Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

JOHNS ISLAND, S.C., May 16 (UPI) -- South Carolina police said a photographer and 25 models who posed nude beneath a tree in a public park were detained for two hours, but no charges were filed.

California-based photographer Jack Gescheidt said he and a documentary film crew were photographing the nude group beneath an Angel Oak tree rumored to be 1,400 years old at a Johns Island park to raise awareness of development plans nearby he said could threaten the tree, The (Charleston, S.C.) Post and Courier reported Monday.

Read more: 25 pose nude beneath tree - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I have seen the Angel Oak and it is amazing. At an estimated age of 1,400 years old, it is the oldest living thing east of the Mississippi. They can't drill into it to test its true age, because doing so would kill the tree.

I have to tell you, when you see this tree, when you stand beneath branches that stretch out a hundred feet in each direction; you are truly humbled by it. To know that this tree has survived for so many centuries, has been witness to so much change, stood tall through so many storms, it really makes you stand in awe of its beauty. If you've never visited Angel Oak, make plans to do so.

I pray that this development does not happen. We all know, full well, that once it's built, nothing around the Oak will ever be the same. All it takes is one mistake, one sewer line break, one careless hotel guest setting the place on fire, one SOMETHING that is unforeseen, to destroy one of the most majestic things that we could ever see. The Oak has enough natural disasters to contend with, let's not bring man-made ones into the picture.

I'm not a tree hugger, but a 1400 year old tree needs to be protected. We're not talking about a snail darter here. The photo stunt worked to bring visibility (no pun intended) to Angel Oak.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
While I certainly understand what the photographer was trying to do, I fail to see how nudity has anything to do with it. I'm certainly no prude, but there are other ways to attract attention.

There was a similar tree near where I grew up on the Gulf Coast, called the Inspiration Oak. Back in the early 90's someone intentionally vandalized it and killed it. Really sad & infuriating.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,842 times
I hope they preserve it also. Beautiful tree. Photographer does beautiful work also.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
It should be a landmark and protected. That is the problem with so many development projects today. They try to pave over nature instead of building alongside it or within it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina