Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,370 times

Advertisements

Charleston is becoming less Southern than most other places in SC since so many people are moving here from other parts of the country, I personally like the growth and change myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,401 times
I would recommend Hartsville, its about 20 miles NW of Florence. Has all of the basic amenities would look for in a town its size including a small college. Newberry and Greenwood would be 2 other places I would recommend.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 AM

125 posts, read 285,007 times
Towns with a southern feel:

Abbeville - as many have stated
Batesburg-Leesville - still got quite a few large southern houses
Aiken - a lot of "old money" and it's downtown is very southern
York - it's the county seat despite Rock Hill being the dominant town
Newberry - it's not like Mayberry but has a southern like downtown along with the Opera house
Union - very southern town

Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 PM

18 posts, read 23,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
There are many places in SC where a Southern lifestyle is no longer in jeopardy, but rather irretrievably lost.
I don't wish to fan any flames, but my mother told me recently that she can't understand the speech of the young people at Virginia Beach any more. It reminded me of an experience I had at the Ocean View amusement park in Norfolk when I was a kid. A young man rushed up to me and asked with considerable urgency, "Hey, kid! Where can I pull a switch?" I was standing next to the Ferris Wheel, and I thought there must be some emergency that required shutting off the electrical power. He eventually managed to make me understand that he was looking for a place where he could change into a bathing suit.

On the other hand, a few years ago I was on the phone with a nice lady at the court house in Albany, Georgia, where my wife and I were married, and it was such a pleasure to speak to her that I made a special point of telling her so.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Dave View Post
Before I left South Carolina I went to the town square in Abbevile sat next to the Magnolias and the Confederate Soldiers monument and Had a RC Cola and a Moon Pie.

Just so I could say that I did.
I loved this ! Good for you.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,798,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Paul View Post
...On the other hand, a few years ago I was on the phone with a nice lady at the court house in Albany, Georgia, where my wife and I were married, and it was such a pleasure to speak to her that I made a special point of telling her so.
Brings a smile to your face, doesn't it? We were back in Lexington NC last week for a visit and ate twice at my favorite bbq joint. The first visit was for the world's best bbq. The second was just to sit there and listen to the waitress ask "Honey, y'all need any more sweet tea?"

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM

343 posts, read 1,041,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Dave View Post
Before I left South Carolina I went to the town square in Abbevile sat next to the Magnolias and the Confederate Soldiers monument and Had a RC Cola and a Moon Pie.

Just so I could say that I did.
Love this. I may have to copy you and do the same.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 PM

18 posts, read 23,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Brings a smile to your face, doesn't it? We were back in Lexington NC last week for a visit and ate twice at my favorite bbq joint. The first visit was for the world's best bbq. The second was just to sit there and listen to the waitress ask "Honey, y'all need any more sweet tea?"
My great aunt Louise in Richmond always called me Sugar. My mother, who has family just north of Lexington, NC, used to call me Honey, but then she stopped. Either I had gotten too old or too bad.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times
Default chritsian schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
The house of pizza!!! A small family run country cookin' place would be great, but those are not hard to find down here!

And about being close to a Wal-Mart- I just did a search and there are Wal-Marts in Greenwood, Camden, and Newberry, and the one in Greenwood is a short drive to Abbeville.

Oh and about schools... I'm going to put my kids (which I do not have now, but we definatly are planning!) in a private school or Christian school. Anybody now any good ones in the following towns?

-Greenwood
-Abbeville
-Camden
-Newberry
Please do not send your children to the Christian academy in Newberry! A child that I know very well has gone there for his entire school career, and as a teacher myself I don't find the curriculum satisfactory. All they do is worksheets out of a book that would be traditionally used for homeschooling, and I don't feel like it's the best thing they could be doing. I haven't been to the school personally, but the kid is 12 now. I looked at his science workbook, and all the problems were in this format: "On the first day, God created _____. On the second day, God created _____." I know it's important to implement Christian principles into a Christian school, but they don't learn any real information. Also, the projects they have them do are way too structured and if they don't do it exactly as they were supposed to they get a bad grade. This results in eight identical projects where the kids don't learn anything new, or get to use their creativity or imagination. The kid I know is very creative, but I have seen his creativity be diminished as he's gone along in the grade levels. I supplement this by doing activities with him after hours, but I can't undo all the damage that has been done at this horrible school.I also don't find their disciplinary practices to be developmentally appropriate.

End rant, haha.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM

334 posts, read 622,218 times
OR you could look into something in NC. step out of your comfort zone, learn to think for yourself a little, just because others have a different point of view doesn't mean it's wrong, ya know. Lots of cities have churches, and rural NC is full of them! plus, the education system is so good and it try's to keep college affordable for it's residents! Take a chance, broden your horizens! Could be fun. It's a big ole world out there you're a part of, take some time to see whats out there. It's FUN! I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina