Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 78,109 times

Advertisements

Would someone please tell me if you get tornados in SC more specifically between Charlotte, NC and York SC. If so how often and how deadly. I am from the midwest and we get them more than I like. We had one earlier this spring touch down less 2 miles from our home. To close for comfort for myslef and 3 kids. No warning sirens where we live either. We are looking to move due to a possible job change and would like to be rural. I have noticed alot of the homes are modular types on larger lots 2 or more acres. I would like to have the larger lot but I don't want to worry about being wiped out by a twister. I would gladly take a smaller home and lot for safety purposes. So please let me know your opinion on the subject. Thanks

Last edited by boysmom5; 07-07-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: wrong icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,446 times
We very rarely get tornados. If one develops up in the sky it is even more rare that it touches down. There have been a few that has caused some damage, maybe a handful that I can remember over the last 10-15 years, and it does seem to happen in more rural areas. Tornados are nothing like they are in the midwest though!

Yes there are alot of trailers and modulars in the country so to ease your mind some I would definately stay with a house.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 31,680 times
here is a useful link

South Carolina State Climatology Office

scroll down to Annual Distribution of Tornadoes

Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM

324 posts, read 1,527,891 times
granted it was in the mid 70's-early 80's i lived in north augusta & i can remember only 1 hitting by me...i can still remember standing in my front yard and seeing a 'cloud' that was so frigging dark far enough away for us not to worry but close enough for me to watch it...we went to look at the damage after...hit a country club good but not bad...

Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
We don't have a bad tornado problem in SC. I had to chuckle about asking for such a specific location, "betweeen Charlotte and York". Tornadoes can happen anywhere in the country, but the ones that hit South Carolina are (usually) small and not nearly as severe as in the midwest and great plains. Like anywhere else in the U.S. they do occur from time to time, but they are not a frequent occurance.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM

251 posts, read 1,127,760 times
South Carolina has an above average occurance of tornados when compared with the US as a whole, but certainly not as high as Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. The upstate/piedmont (including York-Charlotte) has a lower incidence than the midlands and the low country. The biggest problem is tornado magnets (trailers) which are often damaged.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

63 posts, read 233,731 times
You chuckle, but actually, we've never had any tornados where I live in NJ. I believe one or two have touched down in northern NJ, but never in my area to my knowledge. So altho they "could occur anywhere in the US", they don't historically occur everywhere...and truth is, for those of us who have never seen or been anywhere near a tornado, we just want to make sure it's unlikely they will visit the areas we are considering moving to....because it makes us feel less threatened. It all goes back to what we are used to or grew up with.

Last edited by NancyM; 02-07-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Tornadoes shouldn't be a concern if you're moving to South Carolina. The likelihood that you would every be affected by a tornado in a specific location here is miniscule.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,620 times
I was raised in York County and don't recall a tornado ever hitting my hometown. Maybe a close call every so often, but very infrequently. I think a tornado hit somewhere in southwest Charlotte some years ago (it may have been associated with a tropical depression/tropical storm), but that's the only case of a significant one I can think of. Ice storms hit more than tornadoes

Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
They are so rare here in the Upstate that we don't even have sirens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina