Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,031 times

Advertisements

Did you move to Georgetown? I am planning on moving to the coast next summer and have been researching towns. I have never been there and am trying to get more information before I drive to look in person. I will also have two kids in middle school/high school. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM

130 posts, read 266,628 times
Default Moved from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwaugusta View Post
Did you move to Georgetown? I am planning on moving to the coast next summer and have been researching towns. I have never been there and am trying to get more information before I drive to look in person. I will also have two kids in middle school/high school. Thanks.
Actually grew up there and left many years ago. Would not move back. Ironically my high school classmates for the most part either left area or moved to Pawleys Island or Murrells Inlet areas.
You really need to look closely, particularly if you have kids in school.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
Default semi-retire to Georgetown SC

New to site
have been researching Georgetown for relocation ran across this forum but the posts are dated would anyone have current input about historic Georgetown

Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
As a former low country resident, if I had to give the low country an enema I would put the tube in Georgetown. Once you get away from the "cutesy" downtown area, the town has nothing else to offer except cheap fast food places.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
IMO, that’s a little harsh. We’ve lived in Georgetown County for about 18 years and much prefer to go to Georgetown than to Myrtle Beach. If we could afford it, we would live in the historic section of Georgetown, but that requires deep pockets. Georgetown is the only remaining place along the Grand Strand that offers anything resembling the feel of a small Southern town. It has not yet been overrun by either tourism or migrating retirees, but I fear those days will come in the not too distant future.

Like most places, it has negatives. It is not booming with highly paid jobs, which means there are a number of depressed areas around town. If you are considering relocation and need to work, be sure you have a job before you move. Also, an experienced RE agent who knows the area well is essential. If you have school-age kids, I would probably consider other areas first. For me, the biggest negative is shopping. While there are a number of excellent small shops and businesses, the grocery stores and hardware stores leave something to be desired. Finally, there’s the paper mill. While it is noticeable on some days, a lot of us do not find it objectionable. There are some, however, who complain unceasingly about it.

It’s a place you need to visit awhile before seriously considering a move. You’ll either find yourself embracing Georgetown or deciding to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina