Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,471 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of just having comprehensive on one of my cars as I do not drive it much, but, I went to the SC DMV website and read this:

"Current South Carolina law requires that at the time a driver's license is issued for the first time and a driver's license is renewed, drivers must certify on the driver's license application (DL 447) that they are insured by an automobile liability policy. If an applicant does not own a vehicle or a vehicle is not in the household of the applicant, the applicant can check off on the application accordingly. The applicant declaring liability insurance certifies personal automobile liability insurance and not liability insurance of an employer"

So basically, I MUST have comprehensive AND liability on each car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM

182 posts, read 331,800 times
I have never heard of just having comprehensive. You just need liability, assuming there are no leins against the car.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I was thinking of just having comprehensive on one of my cars as I do not drive it much, but, I went to the SC DMV website and read this:

"Current South Carolina law requires that at the time a driver's license is issued for the first time and a driver's license is renewed, drivers must certify on the driver's license application (DL 447) that they are insured by an automobile liability policy. If an applicant does not own a vehicle or a vehicle is not in the household of the applicant, the applicant can check off on the application accordingly. The applicant declaring liability insurance certifies personal automobile liability insurance and not liability insurance of an employer"

So basically, I MUST have comprehensive AND liability on each car?
The way I read that is that you must have liability insurance "at least". More is optional and there are crooked agents who insist they can not sell you certain policies. I took a local agent to the Dept. of Insurance years back because I was told he could not sell me the lowest limits when the law said, he HAD TO, if I asked. I asked and he said the lowest he could sell me was 100-50-100, and bingo tape recorder and he was reported to the Dept. of Insurance, paid a fine and still stealing money from people, by only offering them the higher policies that he wants to sell them.

The minimum required by law is "liability"
I carry the next to lowest limits.

Collision and Comprehensive are normally for insuring new cars or late model cars, in case you have an accident that does not involve another car. Or someone backs into you while you are in a store and you come out and they are gone. People like to get C&C to protect their newer, more valuable cars.
I paid $1100 for my 96 Mitsubishi and I carry low limits of liability, under $350 a year, so try All State.

Yes, if you are paying for a car in monthly payments the seller can force you to insure it the way they want it insured.
They have a lien on it and it is not your car, until they release the lien, after you pay it off.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
DaysofThunder,
From what you have posted above, it clearly states that SOuth Carolina requires
liability insurance on your car.
Which means, it covers your liability in an accident.
If you have an accident, the OTHER person is covered. Not you.
You need this in case you severly injure another person and their vehicle
by causing an auto accident.
If you don't have enough of it, the other person in the accident can still
sue you for damages, taking any assests in your name, so if you own something,
make sure you have a nice high amount of insurance under the liability portion
of your policy.
Comprehensive covers your car.
Your vehicle is fully insured and you will get either a check in the mail if you
hold title to the car,(if it's totalled), or the lein holder, which is the finance
company you borrowed money from will be paid off, or both.
Or, they repair your car, after you pay the deductible.
If you owe money on the car, as part of the loan agreement, you must have
COmprehensive insurance in ADDITION to liability to cover your car repairs.
If you have an accident, and still owe on the car, and the car is destroyed,
and you only have liability as required by law, you will have a useless car
and you will still have to pay the car payments until the loan is satisfied.
I have a very old car, which isn't worth much.
I carry only liability on the car, which means if I have an accident
the person I hit is covered in full. My car isn't. I'm out a car.
But in my case, it isn't worth buying comprehensive car insurance
for my car because the car is worth about 1,000.00 anyway.
I paid it off many years ago.
I love my old car.....don't make them like they used to do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina