U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM

9,121 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Default South Carolina High Schools AP & IB Exams

The College Board this morning released scoring reports for Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses in South Carolina's high schools.

The attachment has the scores for all the SC High Schools. AP is first and then the IB scores ... most schools offer Advanced Placement but not all schools offer the International Baccalaureate courses.

http://media.heraldonline.com/smedia/2010/12/16/12/AP-IB2010ExamResults.source.prod_affiliate.6.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM

3,177 posts, read 1,198,790 times
Default Kudos to SC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The College Board this morning released scoring reports for Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses in South Carolina's high schools.

The attachment has the scores for all the SC High Schools. AP is first and then the IB scores ... most schools offer Advanced Placement but not all schools offer the International Baccalaureate courses.

http://media.heraldonline.com/smedia/2010/12/16/12/AP-IB2010ExamResults.source.prod_affiliate.6.pdf (broken link)
Dear Carolina Woman,

I was so pleased to see this report issued by SC. In fact, I'm pretty sure SC is the ONLY state which has issued such a breakout of IB Diploma results in the country. IB stats are very difficult to come by.

My husband and I plan to move to SC from NY this year. When we began our search last year, we deliberately avoided any school districts which offered IB. I am the administrator of a website called Truth About IB. A school district which decides to purchase the outrageously expensive IB program not only drives up local school taxes unnecessarily, it has been duped by the rhetoric of the global elites that IB will improve its schools. It doesn't. IB causes controversy and divisiveness wherever parents and taxpayers are astute enough to question its UNESCO ideology. IB is also currently being used by low-income districts as a means of making a grab for Federal grant money, the real agenda being "social justice".

It is my hope that this report will wake up some SC taxpayers as to what a waste of money IB really is and that they will demand the restoration of FREE, transparent, traditional and well respected AP courses.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,312,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Dear Carolina Woman,

I was so pleased to see this report issued by SC. In fact, I'm pretty sure SC is the ONLY state which has issued such a breakout of IB Diploma results in the country. IB stats are very difficult to come by.

My husband and I plan to move to SC from NY this year. When we began our search last year, we deliberately avoided any school districts which offered IB. I am the administrator of a website called Truth About IB. A school district which decides to purchase the outrageously expensive IB program not only drives up local school taxes unnecessarily, it has been duped by the rhetoric of the global elites that IB will improve its schools. It doesn't. IB causes controversy and divisiveness wherever parents and taxpayers are astute enough to question its UNESCO ideology. IB is also currently being used by low-income districts as a means of making a grab for Federal grant money, the real agenda being "social justice".

It is my hope that this report will wake up some SC taxpayers as to what a waste of money IB really is and that they will demand the restoration of FREE, transparent, traditional and well respected AP courses.

in agreement. was having this same discussion with my father over christmas break with regards to this report and both our feelings are that IB isn't horrible but since it doesn't lead to college credit and only looks good school districts would be more apt to look into creating relationships with local 2 year colleges to try and create situations where high school seniors could take college freshman courses and try to get ahead that way. while AP allows for kids to get college credit the days of getting a 3 and getting credit are long gone. many schools even the one i attended now mandate 4's or higher in almost all AP subject areas to receive any kind of credit. but yes IB isn't a necessity and really only gives the impression of what a school is. more investment in AP and 2 year CC's relationships is where schools should look.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

9,121 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Dear Carolina Woman,

Thank you for this info. My children are grown and gone but I do have one grandchild in the Rock Hill SC public school system.

I didn't think anyone even read the post. The main reason I posted that info was the question always comes up in our area (York County SC) regarding who has the best schools; Rock Hill, York, Clover or Fort Mill.

I don't think the attachment in my original post works anymore. I found the info at the SC Dept of Ed.

http://ed.sc.gov/agency/Accountability/Data-Management-and-Analysis/old/research/documents/AP-IB2010ExamResults.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

302 posts, read 444,983 times
Many schools give credit for IB exams.

I personally am not a fan of IB and have been under the impression that many colleges prefer AP over IB, but most schools will give credit for IB.

Take Carolina for example: USC Undergraduate Admissions

The catch is that they'll only offer it for HL courses and not SL courses, so I don't think you can take very many.

IB also doesn't play on the strengths and weaknesses of a student. With AP, you can choose which courses to take AP, Honors, Regular, etc. With IB, you have to take six subjects a year that are all IB.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Many schools give credit for IB exams.

I personally am not a fan of IB and have been under the impression that many colleges prefer AP over IB, but most schools will give credit for IB.

Take Carolina for example: USC Undergraduate Admissions

The catch is that they'll only offer it for HL courses and not SL courses, so I don't think you can take very many.

IB also doesn't play on the strengths and weaknesses of a student. With AP, you can choose which courses to take AP, Honors, Regular, etc. With IB, you have to take six subjects a year that are all IB.

i wonder what defines standard level IB. any examples?

incorrect - IB does play on the strengths and weaknesses of a student. you can take IB courses without fully immersing yourself into IB. i have a senior wrestler who only took IB Math last year and is taking the second version of IB Math this year. These are his only 2 IB courses he is taking because as he put it his strength is Math. AP is the same. you can take AP History if history is your strength and skip AP Chem if sciences are not your strength. I had a wrestler last year who as a senior took IB Biology and it was his only IB course in 4 years. and with AP there is no Honors or Regular AP just AP. with IB you can take SL and HL IIB courses apparently.

now again since i'm not sure what defines SL versus HL as far as credit goes i dont know how the above impacts credit potential.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 PM

*Edit I should mention that if you want to attempt an IB diploma (which is the point of IB), then you're supposed to take all six courses. You can pick and choose.

With the IB diploma, you're supposed to take three HL courses and three SL courses, I think. Technically, I think the HL courses are supposed to be taught for longer periods of time and go more in depth than the SL classes do. Not sure exactly how it works.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
*Edit I should mention that if you want to attempt an IB diploma (which is the point of IB), then you're supposed to take all six courses. You can pick and choose.

With the IB diploma, you're supposed to take three HL courses and three SL courses, I think. Technically, I think the HL courses are supposed to be taught for longer periods of time and go more in depth than the SL classes do. Not sure exactly how it works.

that sounds familiar. i know our IB coordinator gave the staff a presentation like 5 years ago on how it all works but nothing since then haha.

couldn't tell ya on length. i know the one senior wrestler i have right now took IB Math last year as a junior for the whole year and is taking IB Math aggain with the same teacher again for the whole year. he said its basically one class taught over a 2 year period i guess.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM

IB Diploma Programme curriculum

"Normally:

* three of the six subjects are studied at higher level (courses representing 240 teaching hours)
* the remaining three subjects are studied at standard level (courses representing 150 teaching hours)."

Their website explains it some more.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,384 times
Can anyone tell me how AB & IB relate to core curriculum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina