Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times

Advertisements

To answer your question, one has to become familiar with the Akre's case (v Fox News) where a Fla District Court gave the media the right to lie for financial reasons.

And since SC- the South in general- is the corporations' poster child for the 'New America', they sure are not gona expose that this 2.0 version is an exact copy of the 1890's one.

I can post both this case and the testimony I referenced earlier, if you'd like.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-17-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
South Carolina's legislature passed over 500 acts that had the effect of disenfranchising blacks between 1994-2002.

Which, along with other states in the South up to similiar business, is why the act was renewed.

That's from the committee chaired by Sensenbrenner (R-Wi) and Watts (D-NC).

And that's the true discrimination.
you'll have to be more specific than that. i'm skeptical that something so egregious would've made it through legislation without anybody, including the media, blinking an eye.

it is Watt, not Watts, and that guy does not exactly have credibility when it comes to race issues.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you'll have to be more specific than that. i'm skeptical that something so egregious would've made it through legislation without anybody, including the media, blinking an eye.

it is Watt, not Watts, and that guy does not exactly have credibility when it comes to race issues.
'Co-Chair'. Do you know Jim Sensenbrenner?

Is that because Watt's black- is that why he is unreliable on 'Race issues'?

If not please give specific examples to prove that allegation.

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

Here's the Akre's case, the one that gives the media the right to lie for financial reasons.

I'll post the testimony from the Voiting Rights renewal if you ask.

I do not want to do it unilaterally lest the topic wander too far into the political spectrum.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
'Co-Chair'. Do you know Jim Sensenbrenner?
i don't, but in any case, i'm really looking for details on the elusive "500 pieces of legislation."

i'm unclear how your claim that SC has been disenfranchising black voters since 1994, is supported by a PDF about a federal lawsuit agains a Florida TV station.

Quote:
Is that because Watt's black- is that why he is unreliable on 'Race issues'?

If not please give specific examples to prove that allegation.
well, a specific incident: Press Action ::: Nader Asks for Apology for ‘Obscene Racist Epithet’

but no, not "being black", but being a black politician with a clear race-based interest. having a record as a clyburn-style congressional black caucus member who uses race issues as a political tool. in other news i don't trust what an iowa congressman says about corn, or what a new york congressman says about wall street.

Last edited by le roi; 08-17-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
I had 25 ancestors in the Reb Army and Navy.

It's not something to be proud of.

Like Germans, we should try to make up for the misguided (at best, hateful at worst) actions of our forefathers.

Otherwiswe we have not learned a damn thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
This is true. HOWEVER, you can't disregard the rest of history, my friend. It was also made to represent acts of hate and violence based on race. If the KKK and other hate groups had not rallied behind the symbol, I don't think we'd have the same issues that we see today...
You guys have a right to your opinion but please see that some of us see
the flag as sacred remembrance of the soldiers who gave their lives
for our freedoms.

Im a southerner with manners so next bit is off topic in politeness to the OP
I am using the show/hide
Spoiler
We didnt win the war nor did we win Vietnam but we honor
those soldiers. We are about to have 150th Anniversary May 2011.
I highly suggest you guys see what this flag truly represent visit the
Civil War Museum at Fort Fisher NC
Im only speaking from my heart as I know my Grandfather had nothing
to do with the politics just like the guys who are fighting our current wars
but read this thread I did for 149 Anniversary and read READ the struggles these brave men went through http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...day-149-a.html

Common misconception is we are still fighting Civil WAr this is incorrect. WE are honoring.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Excuse Me For Being Late To The Party, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
No. Heritage is important. This isn't some other ****ty state like NY where PC rules. Move back if you don't like Southern Heritage.
'PC', as you so angrily put it, has little or nothing to do with anything...that poster started the thread by asking a legitimate question, and folks on BOTH sides of the issue are here weighing in with their opinions, whether they agree or disagree...that's how chat forums, and discussions of issues, operate...

You are correct---heritage IS important...and pride in heritage is an important part of life...but where you lost me was when you said to the poster 'this isn't some other expletive state like NY where PC rules...move back if you don't like Southern Heritage'

Last time I looked, you and I and everybody else on this forum, no matter what their stand on the issue, are citizens of the United States---and here in America, freedom of speech (or in this case posting) is one of the rights we all hold dear...in short, I'm sorry, but that person DOES have a right to ask questions and express themselves, without somebody swelling up and barking 'move back if you don't like it'...

To stay on topic, here's MY take on the issue...the Civil War was officially over in April of 1865, and yet here we are, some 145 years later, essentially still fighting said war over the issue of the placement of a flag on SC Statehouse grounds...as a black man, I was raised to believe the Confederate flag was a symbol of a dark time for my people...well, I'm a little older and wiser now, wise enough to know that to some folks, the flag is a symbol of pride and heritage, and truth be told, I myself don't have a problem with it...

I'd like to think that we as a country have more pressing issues than flag placement and rehashing old tired arguments over slavery, racism, and what caused the Civil War...let us put the ghosts of past fears and hatred to rest, and move forward...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't, but in any case, i'm really looking for details on the elusive "500 pieces of legislation."

i'm unclear how your claim that SC has been disenfranchising black voters since 1994, is supported by a PDF about a federal lawsuit agains a Florida TV station.

well, a specific incident: Press Action ::: Nader Asks for Apology for ‘Obscene Racist Epithet’

but no, not "being black", but being a black politician with a clear race-based interest. having a record as a clyburn-style congressional black caucus member who uses race issues as a political tool. in other news i don't trust what an iowa congressman says about corn, or what a new york congressman says about wall street.
"Congressional Black Caucus Meeting of June 22, 2004
Congressman Watt: You’re just another arrogant white man—telling us what we can do*—it’s all about your ego—another f***ing arrogant white man."

That's it, Your 'proof'??

Hey. I'm a Nader supported- voted for Ralph the last two go-rounds for president, but what was said to him at the Congressional Black Caucus is NOTHING compared to what the entire Democratic Party did to Nader, as far as keeping him off the ballot in a number of states.

And one heated exchange where Nader's called a 'F***ing arrogant white man.' by Watt brands Watt no longer reliable on race.

And you compare racism to 'corn'. I'd say your vision on racial matters is the true problem.

Anyway, the testimony came from a committee Co-Chaired by Sensenbrenner, a white Republican from Wisconsin, and Mel Watt, a black Democrat from N.C. I was going to ask why you singled out Watt v Sensenbrenner as being 'untrustworthy', but I am convinced I now have my answer from your own words.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/congress/h...9hrg/24121.pdf

On page 8 starts the cases specific to South Carolina and present day discrimination, although The Palmetto State is mentioned prominently throughout the testimony.

The cases specific to SC are no longer lumped in one area as they were when this matter was still to be voted upon. However, your 'proof' has given me the resolve to search the entire 7 volumes of related testimony, other than what I have referenced here, so feel free if you want more actual legal cases of wide-spread racism, and not the phony-baloney incident you provided.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-17-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You guys have a right to your opinion but please see that some of us see
the flag as sacred remembrance of the soldiers who gave their lives
for our freedoms.
[/spoiler]
The freedom to whip people to death, to treat them as chattel (know what that means?) to make a few bucks.

You think that is worth honoring?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
...well, I'm a little older and wiser now, wise enough to know that to some folks, the flag is a symbol of pride and heritage, and truth be told, I myself don't have a problem with it...

I'd like to think that we as a country have more pressing issues than flag placement and rehashing old tired arguments over slavery, racism, and what caused the Civil War...let us put the ghosts of past fears and hatred to rest, and move forward...
Captain, I respect your opinion, but down here, "heritage" is a much-abused word, often used to reflect a determination to think and act exactly as one's ancestor's did. Unfortunately, this flag remains a vivid symbol of a very real hatred that continues to breed in SC.

I have no problem with respecting the flag in its proper place. I, too, had ancestors who died fighting for it. Regardless, as long as it remains on Capitol grounds, I cannot imagine SC beginning the real journey of moving forward.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Thanks Much...And I Show You The Same Respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Captain, I respect your opinion, but down here, "heritage" is a much-abused word, often used to reflect a determination to think and act exactly as one's ancestor's did. Unfortunately, this flag remains a vivid symbol of a very real hatred that continues to breed in SC.

I have no problem with respecting the flag in its proper place. I, too, had ancestors who died fighting for it. Regardless, as long as it remains on Capitol grounds, I cannot imagine SC beginning the real journey of moving forward.
But please clear one thing up for me, if you could...having been born and raised in the Midwest (Ohio), I haven't always been privy to a lot of information about Southern life and customs...

So then, what is the main issue with heritage, in your eyes? I've seen a lot of differing opinions on the subject just here in this thread, but I'd like to get your take on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina