Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times

Advertisements

Can you believe it? A South Carolina Congressman shares a stage with a known racist, someone who has called for the complete extermination for a race of people that he feels are inferior. Where are the civil rights groups when you need them? Surely the press will plaster this story on the tv screens and front pages of papers from coast to coast.

Wanna bet?

Farrakhan to headline live broadcast from Wilson Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quite sad, but not shocking. Everything Clyburn does is race based. He can't see beyond race.
The sad part is that Clyburn is sharing the stage with Farrakhan, a man who called white people "blue eyed devils" and has talked about exterminating Jews.

Imagine the uproar if Jim DeMint shared the stage with a racist like David Duke or someone who had called for the etermination of black people?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM

30 posts, read 141,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Quite sad, but not shocking. Everything Clyburn does is race based. He can't see beyond race.
The sad part is that Clyburn is sharing the stage with Farrakhan, a man who called white people "blue eyed devils" and has talked about exterminating Jews.

Imagine the uproar if Jim DeMint shared the stage with a racist like David Duke or someone who had called for the etermination of black people?
I personally do not know about Clyburn, but Minister Farrakhan never called for the extermination of Jews. If you don't like him - fine, but don't lie. If you insist that he called for the extermination of Jews please prove it.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I don't think Farrakhan is racist so much as he is an opportunist. A certain segment of the population wants to hear that message- he dellivers it and pockets the loot. I will give him credit for furthering the cause of men standing up to their obligations. But I still don't see much use for the man.

Events like that- whether liberal or conservative- are all about ticket sales. So green trumps black and white. To be honest I think Clyburn does work hard for SC but a lot of his decisions not related to Congress seem as if he is either on autopilot or just letting a staffer run amok. Shades of Thurmond twenty years ago when you used to show up to every event and give the same da**ed speech.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noimidwife View Post
I personally do not know about Clyburn, but Minister Farrakhan never called for the extermination of Jews. If you don't like him - fine, but don't lie. If you insist that he called for the extermination of Jews please prove it.
Ok, let's ask the folks at the Anti-Defamation League:

Farrakhan In His Own Words

You dishonor Ministers by calling Louis one as well.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

Can you come with any credible source that doesn't have a vested interest and emotional tie to hating Minister Farrakhan. The ADL has their own set of inconsistencies and controversies. Right now, they are angry with the Nation of Islam for releasing volume two of "The Secret Relationship between Blacks and Jews" a book that ONLY quotes Jewish Scholors, Religious Leaders, Historians, etc... It details an unspoken history between Blacks and Jews. The ADL has historically misquoted Minister Farrakhan, and deceptively taken his words out of context. The other night they tried to stop Minister Farrakhan from speaking at a Town Hall Meeting by threatening the other speakers and advertisers with finanical sanctions, which is their classical approach. The ADL has labeled countless people, including Jimmy Carter and other ridiculous choices in people as Anti-Semetic. If a statement doesn't glorify Jewish history it is Anti-Semetic, whether or not it is historically accurate. Me saying this is not hating Jews, because I don't hate Jews. BUT truth is truth no matter who it is about - AND sometimes the truth hurts.

Again, Minister Farrakhan never said that about the Jews. There is not one speech that says that. There are however sound bytes and cut and pasted words that make it appear that he hates Jews. Whenever the full clip is played, or entire article is read, the real message and intent is understood.

And Minister Farrakhan IS a Minister. If he is not yours then okay, but he is a Minister to MANY. It is a shame that when a Black Leader (to many but not all Blacks) doesn't meet the approval of many Whites and Jewish people he is attacked and his credibility is questioned. Why should we have your approval before we can call someone a Leader or a Minister?

If you don't like Minister Farrakhan then don't, BUT he has never done ONE THING to you, or to White people as a whole. His work is with disenfranchised Black people. He doesn't advocate violence. He doesn't allow his followers to carry weapons. He is against drugs and alcohol... etc, etc... His message to Black people is to stand up and be responsible. What is the problem with that?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Here is a recent quote by Min. Farrakhan,

"I have never harmed one Jewish person. All I've done is tell the truth of what was involved in the slave trade," Minister Farrakhan said. "But because I have been charged of being an anti-Semite, and because that charge has stuck ... I have suffered rejection by my own people. I have never hated the Jewish people. If anything, I admire them."

Farrakhan deflects foes' charges of anti-Semitism

Read the link for the entire story. SC Senator is also mentioned in the article, as he attended the Town Hall Meeting.

That is it for me LexintonDad, as I don't want to go back and forth with you. I just wanted to add some balance to this conversation... People of ALL colors will never be able to have truthful conversations with one another, and heal from history, as long as their are groups that strive to sanction and silence the conversation -UNLESS it is in their favor. ALL of our histories include things that we may not be proud of. Let's deal with them HONESTLY.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noimidwife View Post
Here is a recent quote by Min. Farrakhan,

"I have never harmed one Jewish person.
Hitler never harmed a Jewish person either.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Hitler never harmed a Jewish person either.

^What he said.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:

Farrakhan's little Nation of Islam group is also classed as a "hate group", in the same grouping as the KKK or Black Panthers. Some interesting reading:
Nation of Islam | Southern Poverty Law Center

Clyburn should be forced to step down for appearing with a known racist and hate group leader. Imagine the outcry if Jim Demint appeared with David Duke.

Farrakhan, a black racist. David Duke, a white racist. No difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina