Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 AM

41 posts, read 201,171 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I live in Summerville. Over the years we have taken short weekend getaways here and there. We usually go to Savannah over Memorial Day Weekend, but money is tight. We like Bed and Breakfasts, and in Savannah just the room alone for 2 nights can be $350+. Occasionally we will pick an out-of-the-way place in a rural area because the B&B's are not expensive. That's what we'd like to do again, but can't think of where. We have been to Landrum (outside Greenville), Ehrhardt (outside Walterboro), and Dillsboro (near the NC border) and probably some others. I thought about Sumter, but realized it's close to the AFB, and thought it may be noisy on Fri and Sat nights. We would like someplace kind of rural, but with access to antiques stores and such. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Have you tried Aiken?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we have thought of Aiken- the B&B's are pretty high there, so it must be a popular place. Have only been through it on our way somewhere else.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 PM

192 posts, read 493,922 times
Default Travel thoughts

If you're not set on a B&B, check out Fripp Island, just outside Beaufort. You can rent anything from studios to multi bedroom mansions. Look on VRBO or Fripp Island resort for rentals. On Fripp you are right on the ocean, if you rent someplace make sure they have guest cards available so you can take advantage of pools, golf, tennis, and restaurants. Fripp is also a little over an hour drive to Savannah.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
Judging by the other places you've enjoyed visiting, it sounds like you might like Elloree which is in-between St. Matthews and Santee.

Welcome to Elloree, South Carolina
Elloree Bed And Breakfast - Welcome
Home - Elloree Business Association

It's one of those "best kept secret" kind of places that has done a lot to make itself into an attractive small town getaway. It is somewhat similar to Landrum.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Innovator82-

Thank you- we live only about 1/2 hour away from Elloree, and have gone there during their annual festival- they have alot of antiques stores there. I will consider it- we enjoy it there.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Hi Fripper,

I will check into Fripp. Coincidentally, I was watching Forrest Gump last week, and on the credits they mentioned Fripp Island as being one of the places filmed!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

192 posts, read 493,922 times
Karen,
The Vietnam scenes were shot on Fripp. At the time of the filming they were building the Ocean Creek Golf Course, and had the Marine Corp jet fighters from Beaufort come in to "napalm bomb" the island. The story goes because it was a one take scene the director, asked the fire crew to wait until he called "cut" before they could come put out the fires. Well the director and crew were so engrossed in the scene they forgot to yell cut, the fire was reaching the top of the tall pines before they realized they forgot to call in the fire crew. It took several hours for the fire department to put out the flames. Several other scenes were shot in the Beaufort area, including the shrimping scenes in Port Royal. When Bubba was listing off shrimp dishes, shrimp burger was added because the crew and Tom Hanks enjoyed them at the Shrimp Shack, located about 5 miles off the island.
Disney's "Jungle Book" was also filmed on Fripp along with beach scenes from "Prince of Tides"
Hope you can come visit.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

191 posts, read 502,914 times
What about rural NC? Why on earth would you vacation in SUMTER?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 AM

I've never been to Sumter- I guess it's obvious:-) We didn't go there. What places in NC do you like? We went to a little town called Tryon right near the SC/NC border. It was nice. Saluda and Tryon remind me of CA or OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina