Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone here would know however i thought i'd give it a try and so does anyone possibly know of what county or 'district' as they were called back then that lake city was in during the civil war? I know that today it's in Florence county however that county was formed in 1888 and so i assume that lake city was part of either Marion or Williamsburg district (county) back then.

I'm asking as i'm trying to research my paternal ancestors who lived in and around lake city back then and who fought for the Confederacy during the war back then.

Thanks for any help!

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
archives.sc.gov - Maps tracing the Formation of Counties (http://archives.sc.gov/formation/ - broken link)

im not really sure. it sits on the line between Williamsburg and Florence, so if you're looking "in and around" lake city you will proably be looking at multiple counties or districts.

i believe Lake City itself would've been part of Marion County in 1860, because Florence County was once part of Marion County. Marion County was once part of Williamsburg County, Williamsburg County was once part of Craven County.

Last edited by le roi; 11-18-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM

255 posts, read 610,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
archives.sc.gov - Maps tracing the Formation of Counties (http://archives.sc.gov/formation/ - broken link)

im not really sure. it sits on the line between Williamsburg and Florence, so if you're looking "in and around" lake city you will proably be looking at multiple counties or districts.

i believe Lake City itself would've been part of Marion County in 1860, because Florence County was once part of Marion County. Marion County was once part of Williamsburg County, Williamsburg County was once part of Craven County.
Actually, Williamsburg County was once part of Georgetown County, not Craven County. Also, Lake City was part of Williamsburg County until after 1860 when the town decided to become part of Florence County.

http://www.lakecitysc.org/history.php This link should be able to provide you with more detail as to how Lake City was a part of Williamsburg County.

Last edited by augusto29556; 11-18-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto29556 View Post
Actually, Williamsburg County was once part of Georgetown County, not Craven County.

Craven County is the original name for the entire area of the Pee Dee, most of eastern NC and SC, including what would become Lake City.

they created the Georgetown District out of Craven County, sometime around the split of North and South Carolina.

Williamsburg County and Georgetown (Winyah) County were two of the counties in the Georgetown District.

Last edited by le roi; 11-19-2010 at 05:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Le Roi and Augusto

I really appreciate your help and info . So i now learned that Lake City was called Graham and so i found an old map with the districts during 1873 which has the town Grahams listed in Williamsburg as i'm going to assume then that Lake City (Graham) was in the Williamsburg district during the 1860's.

Does this look about right ?
http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001...view-dhtml.xsl

Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Yup, I think you are right.

That 1873 Map shows a rail line running north through Cade, then Graham, and then Coward.

Using Google Maps aerials, I can still see that rail line, in the same configuration, that runs north through Cade, then Lake City, then Scranton, and then Coward.

It looks to me, though, that old "Graham", which would've been a post office (and maybe a train station), was a crossroads just a mile or two from Lake City, north across the swamp... right about here... based on the rail line and the swamp of the 1873 map.. not to mention, if you head north a quarter mile, you hit "Graham Rd".

Last edited by le roi; 11-19-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina