U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
 
14 posts, read 19,833 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Wondering what are the top schools in South Carolina when it comes to business/economics. This is for undergraduate degrees.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
 
4,414 posts, read 3,355,491 times
Reputation: 2321
It really doesn't matter where you get an undergraduate business degree since a BA in business is about as generic as you can go with an undergraduate degree. Sure a diploma from CofC or Clemson may have a little more weight to it than a diploma from the local USC branch, but it's really just the fact that you have the BA that matters. The prestige factor isn't really taken into account until graduate school, and USC has an excellent International MBA program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It really doesn't matter where you get an undergraduate business degree since a BA in business is about as generic as you can go with an undergraduate degree. Sure a diploma from CofC or Clemson may have a little more weight to it than a diploma from the local USC branch
You're talking satellite campus here, right? Because the Columbia campus and the, say, Salkahatchie campus aren't exactly comparable...

Quote:
but it's really just the fact that you have the BA that matters. The prestige factor isn't really taken into account until graduate school, and USC has an excellent International MBA program.
Not just "excellent", but ranked ahead of Harvard, Duke, NYU, Michigan, Berkley, etc.

Also, the undergrad international biz program at USC is #1 in the nation (both according to US News rankings).

London's Financial Times,which is as bona fide a biz publication as you'd like, ranked USC's Moore School of Business MBA #1 in the world for "international experience".

etc, etc.

Obviously, the international biz aspect is key, but the business school, in general, is very, very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 AM
 
Location: The South
3,912 posts, read 5,366,460 times
Reputation: 2750
I know I'm biased (I've said lots of times that we love our Gamecocks!) but I couldn't find any indication that Clemson or CofC are particularly highly ranked in any business specialty. I'm not trying to start a fight here because both schools are still very good but USC has an international reputation. Not just US News but also publications like Financial Times (London) etc.

In this global economy, international business is critical.

But Clemson and CofC fans, let us know what your specialities are (not being nasty, I'm just curious what the top programs are)

And, since the OP, said five schools, don't forget Wofford & Furman -- both have very solid programs, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I know I'm biased (I've said lots of times that we love our Gamecocks!) but I couldn't find any indication that Clemson or CofC are particularly highly ranked in any business specialty. I'm not trying to start a fight here because both schools are still very good but USC has an international reputation. Not just US News but also publications like Financial Times (London) etc.

In this global economy, international business is critical.

But Clemson and CofC fans, let us know what your specialities are (not being nasty, I'm just curious what the top programs are)

And, since the OP, said five schools, don't forget Wofford & Furman -- both have very solid programs, too!
Clemson is strong for agriculture and engineering (certainly traditionally. I'm not sure of the rankings.)

College of Charleston is also very strong in business (#13 undergrad international biz program), though not quite as strong as USC. It's also supposed to be good for hospitality management.

And of course you are right. Wofford and Furman are great schools. Furman's grad program is mostly for educators: teachers and administrators. Wofford doesn't have a grad program at all, I don't think.

Both schools are good spots for a general undergraduate education. From there, you can move on to a grad school of your choice if you want to specialize. But I'd put their undergrad programs up against any of the state schools in SC any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Greenville, S.C., USA
5,473 posts, read 13,656,489 times
Reputation: 2531
You can find several academic rankings for Clemson University here. They have great engineering, architecture, finance, automotive engineering, Digital Production Arts, and MBA/MIB programs with overseas education available. More information about several opportunities to study abroad can be found here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
 
3,387 posts, read 4,334,620 times
Reputation: 2226
Clemson would make sense for a business degree if you were pairing with some type of science/engineering/ag component. It also has a separate real estate development masters now. They've gotten bigger on that cross curriculum aspect in the last decade but I'm not sure how far that is taken in the business grad school.

I've heard that both Clemson and Winthrop are good graduate business programs but they are not top tier for busniness schools in the South. Similarly Moore/USC is not as strong accross the board for business- its the international business specialty is where it shines. Darden & Fuqua are what I have heard considered the top business schools in the south. I guess the lesson is- good business schools need an extra name!

I think Furman would actually be the strongest undergraduate degree in SC (outside of science/engineering/etc.) That said- the larger schools will offer you more diversity and the ability to tack on minors/concentrations that would not be available at a small liberal arts school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,632 posts, read 13,786,436 times
Reputation: 2087
It depends on what you want to study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: The South
3,912 posts, read 5,366,460 times
Reputation: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You can find several academic rankings for Clemson University here. They have great engineering, architecture, finance, automotive engineering, Digital Production Arts, and MBA/MIB programs with overseas education available. More information about several opportunities to study abroad can be found here.
Yes, I knew Clemson had a great reputation for engineering, architechture etc. I just didn't think their business school was outstanding. And, I knew CofC had an excellent hotel/tourism program. And, we think USC is best for business!

It's wonderful to know SC has so many great options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
 
1,941 posts, read 3,937,271 times
Reputation: 963
Clemson has a strong undergraduate business program. BusinessWeek ranks it 19th among public schools and 45th overall (public and private combined).

Since someone is sure to question the results: BusinessWeek based its rankings on SAT scores, ratio of full-time faculty to students, average class size, the percentage of business majors with internships and the hours students spend each week on schoolwork, along with results of a survey of nearly 80,000 business majors at top schools and a poll of undergraduate recruiters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top