Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times

Advertisements

[quote=Scotty011;20884969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Exactly! But they don't really believe that Greenville can stand up against Charleston.....it is just an act that they put on to cover up their inferiority complex!

I have said it before......Greenville is a nice small city and that is where it ends. And I own a home in Greenville and can still see reality![/quotE

Greenville and the upstate have always been jealous of Charleston. They know that they can't compare with Charleston. They are outclassed.
It is not just Charleston though......if anybody says anything about Greenville that does not make it look like the perfect city they become unraveled.....sad!

Greenville is a nice city, with a pretty downtown and there is no doubt about that.......but it is not on Charleston's level. The sad part about it is that the pretty downtown is one of the only things that Greenville has going for it. After you leave the downtown area the rest of the area is just not visually appealing to look at. Unfortunately most of the money in Greenville is spent making the downtown attractive while the rest of the area is left with fast food joints, gas stations, run down strip malls (Woodruff road, Pelham road & Haywood road is the exception) and just a lot of sprawl. Like I said on another thread.....when I mention Charleston SC to people here in NYC they instantly know about Charleston......not the same for Greenville!

It is just not in Charleston's league and unfortunately the truth hurts some people. Great that people have pride in Greenville......but please accept reality!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Reading this thread makes me want to get drunk. Oh and I think both cities are great.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
[quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Greenville is a nice city, with a pretty downtown and there is no doubt about that.......but it is not on Charleston's level. The sad part about it is that the pretty downtown is one of the only things that Greenville has going for it. After you leave the downtown area the rest of the area is just not visually appealing to look at. Unfortunately most of the money in Greenville is spent making the downtown attractive while the rest of the area is left with fast food joints, gas stations, run down strip malls (Woodruff road, Pelham road & Haywood road is the exception) and just a lot of sprawl.
When you leave both cities' downtowns, you have the exact same sprawl and chains. Are Charleston's Walmarts nicer? Don't think so. Not sure I see your point... The Charleston that every romanticizes about is not the whole picture. I love Charleston, but I'm confused as to why you think the two metros are so different? Geographically and economic basis, yes, but that's pretty much where it stops.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Most people hurling insults about the cities being discussed here probably haven't lived in both. I have. They are both great cities.

To me, Charleston's advantages are living on/near the water, access to the beach, some great restaurants, and the incredible amount of history. It's very charming. On the flip side, the city's insistence on protecting anything even remotely historical has resulted in some progressive developments not happening. The air frequently stinks from the smell of pluff mud. There is also the risk of having a hurricane, and higher insurance costs to go along with it. I also feel that a lot of people who live in Charleston are fairly ignorant of other cities - even in SC. They think Charleston is the center of the universe - or at least the envy of it. I like Charleston, but can honestly say "I've had better."

Greenville is a very different animal altogether. Rather than being a tourism city like Charleston, it is a business city. Greenville feels more "New South," as opposed to Charleston's "Old South" feel. Greenville also has some great restaurants, but not quite to the level of Charleston yet. It's very close to the mountains, which I find to be a wonderful asset. You don't really have the risk of any natural disasters in Greenville, and cost of living is a little less. I have found people in Greenville to be generally friendlier, despite being from all over the country (and world).

Again, both are great cities, each with their own advantages. I personally find Greenville to be a much better place to live, and Charleston a nice place to visit occasionally. To each his own.
I agree. I absolutely LOVE Charleston and the area around Charleston (Shem Creek, Mt. Pleasant, etc, etc). I also absolutely LOVE Greenville. Both are great in my opinion. Each have a unique and a distinct vibe.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Greenville is a nice city, with a pretty downtown and there is no doubt about that.......but it is not on Charleston's level. The sad part about it is that the pretty downtown is one of the only things that Greenville has going for it. After you leave the downtown area the rest of the area is just not visually appealing to look at. Unfortunately most of the money in Greenville is spent making the downtown attractive while the rest of the area is left with fast food joints, gas stations, run down strip malls (Woodruff road, Pelham road & Haywood road is the exception) and just a lot of sprawl.
You obviously haven't spent much time in the Charleston metro, NewYorkBorn. Drive out US 17 S into West Ashley, Rivers Avenue and Northwoods Avenue in North Charleston, Trolley Road in Summerville, etc. and you will see plenty of ugly suburban sprawl. Mount Pleasant is a nice area overall, but much of it is filled with the ugly fast food joints and gas stations you dislike so much.

In addition, the stretch of US 17 between the termination of I-26 and downtown Charleston is one of the ugliest and most poverty-stricken areas you'll find in any of the state's big three metros. It extends not far from the quaint and charming areas of downtown Charleston.

Again, Charleston is a great city but to paint it as some sort of amazing city that is far above Greenville is stupid. Your repeated attempts to disparage Greenville at all costs has gotten tiresome.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
The sister is angry. See it all of the time. It's Greenville's fault she failed.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:06 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
[quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320][quote=Scotty011;20884969]

When I mention Charleston SC to people here in NYC they instantly know about Charleston......not the same for Greenville!
[quote]

I think that's another reason why I like Greenville over Charleston. I like the idea that many people haven't heard of it. It keep them away & keeps Greenville from being over crowded. Just because some people have or haven't heard of said place doesn't make it better.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
[quote=reed067;20935990][quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320][quote=Scotty011;20884969]

When I mention Charleston SC to people here in NYC they instantly know about Charleston......not the same for Greenville!
Quote:

I think that's another reason why I like Greenville over Charleston. I like the idea that many people haven't heard of it. It keep them away & keeps Greenville from being over crowded. Just because some people have or haven't heard of said place doesn't make it better.
You hint on something that I think makes this thread a little silly. While you like a less crowded town in Greenville, others like a little more. And, one is not better than the other, just different. Some may like Charleston while others like Greenville or another city. At the end of the day, either place would have what 90% of the population needs/wants, it all depends on what a person is looking for or job opportunities. For me, if I had to move to either city, I would most likely end up in the Greenville area for family reasons. However, I would miss being close to the beach and walking around in a city that can't be duplicated anywhere.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

You hint on something that I think makes this thread a little silly. While you like a less crowded town in Greenville, others like a little more. And, one is not better than the other, just different. Some may like Charleston while others like Greenville or another city. At the end of the day, either place would have what 90% of the population needs/wants, it all depends on what a person is looking for or job opportunities. For me, if I had to move to either city, I would most likely end up in the Greenville area for family reasons. However, I would miss being close to the beach and walking around in a city that can't be duplicated anywhere.[/quote]

I agree with you it really comes down to personal taste then anything else. I prefer the mountain air to the ocean. Yes jobs are important as well. Greenville is close to one of my favorite cities Asheville. Yet there are no jobs there unless your into the tourist/hospitality business. I love the small town feel as well. Your right this thread is a bit silly it's like comparing Autumn to spring it's all about opinion.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
[quote=reed067;20935990][quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320][quote=Scotty011;20884969]

Quote:

Cities with name recognition attract more people......more people coming to that city means more/better quality jobs for residents. While I understand the appeal for many to keep the crowds away.....I believe doing so will also keep better quality jobs and progress away too. Notice I said "better quality jobs" and not just more jobs. Greenville does not exactly have the most diverse job market.....which is exactly what keeps it from becoming so well known!

Have to strike some kind of balance.....do not want to have a city that caters mainly to retirees because it's economy does not offer enough jobs and also do not want a city that depends only on tourism. A great city will have both.

Just my opinion......but yes it all comes down to preferences and people's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina