Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,584,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Why do you have GSP in your handle? Shouldn't it represent a city you support, not dislike? Maybe GSP hate is a more appropriate name.
Red....I am there a ton visiting family, I spent most of my life there. It just gets old hearing the same old song.........Greenville is great, Columbia sucks, Charleston sucks etc.....We are better than anyone, look at our awards from Garden & Gun (circulation of 1,000)..In the end, both cities are very livable and have much more in common than does Greenville with Charlotte. Just not sure why some Greenville posters seem obsessed with Columbia, it simply makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM

5,465 posts, read 8,247,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Because GSP101 is also Spartan who used to live in the upstate for who knows how long.
Are you kidding me? Wow!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Red....I am there a ton visiting family, I spent most of my life there. It just gets old hearing the same old song.........Greenville is great, Columbia sucks, Charleston sucks etc.....We are better than anyone, look at our awards from Garden & Gun (circulation of 1,000)..In the end, both cities are very livable and have much more in common than does Greenville with Charlotte. Just not sure why some Greenville posters seem obsessed with Columbia, it simply makes no sense.
What? I could care less about it. How did it get in here? Sorry that you don't feel that pride that we do for the work we've done here. That won't stop us from thriving.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,640,598 times
Jeez...just went back and read the last few pages of this thread. Talk about a hornet's nest that got stirred up for no reason. Personally, I think Greenville and Charleston both have amazing downtowns. I love both of them.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Wow!
Nope...not kidding. Don't see what the big deal is though. There's a lot of forum members on UP who are also on here with different usernames.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM

12,742 posts, read 18,538,602 times
Columbia's planned classical design tops them all. It is a gracious, unpretentious city with a balanced economy and great bones. And it parties past 2 a.m.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Jeez...just went back and read the last few pages of this thread. Talk about a hornet's nest that got stirred up for no reason. Personally, I think Greenville and Charleston both have amazing downtowns. I love both of them.

Nope...not kidding. Don't see what the big deal is though. There's a lot of forum members on UP who are also on here with different usernames.
I'm just appalled that he slaps the area so badly. I left my home and would never put it down. If I have nothing good to say about my home, I keep quiet.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,995,769 times
Quote:
Greenville's Main Street wins "Best Places in America" Award Video Anthropologie isn't coming to downtown Greenville with tax incentives either.
You realize that you have to join the American Planning Association in order to be recognized? In other words, Greenville PAID for this recognition.

I think Greenville is a great little town. It just isn't on the national scale some of you would like it to be.

For what it's worth, even Myrtle Beach has an Anthropologie. It's nothing to brag about.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You realize that you have to join the American Planning Association in order to be recognized? In other words, Greenville PAID for this recognition.

I think Greenville is a great little town. It just isn't on the national scale some of you would like it to be.

For what it's worth, even Myrtle Beach has an Anthropologie. It's nothing to brag about.
The 3 metro areas are similar in size, so if Greenville is a little town, so are the others. MB has the store because of tourism, not sheer size.

Last edited by DSMRE; 08-01-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,640,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Didn't realize that but thanks for the info.

Just defending the city I live in. Nothing wrong with that. I wasn't bashing yours and even stated that Charleston has a beautiful downtown which I love. I agree that Greenville doesn't have the national recognition Charleston has also.

Where in the world was I bragging about Anthropologie coming here? All I stated is that they won't be using tax incentives.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,584,435 times
Quote:
I'm just appalled that he slaps the area so badly. I left my home and would never put it down. If I have nothing good to say about my home, I keep quiet.
Sorry if you think I am slapping the area, I am not. But, I am trying to be realistic. Much has been said about Greenville having a nationally respected downtown. I disagree. While nice, it does not have the depth to be considered a national city....sorry. When I lived in the upstate, I would get just as irritated as you do when people did not feel the same way about the area. But, after being in Charlotte for a while, I see it a little differently.

All three SC cities are very livable and provide amenities for anyone who lives there. Most have been covered so, in the end, it depends on what you are looking for in a city. If you want to be on the coast, Charleston is great, if you want more of a foothills feel, Greenville is the choice, if you want a larger city feel, Columbia is a good choice. So, there is something for everyone which I think is what the OP is getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina