Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM

275 posts, read 793,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

I know plenty of people living right here in NYC who have relatives in southern states and have their car registration/insurance at their relatives address. They drive around NYC with out of state license plates on their car.....why? Because the cost of insurance on a car registered in NYC is outrageous....it happens everyday! Friend of my mom....lives in Brooklyn, both her and her husband have SC license plates on their cars and are using her mothers address in SC.
Would it ever be possible for the insurance company in SC to find out that you are NOT living in SC but in NYC and then end up in an accident in NYC? Wouldn't that be obtaining insurance under fraudulent pretenses and wouldn't the insurance company not cover your accident in NYC. Just wondering as I often wonder what happens to the people down here who live full time here but for some reason keep their license plates from up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
What I don't understand on this registering a car in SC thing - why not register it in a state that doesn't require personal property tax? Let's say, Florida for example. Costs a lot less to register a car there.

One of my co-workers keeps her cars registered in Florida, even though she moved to SC 4 years ago. If the state ever catches her, I think that she may find the punishment not to have been worth the relatively small amount of PPT that she avoided. I really think that states will be cracking down on this as a way to help with the budget crunch - after all, if you live in a state and get the 'benefits' that state provides (like cops, roads, etc.), you should be paying the proper cost of living in that state. If you disagree, move to a different state, don't try to avoid the rightful costs.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Would it ever be possible for the insurance company in SC to find out that you are NOT living in SC but in NYC and then end up in an accident in NYC? Wouldn't that be obtaining insurance under fraudulent pretenses and wouldn't the insurance company not cover your accident in NYC. Just wondering as I often wonder what happens to the people down here who live full time here but for some reason keep their license plates from up north.
I have a car sitting in the garage of my house in SC.......but I live in NYC everyday.......there is absolutely no need for a car here in NYC but those that have them do so because they want to.....when I come to SC several times a year I use the car. Regarding if there is an accident here in NYC on a car registered in SC.....people have relatives in other states and go on vacation.....person could have been visiting another state when the accident happened.....they cannot deny insurance coverage for that. A guy I grew up with in Brooklyn begin getting cars when we were teenagers....he always registered them at his familys house in Georgia.....we are now years later and his cars are still registered/insured to Georgia!

My moms friend who lives here in Brooklyn and both her and her husband have cars registered in SC to her moms house.....she has been in 2 accidents here in NYC....the first accident my mom was in the car with her when someone speeding hit them (thus the reason car insurance here is so expensive)......long story short the person who hit them had his wallet hit when his insurance had to pay her and my mom....did not matter that her car has SC plates. BTW this same lady (crazy driver!) was in another accident here in NYC my mom told me....this time her fault, same scenerio.....her insurance paid for the accident.

The other thing that some must understand many of these things depend on what state your in.....NYC was built on corruption and kick backs.....everything is about money here....as long as there is some money involved people will look the other way!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
What I don't understand on this registering a car in SC thing - why not register it in a state that doesn't require personal property tax? Let's say, Florida for example. Costs a lot less to register a car there.

One of my co-workers keeps her cars registered in Florida, even though she moved to SC 4 years ago. If the state ever catches her, I think that she may find the punishment not to have been worth the relatively small amount of PPT that she avoided. I really think that states will be cracking down on this as a way to help with the budget crunch - after all, if you live in a state and get the 'benefits' that state provides (like cops, roads, etc.), you should be paying the proper cost of living in that state. If you disagree, move to a different state, don't try to avoid the rightful costs.
I guess that's just fine, as long as one doesn't want any money going to their county. If you are going to live in SC and take advantage of whatever services your county offers you (schools, sidewalks, etc) then you should pay for what you get where you live...anything other than that is theft to me. My next door neighbor (a renter so pays no resident tax) has a car plated for California, for 5 years.
She lives in SC, she works in NC...know what that tells me? She's never paid a dime in taxes to help support the schools her two kids have gone to. I think that's pretty dang lousy. My part of SC is cracking down, because we have so many people who move here from Charlotte NC and never switch over...though NC has vehicle tax anyway.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
reed067....Believe me Greenville's economy isn't much better than the rest of SC....I know because I lived there for years, just left over a year ago and returned home to NYC. I moved there from NYC because of a job transfer and at first everything seemed cheaper....until I found out that while you will save on some things....they make up for it by charging vehicle tax and if you have a new car look out, $400 just for a sticker to put on a license plate!

SC has the strangest economy I have ever experienced.
Did you pay city tax in NY? Many places have a city tax, especially in the North because of having to pay for snow removal. So I don't pay city tax anymore, doesn't bother me to pay tax on my vehicle once a year, and depending on what you drive, it's nowhere near 400.00 for me. I have a 2008 vehicle, it's 200.00. I'd rather pay that 200.00 a year on my vehicle, than 800.00 a year in city tax. So no complaints from me.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Did you pay city tax in NY? Many places have a city tax, especially in the North because of having to pay for snow removal. So I don't pay city tax anymore, doesn't bother me to pay tax on my vehicle once a year, and depending on what you drive, it's nowhere near 400.00 for me. I have a 2008 vehicle, it's 200.00. I'd rather pay that 200.00 a year on my vehicle, than 800.00 a year in city tax. So no complaints from me.
I am no fan of taxes no matter where I live....they are just a way for the government to keep their hands in all of our pockets. Anybody who draws a paycheck in NYC pays a city tax....although not certain that it is $800.

Personally NYC is more deserving to charge a city tax because of the kind of amenities that are provided....plenty of mass transit (buses & trains) 24 hours a day.....while SC charges vehicle tax just to make money....no mass transit and people are car dependant. As far as I am concerned paying $400 for the new car that I had when I lived in SC was ridiculous. If they are going to charge a vehicle tax then have a flat tax....don't base the tax rate on the age of the car....otherwise you are penalizing people just for being able to afford a new car. The other issue is that if you are going to charge that kind of tax put it to good use and fix ragedy roads.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 AM

144 posts, read 295,992 times
I am still amazed at NY Borns tenacity and all consuming full time job he/she has made to hate Greenville. Its pretty entertaining. I am sure former residents of Hell itself would not spend this much time hating on one place.

South Carolina, other than some select areas is a pretty huge mess of a state. Having traveled and done work in most of the states metros I would have to say that Greenville and Charleston are the only two towns I would consider living in.

I have only spent some limited time in Aiken but it does not have quite enough going on for me.

Buford, Bluffton and Hilton Head are all nice places to hang out for a while but none of them would be for me.

Rock Hill has some potential but it still has a long way to go in trying to crawl out from the big cities shadow.

Columbia is the city that I have really yet to figure out. I have just had too many bad experiences in Columbia. I know some people that love it there but me and that city just do not get along.

I think for a total quality of life Greenville and Charleston are on par with any other city of the same or slightly bigger demographic. In fact I will go so far as to say that Greenville and Charleston would have to be in a list of the top five cities in the South East in my book.

I would have to rank the top five Southern Cities like this in no particular order. (Florida does not count as South East)

1. Greenville. (Just my home so its first on the list)
2. Nashville (short list of places I would leave Greenville for if I had to.)
3. Charleston (Totally unique city that has a great diverse economy)
4. Raleigh (Hitting some growing pains but a huge success story over the last 25 years)
5. Charlotte, Chattanooga, Ashville, Huntsville, (okay I needed a bigger list)

I got off topic a bit there but if you are looking at south carolina and want something more than a very rural experience in economies that have some real promise then I think you have to choose between Greenville and Charleston. Both towns have their issues and they might not be for everyone but if you speak with anyone that does not have a strange obsession with hating a certain place that has lived or spent significant time in either city most of them will say that both of them have something special going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina