Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 12,515 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple (23 & 24 years old) thinking of moving south. We are from Northwest Indiana, about an hour outside of Chicago which is where we spend many of our weekends. We'd like to move to a beach town, but we're afraid of that we will run into the problem of too many retirees and/or just being bored! My husband travels for his job so we can pretty much go anywhere. We don't plan on having children any time soon, but I would like the feeling of being safe while he's away.
We have also thought about heading to Florida, but are again worried about retirees and the high-end communities being too expensive and the middle-class communities being too unsafe.
We have a great opportunity to go anywhere we want, but need help making the decision! We would really appreciate any suggestions

Last edited by Kweste; 01-30-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,086,170 times
Why are you afraid of retirees? They don't bite, and if they tried, their teeth would fall out.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 12,515 times
Hahaha, I'm not afraid of them! I just would like to be in an area with more people around our age so it might be easier to make friends. Perhaps, because we know very few people from Florida and the Midwest perception of the Florida area is that is where all our grandparents go when they retire.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM

899 posts, read 2,277,588 times
The two main areas that I would suggest you start your relocation search would be Charleston and Myrtle Beach - these are the two main metros located along the coast. Myrtle Beach is a major tourist destination and has that kind of flavor to it, but like anywhere there is a permanent population as well. I've had lots of 20-something friends and acquaintences over the years who live in the Myrtle Beach area and love that type of environment. Charleston definitely has a young flavor within it with both a nice young professional scene downtown and young families living in and around in the suburbs. Both cities had pretty active young professional type groups and networks I believe. Where you choose to live in both areas might depend on what you are wanting to spend - but if you are looking for an apartment to start out then you'll find decent options. In general the cost of living including housing prices are slightly higher along the coast.

If you are willing to look at other areas that attract/retain young people that are a little farther from the beach, then also consider Greenville and Columbia, both of which you would enjoy as a young couple. I live in the Greenville area and I can tell you that there are lots of young couples and young professionals living in this area, not to mention plenty of transplants from the Northeast and Midwest. The Greenville downtown area, the shopping and dining, and the cleanliness of the suburbs are major draws as well. Greenville is roughly 3.5 hours from the Charleston beaches and 4.5 hours from Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,412,321 times
I second Charleston area (check out Mount Pleasant too)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM

192 posts, read 491,819 times
Personally I like the Beaufort area, but for a young couple I would suggest checking out Savannah, GA

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 AM

540 posts, read 1,673,904 times
Wouldn't suggest Myrtle Beach. You are far too young, may want kids some day, and I'm assuming you want to work. Schooling is poor here (future offspring?) and employment is definitely hard to come by unless you are in the hospitality field and/or don't mind low paying jobs.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM

173 posts, read 677,982 times
I would probably suggest Charleston for long term over Myrtle Beach. The latter's industry is mainly on tourism and it would be hard to find a good job there outside of season. It is pretty nice though but not near as nice and fun as it used to be, as it got pretty gritty and they cut out a few of the fun places and activities that used to take place. Charleston is nice too but in a "quaint" way compared to Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina