Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 PM

14 posts, read 50,946 times

Advertisements

HI
My family and I currently live on Long Island in NY. We are considering making a move down to South Carolina and I was hoping to get some insight. If these questions have been asked to death I apologise
We are looking around the Myrtle Beach area. I've read that Myrtle Beach has a fairly high crime rate, and I know it's pretty touristy and there's spring break and bike week to deal with but I also like the idea of there being lots to do etc.
A little about us. Like I said we are from NY, born and raised. Looking for the warmer weather and more laid back life style. We are in our mid/late 30's with 2 kids (9 & 11). My husband currently works as a welder/fabricator, however his best friends and thier family are planning to move down also and the two of them together are planning on doing HVAC work (his friend currently has a small HVAC company up here that and my husband has worked in that field on the side for a few years) I work for Bank of America and am hoping to be able to transfer to a branch down there. Don't worry, we all plan on being sure to be set up with employment before making a move, be it SC or any place else
What are some areas you would recommend near Myrtle Beach in regard to being safe, affordable family neighborhoods with good schools?
What would you say the average costs are for billls such as gas, electric, cable, internet, phone, car insurance and anything else you can think of?
I thought I had more questions than that..but that's all I can think of for now. We are in the early stages of this, just begining research, so I'm sure more I'll think of more questions as time goes on. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,151 times
Dear OP,
The cost of living doesn't matter as much as JOBS.
If you and your hubby and friends and get jobs, that is great!
Visit the area when you get a chance and see everything for yourself.
THen you can make a more informed decision as to wether you would like to move or not.
Good Luck!
If you have questions after you have visited, come back to boards!

Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM

14 posts, read 50,946 times
Thanks,
we are trying to plan a trip down next month to check out a few areas and do some research. I do agree that having jobs lined up is the number one priority...I never understand when people will move to another state without having a job waiting for them...I have a family to worry about, can't afford to take those kinds of risks...And I also agree that hands on research is essential. I want to be as sure as I can that if we make this move that we will be happy with the decision.
However, cost of living is important when determining how much we will need to be making salary wise in order to comfortable live. Coming from NY I know we will be taking pay cuts since we are not lucky enough to be those people who get to move down south and take our NY salaries with us.
Thanks again for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina