Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Looks like Charleston, Beaufort, Columbia and Greenville are getting nuclear radiation fall out from Japan according to this map I found that DrudgeReport.com linked to. Aren't we lucky (not)?

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/Loop/NatLoop_Small.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
That's pretty weaksauce trolling. 1/10 at best.

You posted a link to a NOAA Doppler radar map set on a loop. It's weather, not radiation.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
That's pretty weaksauce trolling. 1/10 at best.

You posted a link to a NOAA Doppler radar map set on a loop. It's weather, not radiation.
This is better. Still it is carried by the weather isn't it? Those areas getting rain are getting it worse (and I'm not trolling). I live here too and am exposed to it just like others. I think it is nice to know how bad it is and to maybe stay indoors on bad days.

Video simulation shows radiation cloud bearing down on Washington | Republic Assembly

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I'd still think the amount/intensity of radiation gradually leaking from Fukushima is very little compared to Chernobyl, and the world didn't end after that (except for the "dead zone" immediately around that plant).

Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 PM

55 posts, read 129,793 times
The current situation at Fukushima is very different from the what happened at Chernobyl. When Chernobyl failed, the explosion exposed the bare core, and partially expelled it directly into the atmosphere (there was no containment structure like the reactors at Fukushima have). Additionally, the graphite used inside the core was flammable, which produced an open air fire releasing additional radioactive smoke.

At Fukushima, the only atmospheric release has been the steam from cooling water boiling off, and none of the cores are directly exposed. They are currently dealing with the opposite problem; instead of the radiation being released into the air, it's largely been collecting in all of the water they've been pumping through the reactors. This has the potential to contaminate the surrounding soil, ground water, and sea water, with one concern being the local fisheries which the region is so heavily dependent on.

In short, what's happening at Fukushima is defiantly a big deal and has the potential to get worse, but it's a much different problem then what happened at Chernobyl. As far as the map linked to above, I can't read what the units are so it doesn't provide me with any information. The 'intense' areas may be levels of concern, or only slightly above background levels. Based on the limited release directly into the atmosphere however, I would bet on the latter. The real problem is with all of the water currently under the reactors, not with what's in the sky.

Here is a handy chart to put exposure units into perspective. Of particular note is that spending one day at one of the highest measured sites outside of the plant (the measurements that made sensationalist headlines the middle of last month, but dissipated quickly) is comparable to a single mammogram. Again, I'm not saying what's happening at the plants is no big deal, but the effects are more localized then what happened at Chernobyl with fallout being a much lesser issue.

Radiation Dose Chart

Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'd still think the amount/intensity of radiation gradually leaking from Fukushima is very little compared to Chernobyl, and the world didn't end after that (except for the "dead zone" immediately around that plant).
Haven't you been listening to the news? It is common knowledge that it is exponentially worse than Chernobyl. What is bad for us is the constant exposure and build up of low levels over a long period of time from the overall wind and weather direction that brings everything from Japan our way!

Eat your Miso and Sea veggies. Needless to say, I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina