Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times

Advertisements

There is a new developement being built in Pawleys Island mainland called Waverly Crossing (http://www.chicora.com/newhome/Community.asp?CommunityID=69 - broken link).

From the diagrams it looks nice for row townhouses. But is in a peculiar location. It is on the road that leads to the water department (Clearwater Drive) off of Waverly Road and is surrounded by plots of land that are inhabited by old trailers with very low income families living there for many years. The asking prices start at $240k for less than 1500sf which seems a little high considering the current market.

I am wondering if this developement will begin to push some of these low income proerties to sell and there will be more developement or is it going to flop and languish until it is filled up, possibly rented out to more lower income individuals.

Map

Anyone familiar with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
Default taxes and insurance

We have family moving from NY to SC. Do you know how to find out what taxes and insurance - approximately run for Pawleys Island?

they really liked the area and they are seriously interested in purchasing.

However, I believe that being on the water - the insurance on these homes are probably high.

Are there any sites with this type of information?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Just to update the progress of the Waverly Crossing. I happen to live down the road from this new development and have been watching what's going on. Apparently, the entire development sold out on prospectus. They removed the Realtor's office and have begun to lay the sewer lines.

I find it interesting because this development is immediately surrounded by low income trailer lots and small houses. I would imagine that once this thing gets up & running many of those lots will sell for increased value and the builder's will really build the place up. I can hear the prospectors now!

If your family is looking to move to "Pawleys Mainland", that is the unincorporated area of the Waccamaw Neck, taxes are usually below $1500 depending on the size of the lot & the house. The actual Town of Pawleys Island is much, much higher.

Insurance varies too but since they moved the wind pool boudary to the Intracoastal Waterway most of us have suffered with higher rates. The homes on the ocean or east of Hwy 17 can be considerably higher.

My house is located exactly 1.5 miles between the ocean & the ICW. It is on slightly less than a half acre in a non-gated community. Taxes were $1080 this year for a 3800 sqft house (5 br, 3.5 baths). Homeowners insurance is $3000.

If you have a particular property in mind you can search the taxes here:
Georgetown County Tax Search. But after looking at the info, it appears that the taxes quoted are higher than what was actually collected. In January a new law went into effect that reduced the school tax in lieu of a higher sales tax. These figures appear to have the school tax included.

We moved from NY too in 2006. if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM

194 posts, read 748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel from richmond va View Post
We have family moving from NY to SC. Do you know how to find out what taxes and insurance - approximately run for Pawleys Island?

they really liked the area and they are seriously interested in purchasing.

However, I believe that being on the water - the insurance on these homes are probably high.

Are there any sites with this type of information?

any help is greatly appreciated.
Noel,
Taxes and insurance will depend on the homes value and yes property on the ocean and Pawleys Creek will have higher rates. You can go to www.georgtowncountysc.org (broken link) and look up tax records but you would need an address of the property. It would also depend on occupancy 4% vs. 6% assessments and owners age as individuals over 65 years of age get a tax break as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina