Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 11,141 times

Advertisements

I need some unfiltered information about Georgetown. Potential spot for relocation in the medical field. We will still have three daughters at home, elementary to HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,800,710 times
Georgetown, the third oldest settlement in SC, is a neat little town. We visit frequently and prefer it to the chaos called "Myrtle Beach". Their waterfront area (Front Street) has interesting little shops, a few art galleries. a RiverWalk boardwalk, and quite a few good restaurants. The rest of Georgetown is an odd mix. Restoration of old homes near the waterfront is moving along at a slow pace, but is currently a mix of depressed properties and expensive restorations. There are some expensive properties on Winyah Bay, but also lots of not very nice areas. A population explosion was expected a few years ago, but the economy bust put a damper on all of that. The downtown area also has a very old steel mill, starting back up this week after a 2 year+ layoff, and a paper mill. The steel mill still spits some ferrous oxide into the atmosphere, but it's under much better control. You'll see quite a bit of brown-stained buildings in the mill's vicinity, leftovers from when pollution control was non-existent. The papermill adds a little aroma, but overall not really objectionable. Depending upon wind direction, you'll know it's there for quite a few miles around. Georgetown is truly small-town living. If you're accustomed to city amenities, you'll probably find it to be "quaint", at best.

Our kids are on their own living in another state, but my impression of Georgetown schools leaves something to be desired. Hopefully, some others with firsthand experience will jump in and add something meaningful. If you visit, you may want to take a look at Pawleys Island, about a 15 minute drive from Georgetown. Generally speaking, the schools in PI are considered to be a better choice and residential opportunities may be more attractive. We know quite a few folks who live in PI and work in Georgetown. PI will also give you much closer beach access. I'm not suggesting that PI is better than Georgetown, but I recommend checking out both of 'em if you visit.

Don't mean to discourage you. We truly like Georgetown. As empty nesters, we've discussed several times moving from PI to Georgetown. Usually, those discussions occur when tourist season is in full bloom. If I can help with any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,486,861 times
I don't personally know much about G'town, but I thoroughly LOVED the time I've spent there! Now, if only they could move that paper mill or find another (less smelly) industrial use for it....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,921,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I don't personally know much about G'town, but I thoroughly LOVED the time I've spent there! Now, if only they could move that paper mill or find another (less smelly) industrial use for it....
The paper mill is jobs ... the smell to the people that work there and businesses surrounding the mill is money!

I love Georgetown but I can't tell you anything about the schools. Like PawleysDude said in his post Pawley's Island is just a few miles from Georgetown as is Litchfield unless your job mandates that you live in Georgetown.

The College Board released the 2010 South Carolina high school scores on the Advanced Placement Examinations. Georgetown County scores can be found on Page 7 on this attachment.

http://ed.sc.gov/agency/Accountability/Data-Management-and-Analysis/old/research/documents/AP-IB2010ExamResults.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,486,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The paper mill is jobs ... the smell to the people that work there and businesses surrounding the mill is money!
Presumably, an alternative (industrial) use for the site would also include jobs....

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,800,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Now, if only they could move that paper mill....
I've been around some paper mills that were terrible, but I've never found the one in Georgetown to be objectionable. I rarely notice it, even when I'm in Georgetown a few miles from the mill. International Paper, along with the Georgetown Hospital system, are the two largest private employers in Georgetown County. IP is essential to the economic well-being of the area. Without them, the only hope for Georgetown would be to mutate into a tinseltown tourist trap, and that approach has already destroyed much of coastal SC's flavor and appeal. I hope Georgetown never falls victim to it.

To follow-up on CarolinaWoman's information, Georgetown HS serves the city of Georgetown and immediate surroundings. Waccamaw HS serves Pawleys Island and Murrells Inlet. The other two high schools serve interior regions of Georgetown County.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,921,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I've been around some paper mills that were terrible, but I've never found the one in Georgetown to be objectionable. I rarely notice it, even when I'm in Georgetown a few miles from the mill. International Paper, along with the Georgetown Hospital system, are the two largest private employers in Georgetown County. IP is essential to the economic well-being of the area. Without them, the only hope for Georgetown would be to mutate into a tinseltown tourist trap, and that approach has already destroyed much of coastal SC's flavor and appeal. I hope Georgetown never falls victim to it.

To follow-up on CarolinaWoman's information, Georgetown HS serves the city of Georgetown and immediate surroundings. Waccamaw HS serves Pawleys Island and Murrells Inlet. The other two high schools serve interior regions of Georgetown County.

Waccamaw had the best scores. I am so glad my children are out of school! Educated, self-supporting, out and about on their own ... whew!

I like Georgetown such a neat little downtown area. I too hope International Paper will be around for a long long time. With the loss of every cotton mill in SC we are fortunate to have any industry left at all.

Feman64, have you visited the area yet?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 28,956 times
I began looking at Walterboro - took suggestions from others (St. George, Holly Hill, Pawleys Island, Harleyville, etc. etc.) but I keep coming back to Georgetown. Just looking for a nice friendly place to retire, have great neighbors, and go on long walks with my 3 labs. Just need a 1,2, 3 bedroom house with a yard for my buds. Like to THANK everyone for their ideas and thoughts;THANKS!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 AM

730 posts, read 1,394,071 times
I would steer clear of Walterboro. Depressing place these days. No jobs, bad economy. Coaching buddy at Colleton County HS says some riff-raff has drifted in from inner Charleston and there is now some gang-related issues in town. He said the schools are having a tough time battling this problem.

Couldn't tell you a thing about Georgetown. Only been through there twice traveling up Hwy. 17 from Charleston to Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 AM

130 posts, read 265,484 times
Haven't been back in a while, but I graduated from high school in Georgetown. Ironically, most of my high school classmates either left the county altogether or moved to Pawleys Island or Murrels Inlet, but that was before prices skyrocketed.
If the paper mill closes, Georgetown dies. It's as simple as that and always has been. Probably 4-5,000 people have jobs related to the mill. BTW, its unionized which has resulted in high paying, secure jobs for the area since 1936.
I was offered a job in Walterboro many years ago. Thank goodness I didn't take it.
Take a lot of time to look around the Georgetown area before investing in a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina