Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Sheena - that is so great. When are you moving? Will your kids go to Ocean Bay or Carolina Forest - they are both good schools.

I will say when I first moved I kept saying I miss NJ - but when I went back to visit I couldn't wait to get back to SC. I will always love NJ - but it is great here!
We are renting it this weekend and will move in a few weeks. I'm thinking Carolina Forest is where my son will go. He will be a senior.

I lived in Jersey for awhile in North Bergen off of Blvd East but lived in NY for most of my life, spent 19 years in Phoenix, 5 months in Charlotte and now I'm headed to Myrtle. I'm not sure I'm going to miss anywhere when I get there....LOL we love the beach and it's really nice in Myrtle. I love my Palm trees. Palm trees are the only thing I have missed about Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
My whole family is from NY and NJ on both sides and most have moved back down South. LOL! My dad and uncle and stuff miss the North so much but like living down here though. lol. My uncle is like he still hates the way we talk down here, dragging our words and can't stand the word HEEEEEYYY and Ya'll!! but everyone has been following the trend and moving back down south tho

Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcubbin View Post
I'm on Long Island and it's contagious. Up here on the North Shore most think that the South Shore is, if not rednecks, than a lower class of people. People out in the Hamptons think that the whole island exists just so they can drive to the Hamptons, and of course the folks in Manhattan think everything east of the Mid-Town Tunnel is the country and chocked full of rubes.

It's a funny world.

As one Long Islander looking to get out... people here can think what they want... I just want warmer weather, nice people in a relatively small town and good neighbors.
Yeah, but SC has the same type of thing. I've met people from Greenville that think the lower half of the state is just swampland. There are people from Charleston who think that Charleston is the center of the universe. (Hence the saying, "I know you're from Charleston, but only Jesus can walk on water"). People I know from the Pee Dee used to say that the upstate is nothing but cows, Baptist mill workers, and hillbillies. Plenty of people in the state think Myrtle Beach is awful. Plenty of people in Myrtle Beach would never consider moving inland to one of those "Boring places".

And that's not taking into account Clemson vs. South Carolina, southerners vs. yankees, black vs. white - we've got our fair share of stereotypes.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
We sure do have our fair share of stereotyping. Personally, I love being southern. But just like anyone else, I get sick and tired of being called a redneck and other names because I am southern.
It's ridiculous that people cannot look at each other as human beings. That's what we are - humans! It doesn't matter where you move to or what your accent sounds like.
The people in my church have helped me adjust to northerners as I have helped them adjust to southerners. If you don't have an open mind, then how are you going to even know?
Good luck with your move. I think you will love the weather here.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM

19 posts, read 77,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
We sure do have our fair share of stereotyping. Personally, I love being southern. But just like anyone else, I get sick and tired of being called a redneck and other names because I am southern.
It's ridiculous that people cannot look at each other as human beings.
Amen to that!!! I moved to S.W. Ga two years ago from Ma. and still feel like I'm constantly being judged just because I'm a "yankee". We get labeled "rude" and "disrespectful". I have been neither of these to anybody here but still have people look at me like I have the plague sometimes or just come out and ask why we're so rude. I work in retail and have met plenty of people here. I just don't understand what the big deal is where your from but can say it is definately more of an issue in the south. The only time I ever heard the word "redneck" up north was when I was watching Jeff Foxworthy.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,069 times
I wish I could find people from up north to meet here in Carolina Forest, or even in Myrtle Beach.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,069 times
I said that badly.. what I mean is if there was a group of New Yorker's (we're from upstate) that we could go bowling with or even out to dinner. Hubby and I are in our 50's and 60's. Just looking for some people we would have something in common with. I love SC, but at times it's like another world. I can't believe the beauiful weather, the lakes, the ocean. We go out to dinner often and travel a bit. But really can't make friends here. We have lived here almost 2 years, would love to have a friend I could call up and say wanta go to lunch or shopping.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slh1432 View Post
I said that badly.. what I mean is if there was a group of New Yorker's (we're from upstate) that we could go bowling with or even out to dinner. Hubby and I are in our 50's and 60's. Just looking for some people we would have something in common with. I love SC, but at times it's like another world. I can't believe the beauiful weather, the lakes, the ocean. We go out to dinner often and travel a bit. But really can't make friends here. We have lived here almost 2 years, would love to have a friend I could call up and say wanta go to lunch or shopping.
sure you can; be a friendly and courteous person, do volunteer work and join a church - then tell us about it.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahagg View Post
Amen to that!!! I moved to S.W. Ga two years ago from Ma. and still feel like I'm constantly being judged just because I'm a "yankee". We get labeled "rude" and "disrespectful". I have been neither of these to anybody here but still have people look at me like I have the plague sometimes or just come out and ask why we're so rude. I work in retail and have met plenty of people here. I just don't understand what the big deal is where your from but can say it is definately more of an issue in the south. The only time I ever heard the word "redneck" up north was when I was watching Jeff Foxworthy.
You may have moved to an area (SW GA) that is foreign to just about anyone that wasn't born and raised there, even us homeboys.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
You may have moved to an area (SW GA) that is foreign to just about anyone that wasn't born and raised there, even us homeboys.
That is so true! I'm a born and raised there girl from SW GA (Cairo!). Shoot, it was practically big news if someone moved there from Macon, much less an entirely different state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina