U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 PM

18 posts, read 126,326 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize that parts of CA have the K4 program. Up where I'm at, the only option is private preschool which is where my son is now. And thanks for the heads up on Orchard Park Elementary. When we talked to the school district a while back, they informed us that kindergarteners were exempt from the hiring freeze (which has prompted us to make sure we move before he starts 1st grade).

I'll definitely contact the school district and ask them about the cirriculum. I'm sure that it all depends on the child as to whether or not K4 is worthwhile or not.

Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM

313 posts, read 719,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5smom View Post
I didn't realize that parts of CA have the K4 program. Up where I'm at, the only option is private preschool which is where my son is now. And thanks for the heads up on Orchard Park Elementary. When we talked to the school district a while back, they informed us that kindergarteners were exempt from the hiring freeze (which has prompted us to make sure we move before he starts 1st grade).

I'll definitely contact the school district and ask them about the cirriculum. I'm sure that it all depends on the child as to whether or not K4 is worthwhile or not.

Thanks again!!!
Where are you in Central Ca? I should have mentioned that my daughter is in a private school. I don't know of any public schools that offer K4, just head start. Her school is K4-12th.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM

I'm in the Sacramento area. My kids are currently in a daycare that also is an accredited preschool and kindergarten.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 PM

313 posts, read 719,611 times
Well thats cool. You're not too far from me. What types of things are your kids doing in the preschool program? My sister is wondering for my nephew if she should go with a traditional preschool or try and find a K4 program. I have no idea what schools are like other than the one that my daughter goes to. I know that they start things a lot earlier now, than when I was a kid.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 PM

There's a large emphasis on socialization. Some preschools are more academic, some are more social. We put our son in Merryhill because it offered the right balance of social and academic for him. Most of the day is spent in free play and they really encourage imaginative play (a big concern for me). I would say that in a typical day, only 2 hours are spent in true academics, the rest is either "themed learning" or free play.

The school year just started a couple weeks ago, so they haven't done much yet. He started there last year just before he turned 2. Currently he knows all his shapes and colors, can count to 20, can recognize all the letters of the alphabet, recognizes his name when written and has a pretty extensive vocabulary. He can even say a few words in Spanish (I don't know if that's from the school or from Dora the Explorer, though). The themed play basically covers "life skills" like going to the dentist, a day at the farm, learning parts of the body, learning about construction (the big machinery), they have the local zoos bring in animals (Folsom Zoo was there a couple weeks ago), they have the kids make up and perform their own little plays, they sing lots of songs and read stories that pertain to that week's theme. I guess it would be learning through play? It's kind of hard to describe. I would definitely recommend Merryhill. We love it and the teachers there are fabulous (although it IS a tad pricey).

Have your sister visit some of the private preschools like Merryhill, Phoenix schools, La Petit Academie, etc. That's what I did. Just watching the class for a little while can give her a good feel if it's the right match for her child. Good luck!

Last edited by Danny5smom; 09-05-2006 at 11:34 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
Default I may have an answer

Sorry this is coming so late and your child may be too far in school to go now, but I found out about Montessori school right before my daughter turned 3. I got here in the program at the perfect time. She began to read only 4 months later. She is a very gifted child, but she is being accommodated as opposed to "state paid babysitting". Since she is gifted, she will begin 1st grade early (in the middle of the semester) as is their custom to teach at the level of each individual child - which is not 100% based on age. It is rediculous to think that every child reaches a certain level at age 4 and magically in the fall of the year they are allowed to start kindergarten, they reach the level they should be. Montessori is a very unique approach that has been used in European schools for at least 30 years or more. There isn't necessarily an age cut off. The first "plane" as it is called, is 3-5 yrs. Once they have mastered the skills for this level and they are changing physically as well as socially, they ultimately enter into 1st grade already knowing basic math, literature, even creative writing. These aren't genious children, they just have the best technique. And don't even get me started on behavior. These are the best behaved children you will ever meet.
The only school I can speak for, which is truly very traditional montessori, is www.melcsota.com.
Hope this helps,
Proud Parent

Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 598 times
I am from the upstate of South Carolina. Dorman is an amazing school but it is the size of a college , to me I feel as if they won't get the hands on teaching they need because of so many students. Boiling springs and Chapman high school are the ones I went to and I graduated with flying colors without any problems . Both schools take there time and pride in making sure every student understands what they need to know. Spartan High has one of the highest drop out rates and violence rates in South Carolina .

Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 PM

221 posts, read 230,880 times
FYI this post is from 2006-2007....

Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 2,579,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarfield View Post
FYI this post is from 2006-2007....
It is Halloween after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina