U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 30,646 times

Advertisements

We live in SC and my husband works in NC. Accordingly, his company is withholding NC taxes on his paycheck. Just wondering how all this works. Will we pay only NC income tax, or be reimbursed or credited if we have to pay SC tax. Any help is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,597,638 times
You will file taxes in both states, but it is just recordkeeping in SC. Your actually taxes will only be paid to NC.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,306,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You will file taxes in both states, but it is just recordkeeping in SC. Your actually taxes will only be paid to NC.
I have been doing some research and I must be a bad researcher because I can't seem to figure out what percentage the the state income tax is for SC. I know NC is 7% but is SC 7%

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM

157 posts, read 737,338 times
You can use TurboTax online for no charge to create a state tax return for any state that has state income tax, doing this will show you what your taxes would be.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 AM

80 posts, read 235,349 times
OK, so if I understand correctly, are you saying that if you live in SC and work in NC, you pay NC state tax? If so, then why do so many people say that they live in SC for the lower taxes?

Where we live now, if you pay tax to the state in which you reside, regardless of where you work. So I assumed it was the same there.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,597,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMom811 View Post
OK, so if I understand correctly, are you saying that if you live in SC and work in NC, you pay NC state tax? If so, then why do so many people say that they live in SC for the lower taxes?

Where we live now, if you pay tax to the state in which you reside, regardless of where you work. So I assumed it was the same there.
You pay NC income tax if your money is coming from NC. SC has income tax too, so there is not much of a difference in that regard. SC IS CURRENTLY (and I stress CURRENTLY) lower in property tax, gasoline tax, and some other taxes.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 13,167 times
I am filing joint with my wife. Our residence is in MA and she works for the gov in VA. will she have to pay taxes in both states?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,188 times
I lived and worked in SC until May of 2008 then I moved to PA but now work in MD. Do I have to file a state return for all three states or just for PA and SC where I had residences?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,375 times
I work in Florida but live in Alabama. Do I have to file state income tax in Alabama?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM

856 posts, read 1,059,839 times
From Turbotax:

The Basics

Most nonresident state filing situations boil down to these three steps:
  1. Prepare a return for the nonresident state. You will only report the income and withholdings relevant to that state.
  2. Prepare a return for your resident state. You will report all of your income, regardless of where you earned it.
  3. Take a credit for taxes paid to the nonresident state on your resident state return so that you won't get double-taxed on the same income.
For example, if you live in Kansas but work in neighboring Missouri, you would file a nonresident Missouri return in addition to your usual Kansas return. You'd then take a credit for any taxes you paid to Missouri on your Kansas return

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina