Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times

Advertisements

Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:ZONING

" The constitutionality of zoning was not tested until 1926, when the celebrated case VILLAGE OF EUCLID V. AMBLER REALTY CO. was brought before the U.S. Supreme Court. In deciding Euclid, a small village of 10,000 persons immediately east of Cleveland, the Supreme Court held that comprehensive zoning was a constitutional exercise of the police power."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
A city can not tell you what sign you can have on your own yard as long as you are not inciting violence ... l
They can and they did. There can be ordinances against many things, fences, pet cages, etc. Heck, some towns have an ordinance banning the wild and dangerous ferret. They could have a regulation against standing within 5 feet of the road, while standing on one foot and scratching your nose, siting it is a distraction to motorist and therefor a danger.

I agree with Geechie and CarolinaBredChicagoan it has nothing to do with religion. That story did exactly what it set out to do ... typical of Fox News.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
And that is against the law, it is a freedom of speech issue. This is his private property. What is wrong with you people?
Be angry all you want. It doesn't change the facts. This guy was in violation of a local sign ordinance. If he, or anyone else, wants to challenge the constitutionality of that ordinance, I encourage it. I am all for freedom of speech. However, until that's done, this is a local ordinance issue, not a religious issue.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
And that is against the law, it is a freedom of speech issue. This is his private property. What is wrong with you people?
What's wrong with you? It's clear that this man is in violation of a local ordinance. Freedom of speech does not preclude every possible way to express a thought or idea in every possible context, you know.

These faux-constitutionalists are driving me batty right about now.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Considering this is happening in the same county that has banned all reading material except the Bible from the jail, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume this is not a freedom of religious expression issue.

What is IS, however, is a badly written sign ordinance issue. You cannot exclude some signs from regulation because of content. That falls under local vulgarity laws, not land use related ordinances. The County Planning Commission and County Council obviously didn't get proper legal review before passing the ordinance. Personally, I don't see how they can ban all yard signs. It's more likely that the permit is required so the county can ensure that yard signs fit certain size and materials standards.

Nice spin there, Fox!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I suggest you look up cases pertaining to zoning.

I also suggest you look up 'poll tax'.

Why the anger?
I'm angry because you're so easily dismissing a constitutional right; freedom of speech, which this case clearly is. A poll tax charged people to vote, just as this is a tax for freedom of speech. You are unwittingly advocating fascism. P.S Anyone referring to Fox News as Faux news and Fixed News has zero business calling someone "angry."

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
They can and they did. There can be ordinances against many things, fences, pet cages, etc. Heck, some towns have an ordinance banning the wild and dangerous ferret. They could have a regulation against standing within 5 feet of the road, while standing on one foot and scratching your nose, siting it is a distraction to motorist and therefor a danger.

I agree with Geechie and CarolinaBredChicagoan it has nothing to do with religion. That story did exactly what it set out to do ... typical of Fox News.
This is freedom of speech, a constitutional protection. This is his private property. What is wrong with you people?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What's wrong with you? It's clear that this man is in violation of a local ordinance. Freedom of speech does not preclude every possible way to express a thought or idea in every possible context, you know.

These faux-constitutionalists are driving me batty right about now.
The ordinance is against the constitution. Why do you not get that?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 PM

By the way, I noticed that no one had the stones to post their opinion in the main thread that I linked to.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
Quote:
By the way, I noticed that no one had the stones to post their opinion in the main thread that I linked to.
I think we all did, we just didn't agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina