Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,325,994 times

Advertisements

We had the opportunity to go to SC last Sept. and love it there. We stayed in the Myrtle BEach area. We've heard and read a lot of good things about the Aiken area. In two years my hubby will be semi-retiring and we'd like any info that we could have about the area. Are there any jobs there? I would be looking for something like working in a convenience store or desk clerk at a motel. I will still have to work fulltime because we need insurance. Also, can anyone tell me what the mobile home parks are like? Are they nice and does anyone have any idea what lot rent is in Aiken? Also, could you tell me a bit about the weather there? Are there leaves on the trees year round? Are there palm trees in Aiken? We are planning on going there for our next vacation. Thank you and any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 11,883 times
Hi Jammie~I cant really answer any of your questions about Aiken but I did live there a few years ago and I can tell you that I loved it, but please stay away from the Jackson area. Unless things have changed it is a dirty seedy little town , kind if things you see on tv with the small southern towns.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:16 PM

Hey Ron, thank you for the heads up.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 42,287 times
I don't know all that much about Aiken but I moved to a little town about 50 miles north west of there on the Thurmond Lake. The west coast of South Carolina is made up of the Savannah River and north of Augusta Georgia there are a series of Lakes. As you go North of Augusta you encounter small towns such as Modoc, Parksville, and Plum Branch. These are small towns on the water but not far from the larger towns of Augusta, Edgefield, and McCormick. There is still a good bit of rural land at moderate prices. It's wonderful for retirement, but the public schools systems are still lagging behind so I would not recommend it for people with school age children. I love it here.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 AM

Maggie, I'm glad you found the perfect spot for yourself. Did you move there from another state or were you from SC?

Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 42,287 times
Smile Finding McCormick County

Jammie,

I was born and raised in Ohio but moved away from there when I was about 27. I lived in Florida in the 70's but moved from there to Mississippi where I lived until 2004. During my years in Mississippi I was married for many years to an older man who had a Motor home and we traveled in 49 of the 50 states. As long as he was alive we remained in Mississippi because that is where his doctors were and where my work was. But I always kept my eyes open looking for a location that I thought I would enjoy retiring to when my time came. I had really thought I would settle in a small town along the I-77 corridor somewhere between Charlotte and Columbia so that I could have access to major cities and it would be easy to zip onto 77 to get back to Ohio where all my relatives live. However along the way I discovered South Carolina's "West Coast" which I think is going to be the retirement mecca for active babyboomers. I was born in '46. Quite unexpectedly I found myself considering marriage in 2003 and my intended was an avid fisherman and hunter. That changed my thinking a little bit and we found a sportman's paradise in McCormick County. Sorry for the long answer but that's how I got here.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 AM

Hey Maggie, you are the same age as my husband. He just had a birthday last month. I'm considerably younger then that though. I'm so glad to know that you also chose SC for your home. We have two more years before we'll be able to do that, but we strongly believe our move will be to SC, just not quite sure what area yet.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
Hi Jammie,
I have lived in Aiken for the last 15 years and yes, it is nice. We do get a lot of Master's traffic though but luckily it is only once a year. Most of the convenience stores in the area are hiring. The question about lot rental I do not know...we have our own land. Look for ones that appear to be well maintained and you shouldn't have any problems. Here are a few to get you started with the answers.....

Cameron Park
104 Sandcroft Court, Aiken, SC 29801
(803) 649-5606

Country Squire Mobile Home Park
112 Village Drive, Aiken, SC 29803
(803) 648-2480

Silver Bluff Mobile Home Court
127 Glass Place, Aiken, SC 29803
(803) 648-8603

Happy hunting.....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:19 AM

Thank you for the info. I'll check it out. It looks like it's so nice there, but we're still checking places out that we want to visit when we vacation there. We just want a nice, peaceful, clean pretty town to live in and as far as friendly people, we haven't been to a town there where they weren't hospitable.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
Default Living In Country Squire

Hi All!

I Am New To This Site As Well As A New Resident Of Aiken. I Am Currently Living In Country Squire So I Think I Can Be Of Help To You Jammie. Even Though I Have Only Been Here About Two Weeks I Can Defiently See Why There Are So Many Good Things Said About It. I Grew Up In South Florida And The Change Here Is Extreme But All For The Good. No Hurricanes And Real Estate Is Considerably Cheap. Aiken Would Be A Great Place To Retire A Nice Quiet, Friendly Area. I Friend Of Mine Actually Helped Me Get A Lot In Country Squire And She Has Lived Here For 2 Yrs, She Loves It. I Do Not Rent A Lot But I Heard That It Is Really Cheap, Cheaper Than What I Am Paying. I Actually Rent A 3 Bedroom/2 Bath Mobile Home For $550.00 Including Electric And Water. I Used To Rent A 2 Bedroom/2 Bath Crappiest Apartment In Orlando Filled With Mold For $749.00!!! So Affordable, I Love It!! I Heard To Rent A Lot Is Between $200-$250 But I Am Not Positive About That. Everyone In This Park Is Really Friendly No Loud Music Or Noise, And Very Clean. Best Part Is That It Is Located Close To Everything Schools, Restaurants, Downtown Etc. I Do Not Remember Seeing Palm Trees But It Is Beauitful. It Has Beauitful Tall Trees With Pink And Red Flowers. It Has A Lot Of Older Buildings That Has Been Restored As A Library And Another One As A Museum. It Is A Cute Small Town And If You Ever Get Sick Of That It Is Only About 20 Minutes To Augusta, Ga. Which Has Everything That You Might Be Missing. As For The Traffic I Haven't Experience That Yet But I Doubt It Will Be Anything That I Was Used To Orlando. One Time I Waited Two Hours In Drive Thru At Wendys!!! Talk About Traffic That Was Insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina