U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM

29 posts, read 38,375 times

Advertisements

So here's our scenario. Me and my fiance are 25 and live in PA. No kids. Our lease is up June 30th and desperately want to get out of here.

Shortly after I started college over 4 years ago I wanted to relocate to Florida. I graduated from college last May with a 4 year degree in MIS and applied for 11 jobs in Florida and got no responses, was offered a full time job here and accepted it. After this winter I am sick to my stomach I stayed here another year and just want out of here! Like I said, my degree is in MIS so I have a "desk job", but I don't love what I'm doing. In fact, I made more money bartending in college, than I do now, and I enjoyed it a lot more. My fiance has been working for a family company since he's 17 and it's all he's ever done. It's a unique but simple job, so he's not trained in doing anything else. His dad own's a gun shop as part of the company and so he's really knowledgable in guns, I could see him opening a shop someday or a shooting range.

We would like to live somewhere he could walk into the woods from our backyard or at least set up a target of some sort. But we don't want to live too far out of a city - maybe 30 minutes to an hour tops.

I started applying for jobs I'm overqualified for in the Charleston area considering my degree but have had no responses. I've heard that people don't take you as serious when you don't live in the area. We've heard a lot of good things about the Summerville area but have only spent time in Myrtle Beach (don't really want to live anywhere touristy).

So I'm thinking we should compile a list of places to visit and in May we could take a long weekend trip to try to find what suits our style. We are ready to get minimum wage jobs, he said he would work at a construction job (loves to be outside) Lowes, get a CDL, Advanced Auto, anywhere like that, to make money. I would love to bartend or waitress just about anywhere - so that we can get started somewhere new and at least 'get by' until I can get a job using my degree and he can do other stuff and learn what else is out there for him he would like to do.

So my main questions are -

1. Could we 'get by' in a one bedroom apartment off a minimum wage and bartending job together? I think once we get a local address it will be MUCH easier for me to get a job using my degree, although like I said, if I can make more money bartending, I would be happy with just that.

2. What area's would suit our lifestyle best? That is, living near the woods, but being about 30-45 min from a city or similar with lots to do and good nightlife.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

144 posts, read 246,500 times
As long as you were not tugging a long a lot of debt or huge car payments then yes. You should be able to get by on a bar tending job and something with minimum wage.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM

748 posts, read 1,839,750 times
Wow, allison, there are so many directions you could go! I think the best advice right now would be for you to take a look through some of the sub-forums that represent the major metro areas of the state as a starting point. You said you are not really interested in Myrtle Beach, so I would start with Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston (which happen to be the three largest cities and main anchors of their respective regions). You can find the type of suburban/semi-rural environment in parts around each and still be close to more job opportunities, fellow transplants, things to do with people your own age, etc.

If you are planning a trip in May, take a look at the SC map and you'll see that I-26 connects Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston (it's about 3.5 hours between Spartanburg and Charleston with Columbia in the middle). I would focus your search on these areas.

And I think if you were both getting minimum wage and/or serving jobs then you could certainly afford an apartment. Depending on what type of community and how "nice" you want, there are decent apartments averaging in the $500-low $600s for a 1BR.

Since you mentioned the interest in bartending and waitressing - I know you said you didn't really like Myrtle Beach, but I will tell you that usually every summer there are tons of these type of jobs that become available in Myrtle Beach. It's very common for young people in their late teens and twenties to flock to Myrtle from all over the place, get jobs in restaurants, find a place to crash for three months, and spend the summer at the beach. Every time I go over the summer and get to talking to waitresses it is always the same story. That's not to say you can't find that type of work anywhere else, just that there is usually a huge need for seasonal workers in Myrtle.

Anyway, good luck and post more questions if you think of them!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 AM

843 posts, read 2,389,222 times
NE Columbia has FN Manufacturing, which specializes in small arms for military/LEOs. Their site is just clocking for me right now, but they have a link from the main page for 'career opportunities'. I don't know what their requirements are, but it might be something for your husband to look into.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 22,863 times
Come to Columbia. Checkout the craigslist for apartments and be diligent. You can bartend downtown or serve and pay for your house and utilities in a week. Plenty of Lowe's, gun ranges, gun stores, or construction jobs available. Amazon will be here in Lexington soon. Go to "The State" newspaper and "The Free Times" and stay abreast. You can find a job bartending in "Five Points" or "The Vista". Just a few simple ways to get started.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM

9,429 posts, read 13,055,211 times
What's MIS?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

783 posts, read 1,142,374 times
Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartanburg are all good areas. Charleston's cost of living is higher than the rest of the state, especially the closer you get to downtown and the beaches.

Sounds like you want a bit of "country" in your selection too. Given that, I would also recommend Anderson and Pickens counties, west of Greenville. You're close enough to the larger city (Greenville) that you won't feel isolated, yet the cost of living is lower and you'll have plenty of room to roam. Having Clemson University closeby also gives you a bit of nightlife/entertainment, at least when school is in session. That would also put you less than 2 hours from Atlanta, if you want to get away to the "big city" for an overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina