U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 93,331 times
Default What is K4?

I posted this elsewhere a little while back. I have a question regarding kindergarten. I know that there are two different kindergartens (K4 and K5). Coming from California, we have preschool (optional) and then the kids enter kindergarten at the age of 5 (cutoff is December 1st). My son will miss the SC cutoff date by literally 10 days, so when we talked to the school district, they informed us that he'd probably do very well in K4. I had hoped that maybe they'd be flexible with the Sept. 1st cutoff, but that was not the case (not angry about that, after talking to someone at the school district I completely understand why). So, here's my question: is the K4 program like preschool (where I am in CA preschool is used mostly to socialize the kids with some, but not a lot of academics), or is it more like kindergarten for the younger kids with more emphasis on the academia? I don't know anything about it other than it's designed to accommodate those kids very close to the cutoff. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had their children in the K4 program (or know anyone who has) and if so, maybe you can tell me what exactly it is. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 07:53 PM

726 posts, read 2,370,833 times
State paid baby sitting. A waste of my children's time.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 AM

That's what I was afraid of. The issue is that my child really DOES need to go to the regular kindergarten, but he'll be 4 that school year. With the inflexibility of SC school district (not bashing them, I do understand that they can get in major trouble with the State), I'm terrified he'll be bored and then labeled a trouble maker. So, now my next question is when the kids get into the school system, how hard is it to get them moved ahead if that's necessary.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM

2,357 posts, read 171,035 times
I'm definitely not an expert, but I believe K4 is pretty critical for developing social skills - particularly interaction with other kids their age.

If I had kids, I wouldn't send them to 75% of South Carolina's public schools, though. So your mileage may vary.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM

76 posts, read 207,866 times
anonymous,
Which schools would you recommend in the upstate region?
Thanks.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM

2,357 posts, read 171,035 times
I'm probably not the person to ask - I'm from the lowcountry, where the public schools are bad. Even a small town of 3,000 or 4,000 people would have a private school. The upstate has its good and bad schools, but they are consistently better than the lowcountry.

You can check out a website called "School Matters" with some good statistics.

In Greenville, Wade Hampton & JL Mann are pretty good schools. WH supposedly has a great I.B. program. Greenville High is supposed to be pretty good as well. I don't know much about Spartanburg - I know smart kids that have come from Dorman High and Spartanburg High, and I think both are fairly good.

For the most part, our public high schools are very polarized. Your child can be in the top classes (I'm not sure what they call it - honors/college prep/AP/IB) and get a great education, just as good as any public or private school in the country. But the other 80% of the school might be dropout material. So the statistics can be very skewed. The numbers are more indicative of the quantity of smart kids, not the quality of the top level of students.

On a side note, this is why it is so critical for your child to go to a good elementary/middle school. Obviously they are going to separate the 'smart kids' and the 'not-smart kids' in high school, but probably much less so for K4-8th grade. So in 3rd grade, for example, the 'best' and the 'worst' are all lumped together. This would be my main concern.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM

48 posts, read 141,389 times
When my child went to school in Spartanburg's district 6, the smart kids were separated to some degree starting in elementary school. In high school (at Dorman), my daughter took all honors and AP courses and got a very high-quality education. She was a National Merit Scholarship recipient and scored 1450 on her SAT.

As Anonymous stated, the statistics can be very misleading. Her graduating class consisted of over 600 students, so if you just looked at averages, you might be led to believe that the school offered less of a quality education than it actually did.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:45 PM

We're looking in the Fort Mill area (Baxter Village to be exact) and I know the schools there are pretty good. My son is currently in preschool here in CA, so I'm not too worried about the socialization - he's my little social butterfly. For him, my main concern is academics. I'm guessing I'll need to sit down and talk to someone at the elementary school he will be attending. I'll add that to my list of things to do when we go out there in April.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM

313 posts, read 531,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5smom View Post
I posted this elsewhere a little while back. I have a question regarding kindergarten. I know that there are two different kindergartens (K4 and K5). Coming from California, we have preschool (optional) and then the kids enter kindergarten at the age of 5 (cutoff is December 1st). My son will miss the SC cutoff date by literally 10 days, so when we talked to the school district, they informed us that he'd probably do very well in K4. I had hoped that maybe they'd be flexible with the Sept. 1st cutoff, but that was not the case (not angry about that, after talking to someone at the school district I completely understand why). So, here's my question: is the K4 program like preschool (where I am in CA preschool is used mostly to socialize the kids with some, but not a lot of academics), or is it more like kindergarten for the younger kids with more emphasis on the academia? I don't know anything about it other than it's designed to accommodate those kids very close to the cutoff. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had their children in the K4 program (or know anyone who has) and if so, maybe you can tell me what exactly it is. TIA.

I know that you are asking about the schools in SC but I have my daughter in a K4 program here in Ca. They are working on the alphabet, and writting/recognizing their letter and numbers. She has been in for a week and a half. They also do coloring, group games during PE and class room play. Maybe the K4 there will be similar to what my daughter is doing here? I know a lot of the stuff that they are doing is for social but they are also doing things that I was doing in regular K back in 1984-85. I would call the school back and find out exactly what they will be doing in K4 if you are really wanting to know.
Thats hard when he is so close to the cut-off date. My daughter could have actually started K this year but we will be moved by next year. Their cutoff is also Sept 1st but her bday is not until Nov. I wanted her to be about the same age as the other kids not a year younger. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 AM

2,477 posts, read 5,835,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5smom View Post
We're looking in the Fort Mill area (Baxter Village to be exact) and I know the schools there are pretty good. My son is currently in preschool here in CA, so I'm not too worried about the socialization - he's my little social butterfly. For him, my main concern is academics. I'm guessing I'll need to sit down and talk to someone at the elementary school he will be attending. I'll add that to my list of things to do when we go out there in April.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I agree with the poster above (call them directly or if you don't want the phone expense...e-mail them). You might also want to check with the school in regard to the current freeze at Orchard Park Elem. (new students that are within the Orchard Park Elem boundaries are sent to another elementary school within the district). I will also add that I have not seen or heard that any one school is any better than the others in the district...but something I thought you might want to be aware of.

My children attend the Fort Mill School District (we came from CA) and have felt that the curriculum was far easier for my children in CA...than it has been with this district (others I know from CA...have felt the same). We have been here close to 3 years now and are very pleased with the education that they are receiving.

Good Luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina