U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 AM

7 posts, read 15,176 times

Advertisements

I'm a 50 year old african american woman moving to Hilton Head Island from southern California. Can't find work here. Already have a job offer but for only $14.00 an hour. Made 6 figures 3 years ago but have been struggling ever since. I'm a bit concerned about race relations and after having been in very liberal California I'm terrified that I'll pack my life up and will be miserable once I get there. Really struggling with this decision and on a very very short schedule. Think this is a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM

19,556 posts, read 12,213,295 times
Hilton Head itself is expensive,off island is cheaper to live...Bluffton for example.

Race is not an issue,no matter how other parts of the country may stereotype the South.

I personally wouldn't relocate all the way over here for a job that isn't really that great a pay,especially considering the cost of moving cross country.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,176 times
Default Thanks Oz

You don't know how many days and nights I've cried about making this decision. It's either this or the streets. This seemed like at least a nice long thought provoking ride. I'm a 99er. 475 weekly is horrendous compared to 8K - 15K monthly commission checks a few years ago but you're waiting on the mail man when that's all that's coming in. However, running out end of January. No replacement funds in site. Friend called and said just get here and get in and the salary will get better in time. No crystal ball but I know that it usually doesn't work that way but gotta do something different. What I'm doing now ain't working. Can't sleep trying to figure out how to stay in sunny southern California where my children, grandchildren, colleagues and lifestyle live. Been here 23 years. Killing me at the thought of leaving. Can't cry in my milk, borrow from friends and pass up SOME kind of offer when I get it. Folks don't forget that and when you come a borrowin' they'll remember that quick. Got a college degree in interior design from private design school in Newport Beach, CA. It's not impressing a sole and not helping a bit right now. Thanks for the frankness.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevhandy View Post
Got a college degree in interior design from private design school in Newport Beach, CA. It's not impressing a sole and not helping a bit right now. Thanks for the frankness.
You might find work doing interior design here,Mrs oz is knows quite a few from her work in sales,she is involved in granite and tile.

As you can imagine,things aren't quite as good as they were a few years back...in fact her workplace ecently went to straight commission,no more salary...

You can always commute to Hilton Head from Beaufort or Bluffton,that might help some.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM

9,243 posts, read 5,245,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevhandy View Post
You don't know how many days and nights I've cried about making this decision. It's either this or the streets. This seemed like at least a nice long thought provoking ride. I'm a 99er. 475 weekly is horrendous compared to 8K - 15K monthly commission checks a few years ago but you're waiting on the mail man when that's all that's coming in. However, running out end of January. No replacement funds in site. Friend called and said just get here and get in and the salary will get better in time. No crystal ball but I know that it usually doesn't work that way but gotta do something different. What I'm doing now ain't working. Can't sleep trying to figure out how to stay in sunny southern California where my children, grandchildren, colleagues and lifestyle live. Been here 23 years. Killing me at the thought of leaving. Can't cry in my milk, borrow from friends and pass up SOME kind of offer when I get it. Folks don't forget that and when you come a borrowin' they'll remember that quick. Got a college degree in interior design from private design school in Newport Beach, CA. It's not impressing a sole and not helping a bit right now. Thanks for the frankness.
From reading this post, you will be miserable here. Referring to the part of leaving your children and grandchildren. Do you have any family here in South Carolina?

Race is no problem so take that worry off your list. Have you ever visited South Carolina? You are in for a total cultural shock to your system in addition to the homesickness. Our neighbors are both natives of California and it took years for them to adjust but they did and would never leave now.

Please understand I am not trying to add to your worries or discourage your relocation. South Carolina is not exactly liberal. You can check our voting records online. Change doesn't come easy here.

Can you not find a job at $14.00 an hour in California? My niece graduated from Appalachian State University a few years ago with a four year degree in interior design. She started out at $11.00 an hour and when the housing bubble burst she was out of work for over a year. She was fortunate to find a job with a commercial builder but the pay isn't even $14.00 an hour yet.

Again, I am not trying to discourage you, just reading your post, with all the doubts and worries that you have already moving 3000 miles across the country you would need to have a positive attitude, really excited about your move or you could be like me just a worrier. I worry and plan everything.

If you have the money and the time you need to spend a little time over here. If the Bush Tax cuts are approved that should give you another 13 months of unemployment benefits (if I am understanding what congress is attempting to pass today or tomorrow.)

I have children, a grandchild, family and friends here and can well understand your turmoil. Best wishes in this difficult decision and I sincerely hope everything will work out for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,415,591 times
Bevhandy,
I am sorry that you are in the situation that you are in. Try to look at it like this, what do you
have to loose?
Your unemployment benefits are out. Period.
You are my age, 50, so unless you have your own business, you are up against
age discrimination. YEs, it exsists.
You could try it for 1 year, just give it a year.
See how it goes. Try to look at it positive, if you don't like the job
and situation in 1 year, you could always go back, you have family there.
People in South Carolina are pretty fair with people based on you as a person.
We are not the nonsense that you hear in the news.
You may very well find that you actually learn to love it here, you never know.
Life is strange sometimes isn't it?
GOod Luck to you in any decision you make and have a good holiday and New Year.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,575,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Race is not an issue,no matter how other parts of the country may stereotype the South.
In the Beaufort/Hilton Head area? It absolutely is. For one, there's a very stark contrast, particularly in the Hilton Head area, between those who patronize the establishments there and those that work for them. That's very symptomatic of overall race relations in that part of the state.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Nope, you are wrong.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,575,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nope, you are wrong.
Where's your proof to the contrary?

Anyone who's familiar with Hilton Head knows what I'm saying is absolutely true. The race/class gap down there is about as stark as anywhere else in the South. To act like Blacks and Whites down there are of similar socio-economic standing and are rubbing shoulders and drinking mint juleps together is about as false a picture as anyone could paint and you know it. This glaring contrast is one of the main reasons why, out of all of the (Black) friends I went to college with from different parts of the state, I do not know of one from the Beaufort/Hilton Head area who actually wanted to go back home after graduation.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 PM

180 posts, read 215,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Where's your proof to the contrary?

Anyone who's familiar with Hilton Head knows what I'm saying is absolutely true. The race/class gap down there is about as stark as anywhere else in the South. To act like Blacks and Whites down there are of similar socio-economic standing and are rubbing shoulders and drinking mint juleps together is about as false a picture as anyone could paint and you know it. This glaring contrast is one of the main reasons why, out of all of the (Black) friends I went to college with from different parts of the state, I do not know of one from the Beaufort/Hilton Head area who actually wanted to go back home after graduation.
Sorry but your post is inaccurate, besides you do not even live here. Atlanta is more racist than any area of the US, totally racially divided. Bluffton/Beaufort/H.Head is far more racially tolerant, than Atlanta has been for 40 years. I lived there 3 years and would not do so again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina