Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,663,202 times

Advertisements

I assume all of you people know that the state of SC has one of the highest Black populations in the country?

So what is your contention - that Blacks are stupid and choose to live among White racists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,492,977 times
The Confederate Flag should have been moved to a museum long ago. The State Legislature is a pile of you know what with no backbone.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,459,424 times
Nope it should not be taken down......it is a part of the history, culture and pride in the South(and others areas of this country fly it as well).
And unless someone wants to take off the farrakhan bow tie or take off the malcolm x t-shirt or
remove the fubu clothing don't talk about the confederate flag.

Last edited by sundrop; 08-12-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I assume all of you people know that the state of SC has one of the highest Black populations in the country?

So what is your contention - that Blacks are stupid and choose to live among White racists?
I'm not sure how you are drawing that conclusion. Did someone post that? Or, is that the inference you draw? One does not connote, nor is a logical extension of, the other.

My contention is simply what I stated in my post. That is, the presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism.

Last edited by davey123; 08-12-2010 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,663,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I'm not sure how you are drawing that conclusion.
It was a simple question requiring only a yes or no.

Quote:
My contention is simply what I stated in my post.
Racism and slavery existed for a long time under our US flag. If that battle flag is a symbol for either, so is the US flag.

Quote:
That is, the presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism
You feel very strongly about it...so what steps have you taken to convince the state legislature to remove it from the memorial?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,515,809 times
Yes, it should be removed. There are enough confederate flags in Truck windows that we won't be allowed to forget what it looks like.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,192,051 times
Quote:
It was a simple question requiring only a yes or no.
In some ways this quote begins to address your point #3. Isn't this always the problem? That is, we fall into the trap of thinking the question is simple, thus the answer must be also. Social injustice is built (and gets reinscribed) on such a level of simplicity.

On the surface, your question is simple. However, you have to realize that seeing the "package" is only the first step. It is only when you critically examine the "contents" of that package that you begin to realize how "layered" this issue is.

If you read all the posts before your post, it seems too simplistic and too much of a logical leap to infer that "Blacks are stupid," or to think that people are going to respond to your question in a simple yes/no fashion. Sorry if this is a reality check, but there was nothing simple about your question.

Clearly, the presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism.

Quote:
Racism and slavery existed for a long time under our US flag. If that battle flag is a symbol for either, so is the US flag.
I initially posted to respond to Geechie North's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
For those who don't know, the Reb Rag was only placed on the State House in the 1960's, as a show of solidarity against black kids being placed in classes alongside white kids.
The point you raise about the US flag is an important one. It is, however, a separate discussion. I state this because it is always too easy to lose focus of this issue. That happens because other issues are brought up to obfuscate the original point. In my earlier post I used the terms denial and rationalization. This type of obfuscation is one of the key props for denial and rationalization.

As mentioned earlier, the confederate flag symbolizes many things to many people. Undeniably, it has historically been used as a symbol of racism and hate. Geechie North's post points out that its presence on the State House's grounds symbolizes racism. It is that point that I did not want to get lost.

Clearly, the presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism.

Quote:
You feel very strongly about it...so what steps have you taken to convince the state legislature to remove it from the memorial?
As you probably know, critical awareness and acknowledgment that an injustice exist is always an important first step. It requires seeing beyond the "package." It requires seeing through the obfuscations. Most importantly, it requires acknowledging that the presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism.

Yes, it should be removed!

Last edited by davey123; 08-13-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,566,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Yes, it should be removed. There are enough confederate flags in Truck windows that we won't be allowed to forget what it looks like.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,942,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Nope it should not be taken down......it is a part of the history, culture and pride in the South(and others areas of this country fly it as well).
And unless someone wants to take off the farrakhan bow tie or take off the malcolm x t-shirt or
remove the fubu clothing don't talk about the confederate flag.
So ho are things back in 1993. 2010 is ok, still no flying cars though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara

Considering that the Legislature was all white in 1962, it stands to reason that blacks in South Carolina didn't have much of a say in the matter.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,803,961 times
Well, this thread has made it thru almost 2 pages, and nobody has yet tossed out the "my heritage" BS, so at least we may be making some progress.

Of course it needs to come off of state grounds. It is without question the most divisive and inflammatory American symbol that exists today, and SC should be ashamed to continue associating it with our state government. The flag is a part of our history, and we have many state museums that can do an excellent job of telling our story, including the role the Confederate flag has played in it. An attempt to do that on the grounds of the state capitol will always be too politically charged and racially charged, to be effective.

FWIW, I was born and raised in SC and have lived most of my life between the two Carolinas. I love my home state, but I am not blind to our faults. We have many, and our failure to effectively deal with this issue sits near the top of the list.

Quote:
I'm sure that's supposed to mean something, but I guess I'm not smart enough to figure it out. The last numbers I saw was about 30% of SC's population is African-American. What exactly does that have to do with the issue of the Confederate flag on state grounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina