U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 AM

3,363 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Default Megabus in south carolina?

MegaBus is growing in popularity particuliarly in crowded cities. In some cases it is considered as an "upscale" bus as opposed to Greyhound and is increasingly popular among the 20 and 30 somethings as a way to get to/from DC, Baltimore, NYC and even Toronto. Buses are clean, sometimes even double decker and offer cheap fares often as low $1, Wi Fi and usually use street corner pick up locations as opposed to the traditional terminal.

Mega is expanding into NC Charlotte and Raleigh in particular. Their large 20 -30 something population should serve them well. That being said, I wonder if service would expand in to SC particuliarly into Greenville and Columbia by providing low cost way to get to Charlotte, DC and beyond?? The other appeal of this service is that they have far fewer stops than your traditional Greyhound Bus.. Do we see a shift back to Buses give the challenge of Flying, the unreliability of rail service (schedule hours in SC stations) and congested roads????

megabus US - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 PM

302 posts, read 449,524 times
I've never heard of this, but I find it interesting that you can get a $1 ticket to DC from Charlotte.

It's definitely worth checking out, because who knows how much you'd pay in flights or gas to get there otherwise.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 AM

9,144 posts, read 4,933,591 times
I've never been on a bus ... but this sounds pretty good.

CHARLOTTE | Megabus with Wi-Fi to offer service from Charlotte to D.C. | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC (http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/11/16/2618912/megabus-with-wi-fi-to-offer-service.html - broken link)

Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Yes it would be great if it expanded in SC... particuliarly if there was a stop at USC in Columbia or Downtown Charleston and Greenville. The Charleston and Columbia routes could likely use the same bus to Charlotte then could go to Raleigh and on to DC. DC I believe is being developed as the hub for Mega Bus so you would have to transfer there to go to NYC, Boston or Toronto. Fare specials for $1 or for even $30 each way would keep the buses full.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 19,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
MegaBus is growing in popularity particuliarly in crowded cities.

I wonder if service would expand in to SC particuliarly into Greenville and Columbia by providing low cost way to get to Charlotte, DC and beyond?? The other appeal of this service is that they have far fewer stops than your traditional Greyhound Bus.. Do we see a shift back to Buses give the challenge of Flying, the unreliability of rail service (schedule hours in SC stations) and congested roads????

megabus US - Home

I love Megabus... I got to know about it in 2006 when I was in Cincinnati.. It had very limited operations then... But I loved it then.. almost every weekend I would go to chicago by Megabus.... Guess how much each trip costed ??
$ 1 for a round trip .. I suggested Megabus to all my frnds..slowly it increased operations....Added many more cities,... and increased frequency also.....
Amazing thing is ..they added WiFi on Bus..
This Service is Far superior than Greyhound...

I wonder why people do not know about Megabus...

And I sincerely hope they start service in Greenville.... currently I have to go to Charlotte to take Megabus to washington...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,329,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That being said, I wonder if service would expand in to SC particuliarly into Greenville and Columbia by providing low cost way to get to Charlotte, DC and beyond?
Did you ask them?

As gas costs rise, so will the fares. Plus, this bus, just like a train or plane, lack that one mandatory feature: Door to door travel on demand. Only your car can provide that.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,205,800 times
I wish Charlotte would expand their cities they go to. They only go to 3 cities. I'd like to be able to go to Chicago, Cleveland, and other cities more North, besides WDC.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Did you ask them?

As gas costs rise, so will the fares. Plus, this bus, just like a train or plane, lack that one mandatory feature: Door to door travel on demand. Only your car can provide that.

I did not but I am certain that its only a matter of time.. .They serve Knoxville for God's sake.. so Im a certain a Columbia, Gville or Charleston is in the future. Gas prices are higher now than when Megabus first started five years or so ago. There is probably some method to their madness.. Knoxville is of similiar size to Columbia. Both cities have a large university that is likely the bulk of their customer base.If you look at their website most of the cities served have large universities/college populations and connect them with major cities most of which have well developed transit systems which making driving your car to them to them less attractive...(i.e. NYC, Chicago, DC, Toronto, Boston et al)

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-03-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,359,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Did you ask them?

I think your logic is little off there. Of course their operating costs will rise as the cost of gas goes up, but the price per passenger mile will likely decrease versus the cost of a personal vehicle. Also, you're not in Megabus' target market if door-to-door convenience is more important than cost.

What's not to like about comfortable seats, low fares, amenities like wi-fi, and true city to city transit with out stops at every podunk town with a Hardee's. If only we had trains like that.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM

5,400 posts, read 5,776,440 times
I think a viable and reliable bus alternative is a great thing - the more options the better! As long as it's comfortable, safe and competitive from a cost and time perspective, why not??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina