Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 PM

60 posts, read 126,643 times

Advertisements

You may recognize me from previous threads trying to find someplace to call home... The SC area (hilton head, charleston, james island) is looking more interesting to me after additional targeted research. I am still not 100% done researching so please do not trash my post or become condescending if my questions don't make sense (bad experience in other forums). Simply look over the post and don't bother with a reply.

I would like to know if anyone knows what the market/demand may be like in Charleston or Hilton Head for a personal chef w/ a niche area - For example, southern food w/ flair and/or vegan/vegetarian offerings. A quick search online only revealed 2 personal chefs, only 1 of which I may be in direct competition with. And I didn't really see anything like that on their menus. Is it because that's just not what the locals or people that stay in the beach houses short term like? Or have they just not tapped into that market yet? I also didn't find too many vegan/vegetarian restaurants online for the area.

For example, here in Michigan, there are several pockets of cities that are stuck on vegan/raw/vegetarian - Is there a veg community here that you know of? To get an idea of what I would like to offer in SC - go to dinnerbyprimadonna dot com and click on menus/faqs -> veg menus...just wondering the likely hood of success with those menus.

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM

899 posts, read 2,279,268 times
I think there would definitely be that sort of niche market for your interests in the Charleston area and other parts ofthe coast, especially if you blend your vegetarian focus with the whole "nouveau" Southern cuisine trend that emphasizes fresh, local ingredients. There's a lot of buzz around the state among people who pay attention to stuff like this about more and more national observers seeing Charleston as overtaking New Orleans as the "Culinary Capital of the South" (what a debate that will start!) But there does seem to be a whole "Southern foodie" movement happening in Charleston but also places like Greenville, SC--where "lowcountry cuisine" is exceedingly fashionable and new restaurants seem to be popping up that emphasize fresh, locally grown ingredients. So I guess I am saying that I think your niche could surely fit in to the food tastes of South Carolina.

ETV (South Carolina's PBS station) has done a couple of programs discussing new trends in Southern food/Charleston cuisine that I found pretty interesting. You can actually watch them online:
http://www.scetv.org/index.php/take_...thern_cooking/
http://www.scetv.org/index.php/the_big_picture/show/southern_cooking2/ (broken link)

I hope you decide to bring your business ideas to South Carolina!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,886,231 times
Ready,
I reviewed your menu and I think you would do quite well not only in Charleston, but really anywhere.
Charleston has the population and money for your business, and if you open a restraunt,
I would like to visit you.
Your menu sounds delicious!
Yes, check out Charleston and let me know if you do come down.
I'm drooling here LOL!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,088,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
There's a lot of buzz around the state among people who pay attention to stuff like this about more and more national observers seeing Charleston as overtaking New Orleans as the "Culinary Capital of the South" (what a debate that will start!)
By chance, do you have any links to support this claim? I'd love to read up on that!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,088,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
You may recognize me from previous threads trying to find someplace to call home... The SC area (hilton head, charleston, james island) is looking more interesting to me after additional targeted research. I am still not 100% done researching so please do not trash my post or become condescending if my questions don't make sense (bad experience in other forums). Simply look over the post and don't bother with a reply.

I would like to know if anyone knows what the market/demand may be like in Charleston or Hilton Head for a personal chef w/ a niche area - For example, southern food w/ flair and/or vegan/vegetarian offerings. A quick search online only revealed 2 personal chefs, only 1 of which I may be in direct competition with. And I didn't really see anything like that on their menus. Is it because that's just not what the locals or people that stay in the beach houses short term like? Or have they just not tapped into that market yet? I also didn't find too many vegan/vegetarian restaurants online for the area.

For example, here in Michigan, there are several pockets of cities that are stuck on vegan/raw/vegetarian - Is there a veg community here that you know of? To get an idea of what I would like to offer in SC - go to dinnerbyprimadonna dot com and click on menus/faqs -> veg menus...just wondering the likely hood of success with those menus.

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
Honestly, if you're seeking to be a personal chef in this niche area, and if you possess a resume of high end clients, I'd be in California! That kind of lifestyle seems way more en vogue out that way!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

899 posts, read 2,279,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
By chance, do you have any links to support this claim? I'd love to read up on that!
There have been several programs on SCETV (like their "Big Picture" and "Take on the South" series) that talk about the rise of Southern cuisine focused on Charleston, like the two links I posted above. I think one or both of those reference the whole NOLA vs. Charleston restaurant debate. I've read some interesting articles in magazines like Southern Living and Garden & Gun on how Charleston is getting a lot more notice nationally. They cite all the James Beard award winners as one reason I think. In general about Southern food--another sign of the national prominence of the cuisine would be what I've read about the proliferation of Southern foodie type restaurants in places like NYC.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Honestly, if you're seeking to be a personal chef in this niche area, and if you possess a resume of high end clients, I'd be in California! That kind of lifestyle seems way more en vogue out that way!
My only concern is that I don't believe my food is 'fancy' enough to compete in that market in CA...On the other hand, I would like play around w/ my home style/ southern menus to add some flair to them for this market.
And I really would prefer to stay in the south anyway....been in the North much too long and would love to be able to draw some culinary inspiration from the south...more specifically SC.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Ready,
I reviewed your menu and I think you would do quite well not only in Charleston, but really anywhere.
Charleston has the population and money for your business, and if you open a restraunt,
I would like to visit you.
Your menu sounds delicious!
Yes, check out Charleston and let me know if you do come down.
I'm drooling here LOL!
Thank you so much for the 'review' I appreciate that - just what I needed to know!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM

[quote=innovator82;17339635]I think there would definitely be that sort of niche market for your interests in the Charleston area and other parts ofthe coast, especially if you blend your vegetarian focus with the whole "nouveau" Southern cuisine trend that emphasizes fresh, local ingredients. There's a lot of buzz around the state among people who pay attention to stuff like this about more and more national observers seeing Charleston as overtaking New Orleans as the "Culinary Capital of the South" (what a debate that will start!) But there does seem to be a whole "Southern foodie" movement happening in Charleston but also places like Greenville, SC--where "lowcountry cuisine" is exceedingly fashionable and new restaurants seem to be popping up that emphasize fresh, locally grown ingredients. So I guess I am saying that I think your niche could surely fit in to the food tastes of South Carolina.

ETV (South Carolina's PBS station) has done a couple of programs discussing new trends in Southern food/Charleston cuisine that I found pretty interesting. You can actually watch them online:
What is Real Southern Cooking?
Southern Cooking (http://www.scetv.org/index.php/the_big_picture/show/southern_cooking2/ - broken link)

Thank you - I appreciate it... I am def going to take a look at those videos....this really helps me as far as getting a feel for the locals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina