U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,591,782 times
Also, if you look at the record of the SC Legislature on active discrimination as revealed in testimony concerning the renewal of the Voting Rights Act, you'll see that the ideas behind slavery are anything but 'history' in the Palmetto State.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,789,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I'm against the idea of removing the flag simply because the NAACP decided it should be done. I'm in favor of removing the flag because I don't understand the purpose that it serves in the first place. We have a monument that marks that part of our history as a state. Why add a very sensitive symbol to that memorial?

i agree with this.

i'd add that the NAACP made a mistake by boycotting.

whether anyone likes it or not, it is simply a fact that right-wing white southerners are the dominant political force in south carolina, and the only way to get anything accomplished at the state level is by persuading them.

Instead the NAACP tried to "go national", and sent the message, "we are more powerful than you," and the response from the right wing was, "no, you are not." Dialogue could have been kept open, and the issue could have been about right and wrong, or at least a dialogue about what level of race sensitivity is appropriate for the state gov't to display. Instead the issue became a struggle over who had more control, and the possibility of further compromise went out the window.

Last edited by le roi; 08-16-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,789,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Also, if you look at the record of the SC Legislature on active discrimination as revealed in testimony concerning the renewal of the Voting Rights Act, you'll see that the ideas behind slavery are anything but 'history' in the Palmetto State.

you'll have to be more specific, as i don't have the testimony handy.

i do know that the national Voting Rights Act is a relic of the past, and discriminatory against the deep south states.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 AM

47 posts, read 68,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
I know theres a lot of people that is opposing this but I think its just about time they do it because this problem is causing South Carolina to benefit from an economical gain. As most people already know that the NCAA has a ban on South Carolina on post play as seen most recently when the ACC Baseball Championship tournament was taken away from Myrtle Beach and sent to Greensboro/Raleigh for the next 3 years. Possibly missing out on a millions of dollars of extra revenue makes me think in the pass decade just how much revenue South Carolina missed out as a state and North Carolina gained. Even though I still believe thats its unfair by the NCAA and NAACP for this ban to be placed on us because of something so small that the entire state should suffer, What are your opinions on the matter?

No. Heritage is important. This isn't some other ****ty state like NY where PC rules. Move back if you don't like Southern Heritage.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 7 days ago)

21,915 posts, read 38,841,671 times
The confederate flag is a treasured symbol that was made to represent the Civil War why should we dish our ancestors my Great Great Grandfather was a General in this war.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you'll have to be more specific, as i don't have the testimony handy.

i do know that the national Voting Rights Act is a relic of the past, and discriminatory against the deep south states.
South Carolina's legislature passed over 500 acts that had the effect of disenfranchising blacks between 1994-2002.

Which, along with other states in the South up to similiar business, is why the act was renewed.

That's from the committee chaired by Sensenbrenner (R-Wi) and Watts (D-NC).

And that's the true discrimination.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The confederate flag is a treasured symbol that was made to represent the Civil War why should we dish our ancestors my Great Great Grandfather was a General in this war.
I had 25 ancestors in the Reb Army and Navy.

It's not something to be proud of.

Like Germans, we should try to make up for the misguided (at best, hateful at worst) actions of our forefathers.

Otherwiswe we have not learned a damn thing.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,221,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is true. HOWEVER, you can't disregard the rest of history, my friend. It was also made to represent acts of hate and violence based on race. If the KKK and other hate groups had not rallied behind the symbol, I don't think we'd have the same issues that we see today...

Old 08-16-2010, 03:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,749,249 times
Can open. Worms everywhere.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Status: "Ní bhíonn an rath ach mar a mbíonn an smacht." (set 16 days ago)

9,725 posts, read 7,224,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
South Carolina's legislature passed over 500 acts that had the effect of disenfranchising blacks between 1994-2002.

Which, along with other states in the South up to similiar business, is why the act was renewed.

That's from the committee chaired by Sensenbrenner (R-Wi) and Watts (D-NC).

And that's the true discrimination.
Can you be more specific? I'm not sure the SC legislature could pass that many acts on anything in that amount to time, much less 500 acts for the purpose of disenfranchising blacks without drawing more attention than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina