Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
One last, if I may:

Perhaps its not being 'ineffectual'. Perhaps it's contentment with the status quo.
Certainly a possibility. By the way, we should remember that SC has a relatively weak governorship, especially where spending is concerned. Which is probably a good thing. Not having a whole lot of actual work to do lets these guys focus on doing what they do best: Embarrassing the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Certainly a possibility. By the way, we should remember that SC has a relatively weak governorship, especially where spending is concerned. Which is probably a good thing. Not having a whole lot of actual work to do lets these guys focus on doing what they do best: Embarrassing the rest of us.
Hey, I got a kick out of Senhor Sanford- Ricky Ricardo with a redneck accent.

I just want to see him and his novia tango, BA style:

That's Buenos Aires, the 'BA'.

Portenos, Portenos.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Hey, I got a kick out of Senhor Sanford- Ricky Ricardo with a redneck accent.

I just want to see him and his novia tango, BA style:

That's Buenos Aires, the 'BA'.

Portenos, Portenos.
I think I can do without images of he and his novia doing anything.

And unlike Ricky, it was he who had some serious 'splainin to do.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
You are forgetting that SC Democrats are very conservative- and that SC politics centers around race.

The Upcountry (now called the 'Upstate' because the former conjures images of tobacco-chewing grannies driving their battered Fords down dirt roads, looking for traffic signs to pepper with their 12 gauge.) has your white, 'Deepwater' Baptist crowd- your Bob Jones U. adherents.

The Lowcountry has most of the black population plus what's left of the Bourbons, who practice a more subtle racism.

So what happens is that once in a decade or so, you get a Democrat, who tries to steer the Palmetto State to a more center-right course, only to have the Christian Coalition goofballs come in and Jesusfy the public discourse.

And, of course, they win.

That assessment was said to me by a former member of the Charleston County GOP establishment who got fed-up and now only votes independent- at both state and national level.
LOL "Jesusfy" that was good. Mind if I steal it from you someday in the near future when I am again called a heathen?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
LOL "Jesusfy" that was good. Mind if I steal it from you someday in the near future when I am again called a heathen?
Sure.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default Thanks

to all for the stimulating discussion. I really learned a lot and appreciate it. I traveled around SC during the Kerry campaign wearing a Kerry button and was amazed at the number of free drinks and "I like your button" reactions I got. There clearly IS a Blue underground but not deployed in the right areas to make a difference. It doesn't look like Clyburn is doing anything significant for Mazie which is disappointing. A Blue South Carolina -maybe someday?.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Eureka1,
It doesn't matter whether the candidate and victor is red or blue.
Politicans are bought and paid for by the corporations that run our country.
Politicans don't work for you or me, they work for corporations.
So, go ahead and vote if it makes you feel better, you are under
the illusion that we are a democracy, LOL, funny, it doesn't matter who you vote for.....
They don't work for you either way.
Wake up and smell the coffee.
Race doesn't matter either, there is only one color in the country
that counts....GREEN.
Period.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
It doesn't matter whether the candidate and victor is red or blue...
Ummmm, nice speech, I think, Butteryfly, but I'm afraid you're gonna need to dumb it down for those of us who still feel compelled to participate in the process you find so humorous. I'd be the first to agree with you that the politicians have failed us on so many different levels, but I didn't see your recommendations for improvement. You seem to have it all figured out. After we enjoy the coffee's aroma, what's the next step?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I'd be the first to agree with you that the politicians have failed us on so many different levels, but I didn't see your recommendations for improvement. You seem to have it all figured out. After we enjoy the coffee's aroma, what's the next step?
Public fianancing for ALL elections.

If you look back in our history, you'll find out that we are precisely where we were back in the 'Gilded' Age.

And for exactly the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina