Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is making its mark in hydrogen fuel cell research. Flour's donation signals that they don't think this research is just pie in the sky. The mission is to bring well-paying jobs to the state by bringing hydrogen to fruition.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

By the way, USC has requested funding for a new school of aviation research. The funding is expected to be granted. Would it be cool if the first planes to fly on hydrogen were born out of SC-based research and development or what? I'm so glad everyone laughed at the Wright brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,564,574 times
I sure hope this actually brings some jobs to Innovista. Well, I guess these two chair positions count...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,642,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I sure hope this actually brings some jobs to Innovista. Well, I guess these two chair positions count...
And hopefully without wasting $100 million doing it.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
Innovista is doing fine. USC is emerging as a research power house. And wouldn't you know: not one word can be posted about anything positive or forward-thinking about anything that has to do with anything going on in the Midlands without getting bombarded with negative comments by the "chess players" from the Upstate. This is no fun anymore.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Innovista is doing fine. USC is emerging as a research power house. And wouldn't you know: not one word can be posted about anything positive or forward-thinking about anything that has to do with anything going on in the Midlands without getting bombarded with negative comments by the "chess players" from the Upstate. This is no fun anymore.
If this is solely about the midlands, then post it there. But this is in the state forum, and it's ALL of our tax dollars "at work". It's great to see some donations happening, but in the end it's only two endowed chairs. Maybe I should create a thread in the SC section about CU-ICAR's new bus route with Greenlink's service...?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,584,723 times
Quote:
If this is solely about the midlands, then post it there. But this is in the state forum, and it's ALL of our tax dollars "at work". It's great to see some donations happening, but in the end it's only two endowed chairs. Maybe I should create a thread in the SC section about CU-ICAR's new bus route with Greenlink's service...?
I'll take announcements of two endowed chairs anytime they come along, not sure why you are trying to make it sound insignificant. I also like the fact that the Fluor CEO is a Carolina grad, that could lead to additional partnerships. Announcements like this combined with recent contributions regarding the pharmacy school are reasons why Carolina continues to lead in raising research funds for the school which helps ALL of SC.

If you want to create a thread about a bus service to ICAR, go for it.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
If you want to create a thread about a bus service to ICAR, go for it.
I'd do that in the Greenville section if I felt it were necessary.

Two endowed chairs is great, like I said. However, this is arguably NOT taking Carolina OR Innovista to the next level.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I'd do that in the Greenville section if I felt it were necessary.

Two endowed chairs is great, like I said. However, this is arguably NOT taking Carolina OR Innovista to the next level.
ICAR has state money so, it could be here, whatever works.

I agree, two chairs is not a taking Carolina or Innovista to the next level by itself. But, with this donation, it ties Carolina with a large company (headed by a Carolina Grad), that can lead to future events. And, this is a step forward, a corporation thought enough of the research to contribute cash.

Research money, whether at Clemson or Carolina, is dependent on large and small donations. While the $30m received late last year for the USC pharmacy school was great, you can not make a living looking for only those donations, large and small donations are important. It should be viewed positively for all of SC, whether you like Carolina or Clemson, that both schools are getting more into the research game.

It took years for RTP to develop into what it is today with Chapel Hill, Duke and NC State next door. Innovista will take years to develop as it is creating something that is new to SC. Evaluating the success or failure of the project this soon is shortsighted. You are no fan of Columbia or USC but, wherever you live in SC, you should want this to be a success, it is a project that could help all areas of the state.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Evaluating the success or failure of the project this soon is shortsighted. You are no fan of Columbia or USC but, wherever you live in SC, you should want this to be a success, it is a project that could help all areas of the state.
No one is evaluating their overall success or failure. But we can acknowledge that Innovista has been and still is struggling. Not failed. It's natural for a Carolina grad and Columbia booster to come to Innovista's defense, but telling ourselves that Innovista is taking a "big step forward" with two endowed chairs seems like you're setting your benchmarks too low. If that's the case, then completion of buildings that now sit mostly empty were a HUGE win for the campus/concept. Seems ridiculous doesn't it?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No one is evaluating their overall success or failure. But we can acknowledge that Innovista has been and still is struggling. Not failed. It's natural for a Carolina grad and Columbia booster to come to Innovista's defense, but telling ourselves that Innovista is taking a "big step forward" with two endowed chairs seems like you're setting your benchmarks too low. If that's the case, then completion of buildings that now sit mostly empty were a HUGE win for the campus/concept. Seems ridiculous doesn't it?
First, my undergrad degree, which is what most people identify with, is not from Carolina. And, noone is coming to Innovista's defense, I agreed that the two chairs are not pushing the development to another level. But, I also agree that it is not a step back, Carolina does lead the state in research grants and fund raising, the benchmarks are not set low. It is just part of the process of developing a business research park with the intent of creating new types of jobs for a state.

I don't see myself as a booster of any region or look to see who has HUGE wins (based on population growth, visibility and quality of life, Charlotte WINS in the Carolinas followed closely by Raleigh). I do like Columbia but, I think it is more interesting that you and other Greenville residents seem intent on bashing anything related to Columbia or Carolina, factual or not. Why do you want Columbia, Carolina and Innovista to fail, that is what seems ridiculous. SC is not a large enough state to succeed if only one region "wins" as you like to say.

Innovista is a great concept that will take time to build out, it is progressing, it is the nature of creating a new type of industry in SC. Not to let facts get in the way but, the first two buildings are occupied and the new $100m Moore School of Business will also contribute to Innovista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina