could drag all the violent criminals to the Marines base and have them clean toilets for 12 hrs a day 52 weeks a year for a few years then have them to serve for 8 years if fit to, or keep on cleaning duty. That would probably fix it. It'd keep them out of the gene pool. The liberals would never go for that, though. Too mean to the poor criminals. Well, that and I don't understand why we don't execute murderers. Never understood that. Thou shalt not murder, not thou shalt not kill. Imagine all the repeat murderers that would have been prevented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina