Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I never said spending more money on education was the solution. In fact, I think that would make it worse. What this state needs more than anything else is more certified teachers who actually know what they're doing and less spending on new schools not needed.
My apologies, I meant the first sentence to be towards you then I went off on a rant. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
My apologies, I meant the first sentence to be towards you then I went off on a rant. lol
Not a problem. I tend to it also. Personally, i've been finding the candidates in both parties to be getting worse but that's just my opinion. This is why I voted for Tom Clements over Alvin Greene or Jim Demint.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Republicans were in charge of the presidency and vice presidency when the recession hit unless Obama became president in January 2008. Is Obama supposed to wave a magic wand and make the world wide recession that he had nothing to do with go away in one day? Sorry, but that's not how economics 101 works. It takes time and sadly lots of spending by the government (how we got out of the Great Depression) to make things better. Now I do agree that spending needs to be slowed down although not completely stopped and waste like earmarks need to be cut out completely. Also, I think the economic stimulus package was a mistake not in a sense that it wasn't needed but how it was done instead. I would have done a smaller package that would have given $500 billion to infrastructure only.
Politics 101:

Do we have to go back and discuss Barney Frank and Chuck Schumer's role in the sub-prime mortgage crisis? The Dem's took control of Congress in 2008.

Bush should have done more to push back, he didn't, he failed also. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Obama basically "promised" things would be much better by now, lower unemployment rates for one. He's got two more years to fix things. Can't keep blaming the GOP, since the Dem's still control 2/3 of Washington.

BTW, how do you feel about Obama spending $1.8 Billion to go to India for a state visit?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/6797379.cms

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Politics 101:

Do we have to go back and discuss Barney Frank and Chuck Schumer's role in the sub-prime mortgage crisis? The Dem's took control of Congress in 2008.

Bush should have done more to push back, he didn't, he failed also. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Obama basically "promised" things would be much better by now, lower unemployment rates for one. He's got two more years to fix things. Can't keep blaming the GOP, since the Dem's still control 2/3 of Washington.

BTW, how do you feel about Obama spending $1.8 Billion to go to India for a state visit?

Barack and Michelle's Mumbai darshan plans - The Economic Times
I'll give you the things Obama promised but didn't keep included keeping unemployment at 8% and making it lower. He should have never opened his mouth about that. Like I said, I thought the stimulus package in the form it was voted on was a mistake. $1.8 billion for a vacation to India by Obama is a waste of money but so was the $1 trillion for Iraq spent by Bush. Every president has spent money on things they shouldn't have and that's the type of waste i'm talking about that needs to be cut.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:18 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Republicans were in charge of the presidency and vice presidency when the recession hit unless Obama became president in January 2008. Is Obama supposed to wave a magic wand and make the world wide recession that he had nothing to do with go away in one day?
What he meant was Democrats have had healthy majorities in Congress for 4 years now, and a Democratic president on for the last 2. No one expected the economy to be fixed in one day, but after 2 years of promises by the administration you would expect us to be recovering like the rest of the world. Instead, we have been bouncing off rock bottom for the past 18 months, and in the last 10 months the unemployment rate has remained unchanged. Other countries that spent far less than us have recovered with much greater strength, while we are left with a crippling deficit that will restrict legislative initiatives over the next decade.

Tuesday was a referendum on Democratic policies. Obviously the American people are not happy with the way Democrats have performed over the past 4 years (and especially the past 2), which resulted in a massive Republican landslide and the largest power shift in nearly 80 years.

Haley was not my first choice by any means, but her predecessor Sanford was anything but a failure (except for his affair of course). He worked very hard to bring new industry and jobs to SC. We reached one of the lowest unemployment rates ever recorded in this state under him. Of course Haley probably did not win by as large of a margin because she is Sikh and female, but the fact is she won, and I would expect her to work as hard as her predecessor to repair the state economy and budget shortcomings.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
Quote:

Just in case anyone is interested in reading the facts, as opposed to inflammatory hype ....

PolitiFact | Rep. Michele Bachmann claims Obama's trip to India will cost the taxpayers $200 million a day

Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
No joke. Can you imagine all the security that will be needed? And other aspects of world leadership protocol? International relations are very important, especially with an Indian governor for S.C.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Politics 101:

Please do. I'd be interested to read your take on how CRA loans are to blame for the subprime meltdown.

Quote:
Really now? Seems to me that you should be blaming Democrats for not having a spine and getting rid of the Bush era tax cuts before they contributed to most of the giant deficit we have today

Quote:
Again, blame congress. What kind of outcome is expected when a majority of a "stimulus" is just further tax cuts.

Quote:

Someone above me aleady got to that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina