Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Your off-base, biased, hate-filled opinion of my city has no place in this thread. I would never even think about saying something like that on here against any city, period. If Fluor Field is neutral, then Capital City Stadium would be neutral. There are gobs of Clemson fans living in Columbia. Why do two of the three games have to be played in the Upstate every year? That in itself isn't neutral. And the name "Reedy River Rivalry" certainly doesn't represent the rivalry at all.
Hey, if you guys in Columbia want a USC vs. Clemson game at Capital City Stadium then make it happen. Nobody is stopping you. Oh and why not name it the "Reedy River Rivalry" if it sells your city to the general public? Seems like a smart idea to me. Columbia would probably name the game something that involves their city too if it was held there.

Last edited by g-man430; 03-07-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
So I guess you're saying go to four games and name one the Congaree Clash or just concede to driving to the Upstate twice to accommodate the tigs.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Some people just won't like Greenville regardless of the opportunities.

The same argument could easily be made regarding the high school championship games, which are annually played in Columbia.

FYI, the Midlands TV market has been secured for tomorrow's game, but only on the 10.2 sub-channel at WIS.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
If you'd go to the game and leave the arm pit of the south sometime, I think you'd be surprised by the number of rabid, vocal chicken fans that live in this part of SC. But, maybe you're just wanting some reason to feel like the underdog.
Wow..."armpit of the south", a little emotional Gville?

Having the game at Fluor is no big deal, it gives people in Greenville, Spartanburg, Union & other upstate counties a better chance to see Carolina. Would not hurt to have a third game in Charleston sometime.

As for the HS title games mentioned, they should stay in Columbia. There is not a good reason to ask HS kids and families to travel 4+ hours to Clemson for a game.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
It doesn't have to be an either/or about the cities! I love Greenville, Columbia and Charleston! All for different reasons, they are great fun to visit with activities and restaurants. It would be great to have the game alternate just like the football game.

But, I still love my Gamecocks!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
I can't believe the emotion coming from the "armpit" comment! This is hilarious! This is not a serious thread. Take a dig about weather of all things, and get some tears. For the record, the only people I ever hear actually use the nickname of armpit, are those who live, have lived, or have family in Columbia/the Midlands.

I'll rephrase: "if you'd leave Columbia and go to the game tomorrow, you'll understand the number of Carolina fans at the game is going to be huge."

Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Amazing that a city-data.com senior member cuts down other cities (Or is it just one city?) the way you do. You would understand and see that the number of Clemson fans attending the one game in the Midlands is huge, too. I'm saying that Greenville is in Clemson country and that every year from now on, I guess, the rivalry will have two of the three games in Clemson country and one in Gamecock country. That should build up the ice water in Carolina's veins. Maybe it'll turn out to be a good thing.

The high school comment doesn't fit into this conversation at all. Who knows who's going to make it to the state finals? The venue can't be reserved at the last minute if all the teams that go to the finals are from any certain part of the state. And the high school teams don't have Clemson (Upstate) and Carolina (Columbia) on their minds.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The high school comment doesn't fit into this conversation at all. Who knows who's going to make it to the state finals? The venue can't be reserved at the last minute if all the teams that go to the finals are from any certain part of the state. And the high school teams don't have Clemson (Upstate) and Carolina (Columbia) on their minds.
I only used the high school games as an example because you seem to be suggesting (unless I am mistaken) that Clemson somehow enjoys an unfair advantage over South Carolina by playing the third rivalry game in Greenville. The only reasons I can imagine this is true are;
  1. The Upstate region is home to more Clemson fans overall.
    • This would be an obvious advantage in any other sport (including high school football), BUT baseball games seem less affected by fan support (or lack thereof), and there are more than enough fans of both teams living in the Upstate to fill the stands in Greenville equally.
  2. A shorter drive to Greenville from Clemson than from Columbia
    • IF driving distance is a factor, then my comment regarding high school teams is relevant, because clearly teams in the Midlands could enjoy an unfair advantage, regardless of the neutral venue. Yes, I completely understand the logistical reasons for playing the games in the Midlands versus another location in the state, especially in this economy.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Clemson fans can easily access baseball games in Clemson. If anything, the game being in Greenville offers gamecock fans in the upstate an advantage of seeing their team without the commitment of a drive to the capital city. It's a fact that some of the largest crowds at Fluor Field have been when Carolina was playing there. Clearly it's not a disadvantage for the team. It might be for those Carolina supporters who only want to watch their team play at home.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM

The teams are here and warming up!

GreenvilleDrive's photos - The #Tigers are in the house #ReedyRiverRivalry | Plixi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina