U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM

7,356 posts, read 5,961,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I only used the high school games as an example because you seem to be suggesting (unless I am mistaken) that Clemson somehow enjoys an unfair advantage over South Carolina by playing the third rivalry game in Greenville. The only reasons I can imagine this is true are;
  1. The Upstate region is home to more Clemson fans overall.
    • This would be an obvious advantage in any other sport (including high school football), BUT baseball games seem less affected by fan support (or lack thereof), and there are more than enough fans of both teams living in the Upstate to fill the stands in Greenville equally.
  2. A shorter drive to Greenville from Clemson than from Columbia
    • IF driving distance is a factor, then my comment regarding high school teams is relevant, because clearly teams in the Midlands could enjoy an unfair advantage, regardless of the neutral venue. Yes, I completely understand the logistical reasons for playing the games in the Midlands versus another location in the state, especially in this economy.
No one wants to drive any further than they have to. My point is that it is not fair that Carolina will have to travel that far for two out of three games every year while Clemson will have to only once. We know where each school is located, whereas we don't know in advance the locations of the schools that will make it to the state finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Close call.

er er-er er-er

Or should I say whew, hew, whew-hew-hew-hew

Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,702,503 times
Whew, is right! But . . . the final score is all that matters!! Two games out of the three!!!

Yeah, Gamecocks!!! (But, good game, Tigers)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 PM

8,932 posts, read 13,521,821 times
Tuesday's attendance of 7,125 was the 2nd largest crowd EVER at Fluor Field. Four fans shy of the largest crowd of 7,129 (May 31, 2009 - Drive vs. RiverDogs; John Smoltz rehab start for Greenville). Last year's Reedy River Rivalry drew 7,104 fans.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Tuesday's attendance of 7,125 was the 2nd largest crowd EVER at Fluor Field. Four fans shy of the largest crowd of 7,129 (May 31, 2009 - Drive vs. RiverDogs; John Smoltz rehab start for Greenville). Last year's Reedy River Rivalry drew 7,104 fans.
Sounds like a great crowd. Combined with the attendance of 8,242 at Carolina stadium and 6,320 at Clemson, that is a total of 21,687 for the series, not bad. And, great outcome on the field as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,702,503 times
That is a great turnout -- wish I could have been there! SC is lucky to have two of the best college baseball teams in the country. Great opportunity for kids to experience good, clean fun. Both teams represent their schools very well -- on and off the field!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Captial City Stadium seats 6,000, only 320 fewer than attended the game at Clemson, and would be a second neutral site if they go to four games as has been discussed.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM

1,124 posts, read 2,067,184 times
I don't see Greenville as being a defacto Clemson home game. Its 45 minutes away and the diference between Clemson and Greenville is as pronounced as any two towns in the state.

If anything I think it is more of about Greenville flexing its muscles & by putting up those attendence numbers it did. I actually think it would be a good idea to have the third or even an added fourth game at rotating sites around the state since these are the states two largest public universities.

Myrtle Beach has a good stadium adjacent to Broadway at the beach, you could send them to Joe Riley Stadium in Charleston. Are their available facilities in Rock Hill, Beaufort or Greenwood? I actually think it would make for a nice tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina