Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM

431 posts, read 929,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Dave View Post
I was thinking of taking them to PHX in May.....they are about $150 higher than Delta.

Same with a trip to SLC in July.

I don't know who is doing a better job destroying their brand Southwest or Walmart, both companies have completely abandoned the practices that propelled them to the top.
Delta dropped their prices once Southwest started flights. Tends to work that way. My trips have gone down a good $100 since Southwest started flying out of Charleston. What do you think would happen if they left? Delta would just leave their prices that low? Southwest has low prices, it's just about timing and how many get snatched up. Also you cant beat their last minute prices, not to mention Change fees, Bags etc.

My last trip I booked, I paid $80 each way to Texas. That's pretty darn cheap if you ask me. Years Past I couldn't touch a flight to Texas for under $300. Ive been stationed here for 3 years now and when I first came this was one of the most expensive airports I've ever flown out of. Now thanks to Southwest it's far more reasonable.

As to the last few post great news, not at all surprised passenger numbers are going way up at both Airports. Great news for SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
As to the last few post great news, not at all surprised passenger numbers are going way up at both Airports. Great news for SC
Indeed this has been great news. Both Charleston and Greenville airports have seen double digit increases since Southwest started. Midlands residents now have two new options within an easy drive, with CHS and GSP bookending the state.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Dave View Post
I was thinking of taking them to PHX in May.....they are about $150 higher than Delta.

Same with a trip to SLC in July.

I don't know who is doing a better job destroying their brand Southwest or Walmart, both companies have completely abandoned the practices that propelled them to the top.
It's important to remember, you can get on Southwest's email list for special deals & packages, and download Southwest's "Ding!" app to your computer to get time-sensitive special low fares. I've see quite a few good ones of late. There usually are restrictions, of course. But the deals are there!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Does anybody like to fly SW? Other than getting a good fare (which is great) if Delta or US Air matched their fares.. would you continue to fly them? I just cant get used to the seating practice.. Its not horrible.. but on crowded flights, atleast out of BWI.. its a little hectic.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Does anybody like to fly SW? Other than getting a good fare (which is great) if Delta or US Air matched their fares.. would you continue to fly them? I just cant get used to the seating practice.. Its not horrible.. but on crowded flights, atleast out of BWI.. its a little hectic.
In Columbia Delta has added seats and lowered their fares with the intention of being competitive with SW. It might take a while for any results to show up. It'll have to become common knowledge that eventually outweighs the knowledge that SW is in the state and is within reasonable driving distance. Delta's move might influence CAE's other carriers.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Pay for the EarlyBird special it's $10. You pretty much always get group A which means you have your pick of just about any seat. I use it and it works great. Main reason I use it, is so I get my beloved window seat.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Southwest is nice and do whatever things they have you do to get group A, its like print up your boarding pass at home, or pay $10 extra...

Either way wife got tickets, $40 one way, to Tampa for a wedding, I told here to pick up a 2nd seat since she will be with our child(who they don't require a ticket for) just for the added room.

2 tickets $160 roundtrip total to Tampa, not bad at all, and its on a fine Boeing product.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Pay for the EarlyBird special it's $10. You pretty much always get group A which means you have your pick of just about any seat. I use it and it works great. Main reason I use it, is so I get my beloved window seat.
Thanks for explaining that.. I thought about doing that but when they said that they could not guarantee Group A it made me think it was just another gimmick.. I do like the fact that you can check your first two bags for free.. That alone makes the $10 Early Bird worth the gamble.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
I did this a few weeks ago. Works out well.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
A friend of mine is flying Delta round-trip into CAE from Salt Lake City for $70 more than if he flew SWA into Charleston, rented a car to drive to Columbia (or had me pick him up down there), and rented a car to drive back to Charleston (or had me drive him back down there). His time alone is worth the $70 extra, not to mention having to pay for the car and gas. Even someone with their own car and a busy schedule should value their time that much. Just sayin'. Delta said a couple of weeks ago it was lowering its fares and adding seats at CAE to remain competitive in the SC market. I don't know whether his fare is a result of the cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina