U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2010, 04:35 PM

56 posts, read 76,728 times
Default Should I move to South Carolina?

Hi,
My husband and I are thinking about moving to South Carolina.We've lived in Florida before and are currently in Connecticut which we hate with a passion!( didn't mean to bash). The people are cold, there are no lively activities and the 20 something are nowhere to be found. We are not club/ late partiers but since we are in our 20's (25-28) we do enjoy the company of people our age to double date.
So how are the people in South Carolina? How is the job market? My husband is in the telecommunication field and me teaching. What about the towns? I've made a little research and think Irmo or West Columbia would fit us better, but my husband wants a place not too far a way from the beach. Are there any nice suburban areas not far away from the beach? Besides Columbia are there any other big cities? Sorry for drilling you guys with question...but we want to get out of CT...Fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 PM

144 posts, read 137,826 times
In my humble opinion your best bet is Charleston but I would also look at Greenville.
Greenville is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from the beach and in the mountains but I think there is a better telecommunication industry, I know that Windstream and Telecom are two that come to mind.

Either way Charleston and Greenville are going to be the most economically viable cities at the moment in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM

539 posts, read 916,032 times
Should you move to SC? No.

No job market, horrid schools. In fact, some organization in the state is advertising, quite disguistingly I may add, that companies should move their business to SC due to the fact we have "lower than average salaries". Yes, awesome reason isn't it? Pay us less because we are less useful? No thanks.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,049,824 times
I definitely agree with Pburgess......my vote for moving to SC is also a no!
Nice to visit but that is where it ends. Problems too numerous to mention. If you must move south I would consider NC or GA.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 PM

539 posts, read 916,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I definitely agree with Pburgess......my vote for moving to SC is also a no!
Nice to visit but that is where it ends. Problems too numerous to mention. If you must move south I would consider NC or GA.
Heck, I probably wouldn't go farther than MD at this point! Joking aside, I have a friend in Raleigh that is struggling for work, but he is an IT professional and that seems to be a rough field right now. He works for a month or two, then off for a while, works, etc. But, you know, the recession is over and all that and it's probably just our imagination

Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,319 times
My husband and I are also thinking of moving to either north or south carolina. But not sure which. We have two small children so i'd want it be somewhere that's safe and has good schools. I know every town has crimes but some have more than others. Any suggestions? We currently live in TN we were born and raised here and we are ready to leave. We also don't want to live too close to the ocean just somewhere in the middle.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,701,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Either way Charleston and Greenville are going to be the most economically viable cities at the moment in my opinion.
Based on what? They are all pretty much on the same playing field at the moment with very similar unemployment rates. But since the OP doesn't want to be too far from the beach, somewhere in the Charleston metro would suit her best obviously.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,084,234 times
Dear OP,
Charleston, Charleston, Charleston.
Visit.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,270 times
My husband and I recently bought land near Charleston and we plan on building and moving in the next two years. We have spent the past two summers (7 weeks) on Folly Beach and fell in love!! Our two young boys learned to surf - i took a lesson and didn't fare as well as they did. Folly is an amazing beach town near Charleston. If you've never been to Charleston - try it for a weekend. You won't be disappointed. Also, teaching licenses are reciprocal (from ny, nj and conn) and you can get a job in a heartbeat. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,270 times
Check out Daniel Island - it's near Charleston and has great schools. Good family town, near the beaches and downtown Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina